NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Hester is the best kick returner ever, he should, and will, go in the Hall of Fame. He has more return touchdowns than any other player. If you're top of any significant stat you'll get into the HoF.

Ray Guy was (is?) the best punter ever and didn’t get into the HoF until about 30 years after he stopped playing.

I’d say you’re probably right and he’ll get in eventually because of his KR legacy, but it definitely shouldn’t be this soon. That said, it’s the weakest class I can remember so maybe that’ll be a justification if he does get in this year.

Former Falcons HC Dan Reeves dead. Threw a TD pass for the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl as well 
Took the Falcons to their 1st Super bowl with that team known as the Dirty Birds. Due to the shit dance RB Jamal Anderson used to do when scoring.

On 31/12/2021 at 19:58, Brummie Clyde said:
On 31/12/2021 at 18:57, Bully Wee Villa said:
Best punter ever should be straight in, too, unless it's a particularly strong year. Though punters have fewer highlight reel plays so aren't always so noticeable. 

Dunno, feel like I spend most of the time watching Da Bears punting

I’ve seen Jacksonville so many times in London, I thought the International Series had been re-named ‘and Anger will punt’.

Any Browns fans watched J.T. O'Sullivan's review of Baker Mayfield? Do you agree or do you think he's being harsh? I've watched a lot of his reviews and I don't remember him being this critical of any QB. Link added for context if anyone hasn't seen it.

Every time I watch Mayfield lately it strikes me that he doesn't really show any signs of a player that has grown significantly since his rookie season. The other thing that I think clouds judgements is that Cleveland is so used to utterly shitty QB play that even a guy who is slightly above average but not really a difference maker will be over-valued by the Browns, so I think they'll probably be guilty of sticking with Mayfield for too long if anything, whereas another franchise that knows what difference-making QB play looks like would pull the plug far more readily. He's also been playing injured a lot, so I can understand why it's difficult to be absolutely certain when it comes to judging him. He does make a lot of mistakes that you wouldn't expect to see in a 4th year starter who truly is a dependable franchise QB, and considering the Browns have one of the better running games and OL's around the NFL, you have to ask yourself what more, if anything, the Browns could actually do to try and get him over the hump. If he's not doing it in his 4th year, and on a team which offers him a lot of help, then I doubt he's ever going to take the next step. I could see him eking out a career as a Fitzpatrick journeyman-type that teams who lack a true franchise QB can rely on for a minimum level of play, because he is a serviceable starter, but I doubt he's ever going to amount to anything much more than that. 

Every time I watch Mayfield lately it strikes me that he doesn't really show any signs of a player that has grown significantly since his rookie season. The other thing that I think clouds judgements is that Cleveland is so used to utterly shitty QB play that even a guy who is slightly above average but not really a difference maker will be over-valued by the Browns, so I think they'll probably be guilty of sticking with Mayfield for too long if anything, whereas another franchise that knows what difference-making QB play looks like would pull the plug far more readily. He's also been playing injured a lot, so I can understand why it's difficult to be absolutely certain when it comes to judging him. He does make a lot of mistakes that you wouldn't expect to see in a 4th year starter who truly is a dependable franchise QB, and considering the Browns have one of the better running games and OL's around the NFL, you have to ask yourself what more, if anything, the Browns could actually do to try and get him over the hump. If he's not doing it in his 4th year, and on a team which offers him a lot of help, then I doubt he's ever going to take the next step. I could see him eking out a career as a Fitzpatrick journeyman-type that teams who lack a true franchise QB can rely on for a minimum level of play, because he is a serviceable starter, but I doubt he's ever going to amount to anything much more than that. 
I think Mayfield is good against poor teams and goes to pieces in big games

38 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Why have they chosen Dallas Reserves vs Philadelphia Reserves as one of the two Saturday games?

Both teams still have something to play for. An Eagles loss opens the door for the Saints, and Dallas can improve their seeding with a win and other results going their way, I think.