Reasons to be Cheerful

Two points, firstly it's £15 quid for a haircut but an extra £2 for a skinfade (worth it)

Secondly, yes I was in a Wetherspoons, I'm not proud of it but I'm sucker for a cheap meal I can order from an app and no have to actually deal with humans 

I will be making no further comments on this matter and apologise profusely for anyone I have caused upset to 

2 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Two points, firstly it's £15 quid for a haircut but an extra £2 for a skinfade (worth it)

Secondly, yes I was in a Wetherspoons, I'm not proud of it but I'm sucker for a cheap meal I can order from an app and no have to actually deal with humans 

I will be making no further comments on this matter and apologise profusely for anyone I have caused upset to 

Sorry mate.  Anyone that can afford to waste 17 notes on a haircut obviously has enough cash to get a meal and beverage without lining a p***ks picket.

You have no justification here.  You can oder McDonalds from an app if that’s your criteria.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Sorry mate.  Anyone that can afford to waste 17 notes on a haircut obviously has enough cash to get a meal and beverage without lining a p***ks picket.

You have no justification here.  You can oder McDonalds from an app if that’s your criteria.

Don't get a pint with a Big Mac, I blame Sturgeon 

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I had the day off work today so went for a haircut (skinfade, £17 gave her £20) then went for a few pints in Wetherspoons and got a curry and a pint for £8.14. Of course Wetherspoons are shitholes owned by a Brexit c**t but you can't argue with value 

I had to Google what a skinfade is.  It wouldn’t suit me.

To judge whether someone paying £17 for a hair cut is too much we first need to know how often they get their hair cut. I'd rather a £17 haircut once a month than an £8 cut every week.

In reality I get mine cut about three times a year whenever I'm abroad as it's far cheaper. Paid £4 last month in Romania.

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I had to Google what a skinfade is.  It wouldn’t suit me.

"Going bald from the bottom up" is an interesting look. There's hope for the comb-over yet.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

No one knows the esteem I hold Bert in better than Bert himself, so I know he can hear this from me.

You are fucking pushing it with this Wetherspoons shit my lad.

Also, nice fade bro x

Could be worse, he could have called it "Spoons". 

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

To judge whether someone paying £17 for a hair cut is too much we first need to know how often they get their hair cut. I'd rather a £17 haircut once a month than an £8 cut every week.

In reality I get mine cut about three times a year whenever I'm abroad as it's far cheaper. Paid £4 last month in Romania.

Bemused as to why saving about £30 a year is worth giving instructions to some babushka in Romanian/Albanian/whatever local language and running the risk of them making a total nick of it with no recourse. 

Getting a haircut in Slovakia was genuinely one of the most stressful interactions of living in the country for a year and at 7 Euros or something was not significantly cheaper. 

14 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Of course Wetherspoons are shitholes owned by a Brexit c**t but you can't argue with value 

The James Watt is sadly now the only pub in Greenock that does a pint of ale (Kelburn Brewery etc.) and was doing so at £1.40 a pop in the run-up to Christmas. It's not my regular haunt but serves a valid purpose. 

The Last Post in Paisley is also any port in a storm territory when waiting on a train at Gilmour Street. It somehow makes the Greenock clientele look positively serene and dignified though. 

Bemused as to why saving about £30 a year is worth giving instructions to some babushka in Romanian/Albanian/whatever local language and running the risk of them making a total nick of it with no recourse. 
Getting a haircut in Slovakia was genuinely one of the most stressful interactions of living in the country for a year and at 7 Euros or something was not significantly cheaper.

For sometime who's actually lived abroad that's an incredibly small-minded take. Why would an Albanian or Romanian hairdresser/barber be any less skilled than a Scottish one?

Secondly, if you can't figure out how to communicate something simple like what hairstyle you want while abroad then perhaps you should stick to the resorts or stay at home.

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Secondly, if you can't figure out how to communicate something simple like what hairstyle you want while abroad then perhaps you should stick to the resorts or stay at home.

This'll be why numbers are the first thing we get taught when learning any new language.

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

For sometime who's actually lived abroad that's an incredibly small-minded take. Why would an Albanian or Romanian hairdresser/barber be any less skilled than a Scottish one?

It's not about their skill, it's about the communication barrier and lack of recourse to identify which options are good and which ones will make you look like an average East German in 1987. 

Half of eastern Europe's are barking so that's the risk that you are taking for an ultimately pathetic price saving. 

I was rather busy doing research entirely in the Slovak language champ so I'd disagree with your concept of the barber being 'something simple' to communicate. How many very strong, non-native speakers of English would walk into a Scottish town and intuitively know what the f**k the barber is talking about? The instructions/dialogue are completely colloquial and therefore not transferable. 

I was rather busy doing research entirely in the Slovak language champ so I'd disagree with your concept of the barber being 'something simple' to communicate. How many very strong, non-native speakers of English would walk into a Scottish town and intuitively know what the f**k the barber is talking about? The instructions/dialogue are completely colloquial and therefore not transferable. 
If you're that vain then you've probably got photos of yourself shortly after getting your hair cut previously, just show that to the barber. Not all communication is verbal.

I've never found it stressful getting my hair cut overseas and often I've ended up meeting some interesting folk and getting a different perspective from the young, educated, English speaking crowd you normally end up conversing with.

I've only had a bad haircut once and that was in Ghana, where you can give them a break for obvious reasons. Even then the receptionist at the hotel used to be a hair stylist and sorted it out for me for free. Despite his lack of experience with my hair type, I did have a very enjoyable chat with the barber about both football and life in a Ghanaian village.

I've never had a haircut abroad but some of the most mental conversations I've ever had have been in barbers.  I once got my hair cut in South Wales and when the barber realised I was from Scotland, he asked me where I was from and when I said Inverness he said he loved the Highlands as there weren't any d*rkies up there and they'd ruined Britain and he was sick of them and he wanted to retire to Scotland because there weren't any there etc.  I was about 19 at the time and the guy had a razor next to my neck so I had to just kind of say "Yeah, it's really nice" and hope he started talking about football or the weather or literally anything else.  

The last time I had a haircut I went to a Turkish barbers in a less salubrious part of Edinburgh and the barber immediately went on a big rant about how the SNP were soft on crime and that when he was 18 he got in a bit of trouble in Turkey so his dad took him to the local police office and a few of the officers beat him up and that set him straight.  Again, I just want a haircut mate, nothing special, short round the back and sides, trimmed on top.

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If you're that vain then you've probably got photos of yourself shortly after getting your hair cut previously, just show that to the barber. Not all communication is verbal.

There's a yawning gulf in vanity/presentability between taking pictures of your haircut and getting a haircut by numbers though. In that zone where probably the vast majority of men reside, verbal communication and clarification is essential. 

I've not always been convinced that even a Scottish barber know exactly what to do tbh: 'a bit off the top' or 'tidied up' is as vague as it gets.