Reasons to be Cheerful

20 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Left the living room about five minutes ago and just heard “jesus Christ get the air freshener, that’s fucking stinking”

My work there is done.

The other day, I produced a room clearer of such power that even I had to leave the room after admitting defeat

My youngest (11) and her pals went into town yesterday for a walk around for the first time. I was a bit nervous about it but they are good kids. Gave her £20 to spend on whatever she liked - and she bought a Mother's Day mug for her mum. 

No idea why but that pleased me no end. Better than I did as a kid.

In the past I have given my mum for Mother's Day a Star Trek Deep Space Nine video (she kindly told me I could keep it as she didn't watch the show) and the C64 game Gryzor (again, as she didn't have a C64 she said I could keep it). 

I used to get my gran a Terry's Chocolate Orange for birthdays, Christmases, and so on. Had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it would always find its way back to me at some point  :whistle

I wonder what happens in the brain that stops us being selfish wee basts and starts us giving things to people because we know they'll enjoy it?

On 12/03/2022 at 21:56, buchan30 said:

Watching the efl highlights with absolutely no idea what any of the scores were in advance.

Except when the commentator starts off with something like "Exeter were looking for a first win on the road this season, and they finally got it at..."

On 14/03/2022 at 16:57, scottsdad said:

My youngest (11) and her pals went into town yesterday for a walk around for the first time. I was a bit nervous about it but they are good kids. Gave her £20 to spend on whatever she liked - and she bought a Mother's Day mug for her mum. 

In the past I have given my mum for Mother's Day a Star Trek Deep Space Nine video (she kindly told me I could keep it as she didn't watch the show) and the C64 game Gryzor (again, as she didn't have a C64 she said I could keep it). 

When I was about 13 my dad asked me if I wanted to contribute to a new iron for mums birthday. I had no idea and agreed. The strop lasted for a week and she would bring it up every year for decades.

11 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

When I was about 13 my dad asked me if I wanted to contribute to a new iron for mums birthday. I had no idea and agreed. The strop lasted for a week and she would bring it up every year for decades.

Even now I get reminded of Gryzor (which was, to be fair, a fantastic game)

On 14/03/2022 at 16:57, scottsdad said:

£5 for the mug, £3 on sweeties.

£12 on 20 Regal king size and a lighter.

IMO.

Always stunned when someone mentions the price of fags. I haven't sold any for about five years, and I think the price must have jumped about 25%.

Always stunned when someone mentions the price of fags. I haven't sold any for about five years, and I think the price must have jumped about 25%.
I'm honestly not sure I could afford to smoke 20 a day. My in-law and her partner apparently go through 60 a day. No idea where they find the money.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm honestly not sure I could afford to smoke 20 a day. My in-law and her partner apparently go through 60 a day. No idea where they find the money.

It's a lot more expensive since Brexit. Before you could buy enough tobacco at a quarter of the price on holiday to last you till your next trip, now you're restricted to 5 packs or 200 cigarettes.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

People have been saying that for about as long as I've been alive!

The thing I find oddest about smoking cigarettes is that it really does just seem to be a thing people do because they're addicted. Nobody really enjoys it, do they? It's just the relief from the cravings that's pleasant. Most other mainstream addictions (caffeine, alcohol), people also seem to enjoy the taste of whatever they're imbibing, at least.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

People have been saying that for about as long as I've been alive!

The thing I find oddest about smoking cigarettes is that it really does just seem to be a thing people do because they're addicted. Nobody really enjoys it, do they? It's just the relief from the cravings that's pleasant. Most other mainstream addictions (caffeine, alcohol), people also seem to enjoy the taste of whatever they're imbibing, at least.

I enjoy it.