Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

That doesn't really seem like essential travel at the moment.

yeah I don't see much scouting travel going on at the moment.
That's assuming there aren't scouts resident abroad... then again even if there were I'm not sure how much access (if any) they'd get to watch games live.

• 2 weeks later...

Turned on about 15 minutes into the Farense game last night. Gauld had a decent enough game but will need to play better to make the Euros squad.

He showed some real moments of quality with a few good dribbles and in particular crossing and set piece delivery. He gave the ball away quite a few times however, particularly on his right side which surprised me as I remembered him as being pretty two footed.

I don't think I've been as excited about a young Scottish player breaking through as I was about Gauld. His close control in tight spaces and vision were a joy to watch and quite rare in a Scottish player. I'd love to see him continue to progress and have a decent Scotland career. I see he's being linked with a move to Braga this morning which might be a move towards that.

Be great if he gets the move to Braga, got a lot of time for Gauld as he didn’t run to the first mid table EFL team that offered him a contract. He’s a small lad and probably would be ignored in many EFL squads as “too small”. I wish more of our lads would try their hand on the continent but the money down South is good and it’s easy due to language and proximity to home. Fair play to Gauld as it didn’t quite work out for him in Portugal to begin with but instead of coming home with his tale between his legs he’s stuck it out and fought his way up the Portuguese leagues and if Braga are interested he’s doing something right. Braga should at least get the SFA coaches looking at him as a possibility for the Squad.

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Be great if he gets the move to Braga, got a lot of time for Gauld as he didn’t run to the first mid table EFL team that offered him a contract. He’s a small lad and probably would be ignored in many EFL squads as “too small”. I wish more of our lads would try their hand on the continent but the money down South is good and it’s easy due to language and proximity to home. Fair play to Gauld as it didn’t quite work out for him in Portugal to begin with but instead of coming home with his tale between his legs he’s stuck it out and fought his way up the Portuguese leagues and if Braga are interested he’s doing something right. Braga should at least get the SFA coaches looking at him as a possibility for the Squad.

Braga is the best move he could possibly make, the highest level he could play at and still be in Portugal and getting game time.  It would be perfect, but I think he'd be better signing a pre-contract with them and going there in the summer.  He just needs as much first team football as possible, and at Braga I don't see him going straight into the team. 

Though you could also argue it would give him a few months to settle in there in preparation for next season, so could look at it either way.  Just nice to see him doing well finally, he's been through a lot to get where he is.

Braga is the best move he could possibly make, the highest level he could play at and still be in Portugal and getting game time.  It would be perfect, but I think he'd be better signing a pre-contract with them and going there in the summer.  He just needs as much first team football as possible, and at Braga I don't see him going straight into the team. 
Though you could also argue it would give him a few months to settle in there in preparation for next season, so could look at it either way.  Just nice to see him doing well finally, he's been through a lot to get where he is.
He's waltz into the Braga team imo

Still at Farense by the looks of it.
Best thing for him. He's found stability at last and at a good level. Nothing to gain by moving to another team in the same league at this stage (and everything to lose). Hopefully he continues to impress for the rest of the season, gets a lookin with Scotland and he can then consider the right move in the summertime.

Best thing for him. He's found stability at last and at a good level. Nothing to gain by moving to another team in the same league at this stage (and everything to lose). Hopefully he continues to impress for the rest of the season, gets a lookin with Scotland and he can then consider the right move in the summertime.
Absolutely. He's clearly the main man there, enjoying his football and producing mom performances in Portugal"s top league. He is only 26 so good few years ahead and I would expect a bigger club to snap him up in the near future.
Staying put right now gives him an excellent chance to make the squad.

Not convinced he'll make it into the March squad at the moment (not necessarily for footballing reasons). He'll be very lucky if he gets a chance to play a friendly before the Euro squad has to be announced as well.
September and beyond is when he could maybe start coming into contention IMO.

Absolutely. He's clearly the main man there, enjoying his football and producing mom performances in Portugal"s top league. He is only 26 so good few years ahead and I would expect a bigger club to snap him up in the near future.
Staying put right now gives him an excellent chance to make the squad.
Only just turned 25, so even more time on his side [emoji106]

6 hours ago, charger29 said:

Not convinced he'll make it into the March squad at the moment (not necessarily for footballing reasons). He'll be very lucky if he gets a chance to play a friendly before the Euro squad has to be announced as well.
September and beyond is when he could maybe start coming into contention IMO.

Absolutely no fucking logic to not calling him up - there's no limit to the squad size and he's clearly someone who the manager should be taking a closer look at!