Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This. 

International football is all about intelligence and technical composure. So f**k if a player is playing in a league perceived as "diddy". If he's ahead of most of our players in those areas then he absolutely should be playing ahead of them. 

The connection between Gilmour and Gauld stood out like a sore thumb. Two players with a bit of composure and intelligence who actually looked like they belonged in an international side compared to the usual headless f**king chickens we trot out.

Yet Clarke continually hooks Gilmour with 10 or so minutes to go. He should be kept on at all times for his game intelligence if nothing else. We always lose our composer in midfield when he is not on the pitch.

Just now, dstuart82 said:

Yet Clarke continually hooks Gilmour with 10 or so minutes to go. He should be kept on at all times for his game intelligence if nothing else. We always lose our composer in midfield when he is not on the pitch.

He’s not the only tbf, Gilmour often got subbed for Brighton as well.

7 minutes ago, dstuart82 said:

It's a bit strange, because he never looks like he's breathing through his arse. He's kinda a one-paced player anyway. Sure, when the situation calls for it he'll put in a burst to get back and cover a gap, or put in a tackle, but he strolls through the bulk of the game at a consistent gentle run anyway, and I've never seen him look like he was just dead on his feet.

It was all the stranger tonight, because by the time Clarke took him off it was obvious Poland had pretty much given up any idea of throwing themselves at us to chase a winner, so the need for someone busting a gut in the centre of the pitch was lessened anyway. At that point, we were in control and looking to press the game, so taking off the one guy who is capable of playing 1st time balls to guys in space and starting something going is even more of a headscratcher.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Thought he was excellent. Whereas Morgan looked like he's used to a lot more time on the ball, Gauld was far more quick of feet and thought. 

Hope he has a big part to play in the next few years.

Gauld and Armstrong together in the MLS is a cheat code

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Will we see all the absolute losers earlier in this thread who took great joy in telling us Gauld would never play for Scotland come forth and admit they were wrong? You could have a field day going back through old posts.

It was still going on up until yesterday. I’m a big fan of The Terrace, but even Fowler on the preview podcast for these games was saying that he almost hoped that Gauld would be rubbish. And you could tell by the context and the way he said it that he was only half-joking.

Gauld has clearly been a good player for a few years now. I don’t think he’s been an egregious omission from the squad over Clarke’s tenure, but I think it’s fair to say he definitely should have been given some kind of chance before now. And yesterday proved why, as he looked tidy and useful most times he had the ball. Nobody thinks he’s going to single-handedly carry us to the World Cup, but he clearly offers something a bit different from our other attacking options and it would have been nice to have seen that before September 2024.

Wishing a player to fail because some people were overly zealous in their calls for his inclusion previously, is a pretty pathetic attitude to have.

16 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Not wanting to take it off topic but it was the same when Shankland was called up as well.

It’s always the ones who think they’re so much cleverer than everyone else.

This is essentially it. People wanting to seem like they can spot players giving an early opinion and then doubling down as time does on. I was big on giving Gauld time at Sporting thinking it would work out but I'm happy to admit I was wrong given how much of a bonfire Sporting turned into over his time there. You'll never get the Burger King jokers doing the same. 

35 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Gauld has clearly been a good player for a few years now. I don’t think he’s been an egregious omission from the squad over Clarke’s tenure, but I think it’s fair to say he definitely should have been given some kind of chance before now.

But this is the thing, there was absolutely no fecking reason why he couldn't have been included in a squad years ago. Nobody is expecting him to be a saviour, but he was clearly good enough to deserve a chance and instead Clarke leaves it until the guy is nearly 29.

He's clearly impressed in training as well, as who honestly expected Gauld to be coming on in the first batch of subs?

Just plain daft!

And nobody is taking any credit in claiming to have been able to spot Gauld's talent - that much was obvious to anyone - most people backing the decision to not include him have always just cited the MLS is a shit standard, which is laughable when we support teams in the SPFL.

Edited by ArabFC

36 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

most people backing the decision to not include him have always just cited the MLS is a shit standard, which is laughable when we support teams in the SPFL.

The main argument against Gauld was that he didn't play well for Hibs in 5 games about 6 years ago. That was hime branded for life as some people were concerned

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Will we see all the absolute losers earlier in this thread who took great joy in telling us Gauld would never play for Scotland come forth and admit they were wrong? You could have a field day going back through old posts.

He’s 28 years old for crying out loud! He should never be called up at that age. Much better to stick with complete diddies who we know for sure aren’t up to it.

13 hours ago, dstuart82 said:

After the sub was made, I looked over to the track and Gilmour started to gesture to someone in a Scotland tracksuit about his thigh, so I wouldn't be surprised to find, on this occasion, there was an injury involved in the decision making, or some kind of protection for Sunday.

As for Gauld, although there's been no clamber from me to get him in the squad, I have always sat on the side of the fence that I thought he should have been in and given the opportunity. So with that in mind I was delighted to see him take the field last night and do so well, especially when you consider that Christie was pretty ineffective in that position. For as disappointing as last night was, I hope this is the break through for him in the national team, I think he's an exciting player that has the ability to make things happen for us.

39 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

After the sub was made, I looked over to the track and Gilmour started to gesture to someone in a Scotland tracksuit about his thigh, so I wouldn't be surprised to find, on this occasion, there was an injury involved in the decision making, or some kind of protection for Sunday.

Gilmour was stretching and limping a bit when Ralston and Doak were getting treatment. Hopefully just a bit of cramp.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Not wanting to take it off topic but it was the same when Shankland was called up as well.

It’s always the ones who think they’re so much cleverer than everyone else.

You're just showcasing the inverse of that attitude right now? 🤨

Genuinely stunned when the camera switched to show Gauld coming on.

The only thing more shocking would be switching on the news and seeing them cover the return of Jesus H. Christ himself  :mellow:

Got me thinking, what other players have we had over the years that people would not shut the f**k up about not getting caps? Obviously Shankland is one. Seem to recall there being similar level of malding over Dorrans and McCormack when they were doing well in the Championship. Kris Boyd. Fletcher and McGregor when Levein fell out with them.