T in the Park 2014

DomDom

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depeche Mode please.

Headline the Saturday and finally the UK will give them the recognition they deserve.

100M+ albums sold

1.5M tickets sold on current Delta Machine tour

Techno pioneers :D

I see you forgot to add that they were shifting tickets for their current tour at half price because they couldn't sell them.

EDIT: UK tour I mean. By all accounts they're still massive in mainland Europe.

I see you forgot to add that they were shifting tickets for their current tour at half price because they couldn't sell them.

EDIT: UK tour I mean. By all accounts they're still massive in mainland Europe.

erm which is my point about them still getting no recognition in the UK.

Which is why they accepted a Best Band In the World award from MTV Europe Awards but refused a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Brits.

Depeche Mode - Techno pioneers? Not having that.

And why not. Ask Laurent Garnier, Dave Clarke, Ritchie Hawtin, LFO, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Soulwax, Aphex Twin, to name a few. they have all mentioned DM as the original techno band.

3 years is still quite a bit of time in between for a band to be headlining festivals like TITP IMO. It's an amazing pick though. They've just done Glastonbury, released another incredible album that stands beside Whatever People Say I Am... and Favourite Worst Nightmare, they're well on top of their game at the moment.

And why not. Ask Laurent Garnier, Dave Clarke, Ritchie Hawtin, LFO, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Soulwax, Aphex Twin, to name a few. they have all mentioned DM as the original techno band.

Techno was founded in Detroit in the early/mid 80's by the likes of Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson and Derrick May who were influenced by a variety of artists. As far back as the sixties folks like Sun Ra were playing about with synthesizers.

Depeche Mode were one of the great innovators of synth pop, i'd never call them techno though.

I'd book Avicii the Friday, a rapper the Saturday (is Kayne impossible?), and Robbie Williams the Sunday. It'd be different and it'd draw.

I was saying that I thought they might consider a major pop star and EDM artist for the other two nights. Can't stick Avicii but can't think of anyone else that could conceivably headline a major festival in the UK. Lady Gaga must be the pop star Ellis is trying to book considering she's back and will be touring a new album.

Archived