T in the Park 2014

DomDom

They're headlining Isle Of Wight this year as well, headlined Reading and Leeds last year and sold out arenas all over Britain. There's also the fact that TITP loves a Scottish headliner. Not a huge fan but I'd say they're big enough.

For me its not that they're not big enough but they have played it so many times before so its just promoting 2 regulars to headliners and using a band that have headlined twice to headline again is disappointing at best

Been disappointed with the line up when its been announced since 2012 although that year there was Noel Gallaghers HFB and Stone Roses who hadn't played at it before and a few other decent shouts, 2013 Rihanna was there who although was pretty shit on the night would have sold a few thousand tickets and raised an eyebrow or 2 but theres nothing from this line up to attract anyone new to go the festival. Cant see this one selling out quickly, although i will make a weekend out of it like i always have done

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're headlining Isle Of Wight this year as well, headlined Reading and Leeds last year and sold out arenas all over Britain. There's also the fact that TITP loves a Scottish headliner. Not a huge fan but I'd say they're big enough.

Fair enough. I'm probably just biased because I think they're pretty shit.

Couldn't see Oasis being a last minute addition. I can see people selling tickets for half face value come festival time with that line up, over the years I've been going a TITP ticket is an investment!

Indeed. I remember the first year I went it was Muse, Eminem and Kasabian. When you look at that compared to this year it's seriously fallen away. Last year at Balado too, thought they'd pull it out the bag! There'll certainly be tickets available right until it kicks off.

Aye, but they're Scottish and they deserve it cos they've played every other stage every other year. Plus the Killers and Kasabian are busy this summer.

You've forgotten the other K band that you can count on if you're missing one rotating mediocre festival headliner. Kings of Leon.

Ultimately if T in the Park were all about giving Biffy Clyro their 'deserved' headlining slot then as a Scottish act and a Scottish festival they should have given it before any other major festival did. Putting them up there after they've already played as headliners at Reading and Leeds just cancels out any sense of occasion over the announcement.

I would agree with this. However I'm sure most folk will enjoy Biffy. They headline the first night so everyone will have arrived, got caught up in the moment and be completely pissed out their mind by the time they come on, and as a band/musicians they're tight as f**k and probably the most experienced live performers in the line-up, given much of their success and reputation was built by hard work, gigging like f**k.

I do think it seems a bit of an anti-climax having them headline now though as TITP's organisers have had plenty previous opportunities and Biffy have now already headlined Reading & Leeds, Radio1's Big Weekend and were main support headliner to Metallica at Download 2 years ago. All of these sets I imagine most folk will have seen on YouTube or TV.

Was at download 2012, they were pretty good but the crowd were quite flat, they're not the band people would want to see before Metallica, I would have put Machine Head in that slot, they were fucking raging they were before Chase and Status.

As a band they are definitely "up there" for UK festival headliners. Having 2 sold out arena tours, a number 1 double album, 6 albums to their name and previous festival headline slots, why wouldn't they be up there. Usually an incredible live band and after playing T 7(?) times they are as worthy as any band.

Rest of the line-up is alright as well.

I've also read they are doing the song for the next Bond film.

:D Aye, right.

So who is? Who's 'current', bigger and more deserving of Biffy's headliner placement?

This should be good...

Not going to provide you with an entire list, but Muse and Kasabian for a start, while Arctic Monkeys are a vastly bigger headliner than the also-rans booked for the other two days. That T in the park have had to rummage around the bins to promote a hum-drum ever-present to headline another day suggests that AM ran away with all the big band money and the festival has run out of other ideas.

It's the only UK festival that seems desperate to specifically appeal/cater to the teens and early twenties age bracket

Tbh I'd say V Fest and Reading & Leeds are also aimed at this market. If anything I'd say T tries to balance between keeping the young crowd happy and sticking older acts like Inspiral Carpets to appease the older crowd who started going in the 90s and still think bucket hats are trendy.

I would argue that Biffy Clyro are equally as big a band as The Arctic Monkeys nowdays, possibly bigger, with arguably a larger worldwide fan-base.

You'd argue and lose, quite convincingly. They're not even remotely on the same level. This is almost as embarrassing as when roasters on this forum considered Kasanian a bigger act than Arctic Monkeys.

It's like comparing Queens' Park Rangers or some other provincial diddy to Atletico Madrid.

Archived