The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If you were an actual old bugger you'd have gone for Bobby Clark..

I’m not proud of it, I’m not happy about it, but old bugger I certainly am. The first keeper I remember for Aberdeen was Tubby Ogston, and undoubtedly Bobby Clark was a great keeper. I saw him play countless times, including a day in March 1970 at Muirton Park, but there is no dispute that Jim Leighton was a better keeper.

49 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If you were an actual old bugger you'd have gone for Bobby Clark Tubby Ogston..

I see kingjoey has already alluded to this, but I'll just leave it.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Greatest Scottish Keeper? Bobby Ferguson. Just for one save on a famous afternoon at Tynecastle. 

Sure he’s still living in Adelaide. Just realised that not only did I see him playing for Kilmarnock but also Adelaide City.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Moustache, maybe, but Goalie? Taking penalties doesn't make you a good keeper. Especially if they come off the woodwork and make you look an idiot scrambling to recover like that time at RP...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/24/hamish-mcalpine-goalscoring-goalkeeper-ballad-song-dundee-united-raith-rovers#:~:text=He eventually missed more penalties,was saved by Hugh Sproat.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

Fair play. I'm trying to remember when he hit the bar against us. It bounced back over his head, but whatever big haddie we'd left upfield made a hash of things so it fizzled out - played the ball backwards if I recall, so your boy's blushes were spared. I'm thinking mid/late seventies, around the formation and early years of the Premier League?

ETA: There's no doubt that he had enough screws loose to make him a "terrace hero" regardless of ability. The Scots version of Chilavert or Higuita?

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Fair play. I'm trying to remember when he hit the bar against us. It bounced back over his head, but whatever big haddie we'd left upfield made a hash of things so it fizzled out - played the ball backwards if I recall, so your boy's blushes were spared. I'm thinking mid/late seventies, around the formation and early years of the Premier League?

ETA: There's no doubt that he had enough screws loose to make him a "terrace hero" regardless of ability. The Scots version of Chilavert or Higuita?

There was a procedure in place for when he missed - I can't for the life of me remember who it was but one of the front line was detailed to give away a foul and break up play.  To be fair, Hamish was pretty nippy getting back though.