The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

@101 60 in the cup. Not sure I agree with the answer to Q9. Your quiz, your rules, fair enough, but....

Spoiler

8th of Scotland, yes, but only 3rd James of both countries as James 1 - V were only King of Scots. VI and VII also predate the UK but were kings of England and Scotland after the Union of Crowns. Any new James would be treated as James III.

10 minutes ago, Snobot said:

@101 60 in the cup. Not sure I agree with the answer to Q9. Your quiz, your rules, fair enough, but....

Hide contents

8th of Scotland, yes, but only 3rd James of both countries as James 1 - V were only King of Scots. VI and VII also predate the UK but were kings of England and Scotland after the Union of Crowns. Any new James would be treated as James III.

Spoiler

I'm sure it's agreed to use the highest number of any of the crown's otherwise it would be Elizabeth the 1st in Scotland right?

@101 

Maybe our constitutional expert Kincardine can chime in but I can’t seem to tag him. 

Spoiler

I always assumed the Elizabeth 1/ 2 thing to be a consequence of England’s assumption of being the dominant senior “partner” in the Union.  On James, he was styled as VI of Scots until the Union of the Crowns and then:-
“He was proclaimed "James the first, King of England, France, and Ireland, defender of the faith" in London on 24 March 1603.“

It is something of a moot point. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm sure it's agreed to use the highest number of any of the crown's otherwise it would be Elizabeth the 1st in Scotland right?

You go by the higher number. The last King James was VII of Scotland and II of England... he wasn't king of Great Britain/the UK as that had yet to be created. If there was another King James he would be James VIII.

All monarchs since the Act of Union in 1707 have taken the higher number... though it has always been the English one. I suspect they deliberately don't pick names that would ensure a higher Scottish regnal number such as James, Robert or David.

We are long overdue another King Lulach, IMO.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, Snobot said:

Hide contents

Agreed! Done me out of a mark (badly needed)!

(tongue in cheek)

Edited by mathematics