Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

8 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Binged the two series of World on Fire, pretty good and keeps you interested with the different storylines going on. Excellent cast too with the likes of Sean Bean, Mark Bonnar, Blake Harrison and Lesley Manville.

enjoyed series 1,got about 15 minutes into s2 and just thought,"nah,this is drivel"

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Finished watching The Sixth Commandment over the last few nights, really enjoyed it despite the grim subject matter. Some fantastic acting in there but Timothy Spall was a standout. Definitely worth a watch 

Just watched that as well, Timothy Spall is always good value. The actor playing Ben Field was chillingly good, a right narcissistic nutter.

Stanley Tucchi: Searching For Italy on iPlayer is about the most middle class programme I’ve ever seen.  A documentary version of the film Sideways.  It’s lively and relaxing, but it does make Italian people out to be universally weird.  Great Sunday morning viewing.  

On 03/08/2023 at 22:50, highlandmac said:

enjoyed series 1,got about 15 minutes into s2 and just thought,"nah,this is drivel"

Tried to watch this series, but as a WWII nerd there were just too many 'haha, f**k off, as if...' moments in it for me to take it seriously.

Seems to be a recurring theme with WWII drama. There is a desperation to shoehorn things into it that are completely incongruous, presumably because modern audiences expect to see minorities and 'unconventional' relationships in drama, even though it's contextually completely out of place. There was a somewhat interesting German series made a few years back, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_War but even that was rendered ridiculous by portraying completely sanitised versions of reality designed to appeal to younger audiences, and depicting certain events/relationships that would have been so contextually improbable that they were patently absurd.

I get that projects have to get funding to get off the ground, and sometimes you have to shave off rough corners for the sake of TV, but suspension of disbelief is one thing, and being expected to just blindly accept utterly ridiculous premise for the sake of drama is entirely another.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 04/08/2023 at 19:15, jimmy boo said:

and they are talking about revealing folk on the strictly dancing pish

It's all the BBC has these days. It'll be fuckin everywhere soon enough. The drones lap it up. 

"I, Claudius" is back on the iPlayer. Well, the first three episodes, at least. They seem to be adding them in threes. If you haven't seen it before, get it watched. It's one of the greatest programmes ever made.

Will also help P&B Quiz League members memorise the order of the Emperors (well, the first five, anyway).

Edit: it's actually the first four episodes on there, they seem to have merged episodes one and two into an extra-long opener.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

You know what annoys me? Reports on BBC news where the voiceover - being delivered in the past tense because it's reporting on events which have happened - is done as an event is happening. It happens with sport, it happens with politicians giving speeches, it looks like an editorial decision to make the events feel as if they're being reported on as soon as they happen and it looks so utterly contrived it drives me nuts.