Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

23 hours ago, The Naitch said:

That was a belting episode of Only Murders in the Building this week. Really liked how they filmed it.

It was very cleverly done. Very different to the rest of the series, and yet totally in keeping with it

On 29/09/2024 at 14:04, Florentine_Pogen said:

'SAMBRE' - BBC iPlayer

We've just binged the 6 episodes of this French 'police procedural' (or non-procedural, in this case) which is based on real events. Tremendous acting and photography. Directed by Jean Xavier de Lestrade, who was also responsible for 'The Staircase'.

Will leave you yelling at the telly due to police disregard towards victims of sexual assault.

Best programme we've seen in a while.

Review from The Guardian in spoiler below.

Thanks for the heads up as I thought it sounded like my kind of thing the way you described it. Absolutely outstanding!! The actual events sound even more horrific but it seems the original book is only available in French.

On 11/03/2024 at 11:17, paranoid android said:

Watching Colin from Accounts on the bbc i-Player again.

Good luck with the merger, Col! 

Watched the second series over a few nights. One of my favourite comedies of recent years. 

On 29/09/2024 at 14:04, Florentine_Pogen said:

'SAMBRE' - BBC iPlayer

We've just binged the 6 episodes of this French 'police procedural' (or non-procedural, in this case) which is based on real events. Tremendous acting and photography. Directed by Jean Xavier de Lestrade, who was also responsible for 'The Staircase'.

Will leave you yelling at the telly due to police disregard towards victims of sexual assault.

Best programme we've seen in a while.

Review from The Guardian in spoiler below.

It was fantastic,wasn't it.some of the Saturday night bbc4 foreign miniseries can be a bit hit&miss but this was outstanding

On 01/10/2024 at 18:27, Ron Aldo said:

Nightsleeper. 

Utter shite. 

That was pretty evident a minute or so into it

On 04/10/2024 at 19:42, jimmy boo said:

it seems the original book is only available in French.

Think the series has been a hit over here so I'm sure that will change

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Stevens and Mccarthy on BBC One at the moment might be the worst thing I've ever seen on TV. 

Watching it gave me cancer.

Re Nightsleeper

It actually managed to generate some tension in places, but the overriding thing about it was just incredible stupidity from all characters, and a chronic lack of any realism whatsoever.

I was particularly seething with the armed police getting on to clear a train of people, and various people telling them no im not getting off until I have done this or that....

Yeah, armed police on counter terrorism business are famed for their easy going approach

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Stevens and Mccarthy on BBC One at the moment might be the worst thing I've ever seen on TV. 

I wonder what the reason was for it's commissioning ? As a comedy it falls at the first and most basic hurdle - be funny ! So there has to be some other reason these two were given a series as they don't possess any comedic talent. 

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Re Nightsleeper

It actually managed to generate some tension in places, but the overriding thing about it was just incredible stupidity from all characters, and a chronic lack of any realism whatsoever.

I was particularly seething with the armed police getting on to clear a train of people, and various people telling them no im not getting off until I have done this or that....

Yeah, armed police on counter terrorism business are famed for their easy going approach

At least when the said they were in Motherwell station they showed the real Motherwell station rather than a studio-set in Elstree.

56 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

At least when the said they were in Motherwell station they showed the real Motherwell station rather than a studio-set in Elstree.

IIRC tho, as they arrived into Motherwell the overhead shots were of a fairly large metropolis 😂

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

IIRC tho, as they arrived into Motherwell the overhead shots were of a fairly large metropolis 😂

The 'Motherwell' station was actually Dalmuir. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Re Nightsleeper

From the first minutes you knew it was going to be complete tosh, but that you’d probably make your way through it all, anyway. In the same vein as Vigil from a few years ago. 

Every character was thick and so much of it was contrived nonsense. There’s a line early on where James Cosmo’s son says something like “he used to drive these things!” and you’re just waiting for that to come obviously into play sooner or later. The amount of exposition from Cosmo’s character was laughable too. 

5 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I wonder what the reason was for it's commissioning ? As a comedy it falls at the first and most basic hurdle - be funny ! So there has to be some other reason these two were given a series as they don't possess any comedic talent. 

You'd imagine that, but the BBC as an organisation is now so poorly structured and run that they gone beyond simple incompetence.

I didn't mind Nightsleeper. It was obviously ridiculous but you have to let go of reality with these kind of shows. As has been said, it at least built a wee bit of tension. 

I do feel sorry for Scottish actors at times. To me the majority sounded absolutely awful (even the big lassie from Two Doors Down). But I think that's because I'm Scottish and know the reality is there's no way 'the King's English' wouldn't be getting spoke in that situation. But they have to for an English audience. To me/us it sounds awful though - similar to River City the one or two times I've glanced at that. 

The thing that pissed me off most was when they were stopped on bridge and they never attempted to get out the open window. Fuds. But then, see my first sentence, I suppose. 

17 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Discovered last night there's an American version of Have I Got News For You. It's worse than you think.

Their version of Whose Line is it Anyway? was f**king chronic, made worse by the fact that it was hugely popular and has taken over from the original on the internet.

This wacky poster doesn't really bode well.

have-i-got-news-for-you-us-v0-73XL7jIUaj

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Their version of Whose Line is it Anyway? was f**king chronic, made worse by the fact that it was hugely popular and has taken over from the original on the internet.

This wacky poster doesn't really bode well.

have-i-got-news-for-you-us-v0-73XL7jIUaj

Is it actually on the CNN news channel?