Show us your pussy..!

Romeo

Right good people of P&B.  As my reliable source of information for a lot of things, Im looking for some pussy advice.

The bairn's birthday is coming up and she's been promised a cat.  Had a look at the Cats Protection (think Biggie mentioned it earlier) and they seem to have a number of pussies but they seem to be older (generally >3 years), although they are chipped etc.

The bairn has her heart on a kitten though so where would be the best place to source such an item?  Had a swatch on Gumtree and there's a couple but anywhere else?

Are the pros and cons of getting a cat from someone line much like buying a car (kick the tyres etc)?

ETA: That pic above is fucking disgusting btw.  Looking forward to some of that.

The cats protection at Arbroath/ Carnoustie , that's your best bet, will probably work out cheaper as well, with  innoculations being neutered etc £50.00 for the cat, and its had the op and all the jags, also cats will just automatically use a litter tray, you don't need to train them.

Just had a look at their site and the youngest one is 12 months, and they've put the price up to £60.00, also if you get a kitten it wouldn't be neutered.

The Arbroath - Carnoustie advice is bang on. However we looked into the Dundee Cats Protection some years ago and was advised that we were outwith the post code and to go to the local branch..

We have used the Arbroath squad more than once and they are excellent IMO.

The only advice I have is that 2 cats are not much more hassle or expense to look after than one. You get extra entertainment when they play / battle with each other, and you feel less guilty being out at work all day because you know they'll be curled up sleeping together.

Right good people of P&B.  As my reliable source of information for a lot of things, Im looking for some pussy advice.

The bairn's birthday is coming up and she's been promised a cat.  Had a look at the Cats Protection (think Biggie mentioned it earlier) and they seem to have a number of pussies but they seem to be older (generally >3 years), although they are chipped etc.

The bairn has her heart on a kitten though so where would be the best place to source such an item?  Had a swatch on Gumtree and there's a couple but anywhere else?

Are the pros and cons of getting a cat from someone line much like buying a car (kick the tyres etc)?

ETA: That pic above is fucking disgusting btw.  Looking forward to some of that.

Your nearest Cats Protection lot are the Aberdeen mob

http://www.cats.org.uk/central-aberdeen/adopt-a-cat-page

CP deal with a lot of cats which will never be rehomed, so you will find they do have a lot of older ones. The Cardyke Farm shelter near Lenzie used to be full of what they termed "lifers" - cats with, for example, eczema or the feline equivalent of Tourettes which meant no one would touch them - who generally got the run of the place as opposed to the others kept in individual cells.

Cheers WTM. I'm actually in Dundee so the Arbroath/Dundee pussy is what I'm after.

Not often you read a brand new combination of words, so well done.

• 5 weeks later...

My cat Suzie. She's 14 next month and came to us from the Cats Protection League.

We should have taken another one to keep her company as I think she's a bit bored during the day.

Wouldn't advise getting a kitten unless you've all day every day to play with it and train it. Suzie came to us fully ready to eat, sleep and shite in the right places (most of the time), to hell with going through that with a kitten.

post-5960-0-26854700-1461326592_thumb.jp

post-5960-0-40139700-1461326607_thumb.jp

Your nearest Cats Protection lot are the Aberdeen mob

http://www.cats.org.uk/central-aberdeen/adopt-a-cat-page

/quote]

Cheers WTM. I'm actually in Dundee so the Arbroath/Dundee pussy is what I'm after.

Try the SSPCA centre in Petterden on the road out to Forfar - we got our last cat from there.

My mate's an SSPCA inspector and gave us the back story as it was him that had actually dealt with the case. Feral mother cat had had its litter in a skip in Dundee. That kind of genetics meant the cat was always that wee bit mental it has to be said.

Edited by Hillonearth