The Alloa Athletic Thread

Usually pretty solid at the back, he's pretty quick too. Noticed he's been better in the air defensively the last few weeks. Reckon he'd improve a lot if he was training with a full time team.

4 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Later than usual, but this week's episode of the podcast is up - reviewing last week, talking through the squad announcements for wee Kev's testimonial (with a few clues towards the next announcement!) and then looking ahead to tomorrow's game up at Montrose.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Good episode. 

Good listen as always. But the answer to the question did Queen's Park only make the play-offs last season because everyone else was crap....is undoubtedly yes! Alloa were worse than crap for a lot of the season and yet they didn't beat us once and we weren't far off catching them in the end. Indeed, but for a fantastic goal from distance in the last game against them we'd have been within 3 points. They didn't have a manager for a big chunk of the season and their fans frequently pointed out they were a rudderless ship and underachieving badly. The fact that Owen Coyle ultimately got a tune out of them in the play-offs then drastically improved them as a team in the Championship doesn't mean they weren't extremely average for most of last season. The QP of this season just doesn't bear comparison to the team of the vast majority of 2021/22.

On the wider point, I'll always give Alloa every credit where it's due and the current team does deserve praise for being in the mix (and finishing 4th in any circumstances is a good result), but that cannot mean we can't call out issues with the team and the way it is set up. I only ever ask that the Alloa boss makes the most of what they have, or something close, and if we do that and get relegated then fair enough. If it is perceived they don't make the most of the resources available then it shouldn't be a big deal for that to be debated. 

Hopefully the team can manage at least a point tomorrow, really don't want to be going into the last game needing something. I wouldn't be hopeful about the play offs regardless but potentially a big blow for the squad moving forwards if we were to miss out on 4th after being in such a good position. 

Well done Alloa. I don't think many expected a playoff spot for you this term (a lot of your own fans included, I'd imagine). Cracking achievement again. 

For selfish reasons I probably want Falkirk to go up but the banter if they fail again should be a laugh and given our 'relatively poor' record against you I wouldn't be devastated if you went up. It's a big ask but form and all that shite goes out the window etc. in these games. 

All the best! 

A huge well done to the coaching staff and the players in achieving a play off spot . There is certainly larger teams with much larger budgets below us so credit to all. Especially given the near disaster that was last season .

Brian Rice has certainly steadied the ship and four good away wins over march and April certainly most welcome. 

Anything can happen in the playoffs and recall us getting knocked out in them from teams that we had no trouble beating over the  season and teams we had many more points than . Cowdenbeath in 2010 and brechin in 2017 certainly spring to mind. 

We have had difficulty taking points of the top three though and this is an obvious concern. We have hardly landed a blow on any of them over the season. I would actually prefer a crack at the championship team first but as I alluded to earlier anything can happen. 

We have seen the last time we were successful in the playoffs in 2018 we went into them with good momentum on the back of an unbeaten run. This is often the case with the teams in England that are successful and given this, we should be playing to win on Saturday against Dunfermline.

A result against them will be a great boost coupled with our away form we should take confidence in this. 

Well done big Connor again yesterday a great goals haul for the season. Cawley coming into form may also be crucial. A man for the big occasion for sure . 

Edited by Oweny

29 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Murray miller's contract at rangers is up this summer , would be a good one but i doubt it

maybe if his stellar goals were less spectacular ,  🙂

I'd expect someone to offer him a full-time deal and I hope they do. Clearly a talented footballer who will surely improve further and get stronger. Seems to also have a good attitude.

A positive result at the weekend means it's an early in the week episode of the podcast! Sammon's goals, Cawley playing further forward and a Murray Miller masterpiece dominate the chat this week.

We then take a look at the bottom end of the Championship to see who we could face in the playoffs (should we finish 4th) and at one point we do actually remember that we have a final league game this weekend first!

Hopefully Scougall is on the mend, must have been pretty bad to require hospital treatment. He's a big miss for us when he's out the team.

Hoping Taggs, Church and Strachan are all fit for Tuesday, especially since we lose Doyley.

Don't think anyone that played yesterday done enough to merit a place.

That's this weeks episode of the podcast up - quick chat over the guys who came in of the Dunfermline game followed by trying to find some info on Hamilton, and wether 'double 0 Doyle' can be our secret weapon.

Might get an episode out before the 2nd leg dependant on work...and how the 1st leg goes.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

How’s Coulson doing, looks like he’s getting time.

Burst onto the scene and was a real bright spark in the team. So direct, skillful and pacey, which is something we don't have. He did have a dip of form and found himself on the bench for a period but with injuries we are back to him starting and he has taken that opportunity excellently. A stand-out last night against Hamilton. I really like him and he is a real driving force for this team. If he adds consistent numbers to his game next season, you'd have a serious player.

On 10/05/2023 at 08:23, KierenAAFC said:

Burst onto the scene and was a real bright spark in the team. So direct, skillful and pacey, which is something we don't have. He did have a dip of form and found himself on the bench for a period but with injuries we are back to him starting and he has taken that opportunity excellently. A stand-out last night against Hamilton. I really like him and he is a real driving force for this team. If he adds consistent numbers to his game next season, you'd have a serious player.

https://www.raithrovers.net/59085/player-update-2.htm

Didn't Raith release him? Asked on our thread as he looked a threat in the games/highlights I've seen of him but did you only sign him until the end of this season?

Can't find anything on Alloa's website announcing his signing in January.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Rice is one of the most tactically astute young managers in the lower leagues IMO. Hope Alloa stick with him.

Assume this is a p**s take, the man is 59. Up until today I wasn't his biggest fan, especially following Saturday, but we had a good discussion and now 😻

38 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Didn't Raith release him? Asked on our thread as he looked a threat in the games/highlights I've seen of him but did you only sign him until the end of this season?

We did a permanent deal on him , not sure for how long

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

A low-key signing our end but paid off. Will see what the summer brings.