The Alloa Athletic Thread

Posted (edited)

Taggs is no longer such a good RB as he used to be. He has got a little slower and wide players are getting past him a bit more frequently. He remains a fine footballer but would be better as a centre back where his ability to read a game would be even more valuable. IMO, we need fullbacks for both sides.

Edited by tryall

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Are you suggesting that TS may end up here ? doubt that very much , It looks like he enjoyed being here immensely no doubt but he surely has ambition and will get offers , If you mean anything else ..apologies .

Theres surely no chance Taylor Steven comes back next season. I'd expect him to be starting at St Johnstone - at worst at a full time Championship team where he plays every week.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

22 hours ago, printer said:

Hetherington was our best player yesterday. He's still a top player. We missed Miko's defensive aerial ability at times though.

Agree re the defence, although a qualify defensive left back would help the whole defensive unit be better IMO.

Agree also re Cammy. I'd keep Kev and Robbo if they are happy to be squad players.

I'd keep Miko and Sammo too - and also be tempted to let LD go.

I thought Hetherington was at times a wee step off the play in the first half, but second half he was absolutely terrific- arguably the best hes been all season.

Seems bizarre that Alloa had another needless red card in the playoff. The one at Links Park definitely impacted the course of the match.

In games where outcomes are determined by fine margins, this petulance surely needs to be nipped in the bud.

Would obviously liked to have still been in the playoffs but if Hamilton do join Falkirk, then I'm hopeful that next season the league will be more winnable than this one assuming the struggling full-time teams in this league don't get their act together any time soon.

Β 

Β 

Feeling a strange set of emotions this morning. Got that gutted feeling bottom of my stomach as we should be preparing for a play-off final. For a second year in a row, it is something that isn't football dominating the chat.

However, can't feel anything other than pride for majority of the team and the manager for their efforts in those conditions.Β 

When the dust settles will be really excited to see what Andy does with this squad. I am sure recruitment is well underway and hopefully it is a summer where things are sorted out quickly. We obviously will have to wait to replace some incredible loan signings though. Agree that we won't see Steven and Wales, but Sutherland could be a possibility. Hopefully a left-winger if we do!

Taking a day or so before recording the pod but got a couple of episodes coming up this week and some cool stuff lined up over summer! :)Β 

Β 

If Taylor Steven ends up back with us next season, he needs a better agent. If St Johnstone go down, I don't think Steven would look out of place in the championship. If they stay up, he could be a squad player in the prem or loaned to a championship club.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

Seems bizarre that Alloa had another needless red card in the playoff. The one at Links Park definitely impacted the course of the match.

In games where outcomes are determined by fine margins, this petulance surely needs to be nipped in the bud.

Would obviously liked to have still been in the playoffs but if Hamilton do join Falkirk, then I'm hopeful that next season the league will be more winnable than this one assuming the struggling full-time teams in this league don't get their act together any time soon.

Β 

Β 

I think the problem is you don't become a professional footballer without having an ego. You need to pumped full of belief to go out and compete at 100%. Needs to be a measure of control with it too though that not everyone has at all times.

Morgyn Neill messed up. No one will know that better than him and I'm sure it will be discussed with the manager.

I'd rather celebrate the performance on Saturday than dwell on the error and get the pitchforks out.

You always want your team to play in as high a league as possible, but for the manager I think be more proactive to build for what looks like a decent League One campaign next season rather than battening down the hatches in the Championship. Better for his development and progress at the club. I'm not too bothered about not going up for that reason.

Β 

1 minute ago, LoganAAFC said:

Hopefully gets a good run out next season.Β 

Indeed, I think Andy will give him a chance to make an impact. There's gaps in the squad with loanees returning and look forward to seeing him come back full of confidence and try to make his mark.

Morrison
Taggart - McKay - Neill - TBA
Hetherington - Roberts
Soontm - Scougall - TBA
RankinΒ 

Subs: Graham

I'd fancy running a much tighter squad this year. Not sure if we do the whole 9 subs again but that's likely halfway through the signings.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I thought Hetherington was at times a wee step off the play in the first half, but second half he was absolutely terrific- arguably the best hes been all season.

Understandably so given his lack of game time and partnering Kurtis for the first time in ages.

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Feeling a strange set of emotions this morning. Got that gutted feeling bottom of my stomach as we should be preparing for a play-off final. For a second year in a row, it is something that isn't football dominating the chat.

However, can't feel anything other than pride for majority of the team and the manager for their efforts in those conditions.Β 

When the dust settles will be really excited to see what Andy does with this squad. I am sure recruitment is well underway and hopefully it is a summer where things are sorted out quickly. We obviously will have to wait to replace some incredible loan signings though. Agree that we won't see Steven and Wales, but Sutherland could be a possibility. Hopefully a left-winger if we do!

Taking a day or so before recording the pod but got a couple of episodes coming up this week and some cool stuff lined up over summer! :)Β 

Β 

100% Kieren.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'd fancy running a much tighter squad this year. Not sure if we do the whole 9 subs again but that's likely halfway through the signings.

That's a fair point. Building an effective squad always requires that balance between numbers and quality. If we have some good youngsters coming through then maybe Andy can leverage that.

Tricky for the manager to maximise his budget. Andy's an intelligent guy, but that's a new challenge for him.

I think so too- Brian Rices recruitment was a bit haphazard towards the end as he tried to find a solution. Our squad likely too big at the moment and wasnt surprised in January when Andy wasnt fussed about adding to it.

Squad definitely needs trimmed back a bit numbers wise- expect him to utilise the loan market too so that takes a bit of time.

We must be red hot favourites for good loanees to come our way after the improvement of these 3 youngsters with usΒ 

we were very lucky to have 3 excellent loans in the same seasonΒ  , Get the defence sorted outΒ  ( i am sure andy will recruit well )

and we have the making of a team that can go all the way IMOΒ 

Ally roy was a good one when he came in at the time got us on track with some important goals , I dont know if we will see him again though Who knowsΒ  ?

i expect some players to leave as has been mentioned before i think we all have an idea who will be leaving generally

Just notΒ  Sammon andΒ  Big phil please .

Β 

10 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Theres surely no chance Taylor Steven comes back next season. I'd expect him to be starting at St Johnstone - at worst at a full time Championship team where he plays every week.

Taylor will have his pick of clubs. Too good for st Johnstone now they will struggle to keep him. A superb young playerΒ 

10 hours ago, Oweny said:

Taylor will have his pick of clubs. Too good for st Johnstone now they will struggle to keep him. A superb young playerΒ 

Not sure he’s at that stage yet, albeit a special talent. Lots of ifs but if St Johnstone get relegated and replace Levein with a forward thinking manager, reckon that’d be best case scenario for him. Full-time at one of the better Championship sides. Plenty game time and freedom.

Be exciting to watch it unfold for them all.Β 

On 11/05/2024 at 20:09, Rory said:

Think I must be the only Alloa fan that wanted Stirling to stay up so we had the derbies again next season. Stirling and Falkirk were the only teams to bring a good size away support so the club will miss out on some money.

I suppose we'll have Stenny for a local derby next season.

Stirling being in a lower league has ceased being funny at this point. When they flirted with the bottom of League Two a few seasons ago, it was amusing for a while but quickly became depressing.

This opinion will soon change next time they're in a higher division to us!

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Stirling being in a lower league has ceased being funny at this point. When they flirted with the bottom of League Two a few seasons ago, it was amusing for a while but quickly became depressing.

This opinion will soon change next time they're in a higher division to us!

Cheers. A couple of Stenny fans on here are desperate to form some sort of rivalry with us. It just ain’t going to happen πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚