The Alloa Athletic Thread

he showed nothing in first stint, heard Danny wanted to sign him in summer why reject the contract and now come back? Undecided about this one

He didnt get much of an opportunity to show what he could do first time round.

With Geoff Mitchell leaving, Im guessing that he would maybe have a place to rest his head for the night- he wouldnt have had that in summer.

He's only training with the squad anyway- he hasnt been signed.

Genuinely don't remember a single thing Rutherford did last season, but he didn't play much.

If we were changing left-backs, I'd rather give Lewis Wilson more of a shot, even if Daryll was available for loan.

Dougie Hill glassing somecunt in a club isn't exactly risking a fart or holding a dignified silence at memorial service. Whether you (or Dougie) likes it or not, a footballer is a role model for kids and as such they are scrutinised more. Especially at a club like Alloa who do a lot of work with the kids and the community. But carry on trying to pass it off as nothing.

He got hit from behind and turned around with it in his hand and hit them. Bit different from going up to someone and attacking them. Was a stag weekend last year.

So someone hit him from behind and his automatic reaction is to swing glasswear at head height without looking? I'd suggest the man has serious anger issues. Baffling defence you're throwing up here bambino.

People do stupid out of character things in places they are not familiar with under the influence whilst getting attacked from behind. It wasn't meant.

I'm not completely defending Dougie either, it just wasn't what you would describe a proper glass attack where someone has picked up a glass to use as a weapon pre-meditated. It was in his hands, he was wound up by the arguement with the lassie and then he got attacked by who could have been anybody in a city he didn't really know. Over the top protecting yourself I would call it. He should have dropped the jug first before retaliating.

Edited by bambino7

It was definitely meant, considering he swung his hand with a glass in it at someone (or "anybody in a city he didn't know" as you've declared) and caused harm. Whether he instigated the incident or not is irrelevant, he reacted like a thug. You say you're not defending him but you're doing everything to play it down and put blame onto others.

So it's acting like a complete thug protecting yourself when someone attacks you from behind in place you don't really know?

It wasn't the smartest thing to do but I would call a thug someone that picks up a bottle and launches it at someone, not someone that ended up doing it through circumstances.

I'm not defending him. But I am saying it wasn't a proper glass attack on an innocent lassie like was being portrayed.

Edited by bambino7

So it's acting like a complete thug protecting yourself when someone attacks you from behind in place you don't really know?

It wasn't the smartest thing to do but I would call a thug someone that picks up a bottle and launches it at someone, not someone that ended up doing it through circumstances.

I'm not defending him. But I am saying it wasn't a proper glass attack on an innocent lassie like was being portrayed.

We're going round in circles here but yes, glassing someone is thug behaviour and I wouldn't say that immediately swinging a glass in a nightclub is protecting yourself, it's reckless behaviour. Nightclubs have security for a reason but Dougie wanted to deal with it himself.

If it's as you say and he "didn't know who had attacked him" then I'd say the fact he's swung a glass is even worse and demonstrates his short temper. What if he'd caught someone who wasn't even involved? I don't think anyone would deny he was a thug in that situation, so why is it any different that he caught the "right" person?

Whether the lassie is innocent or guilty, or if the glass was in his hand or not, it does not excuse his thuggish actions. I'd also suggest that lassies don't just go up and start smashing random guys (especially big 6ft footballers) on the back of the head in nightclubs, there's clearly been more to it on both sides.

EDIT - And I'll need to remember this "proper attack" defence the next time I stab someone. "Ah come on officer, it wasn't a proper knife attack. I was just buttering my sandwiches and the wife hit me on the back of the head, I just turned round and protected myself by stabbing her in the face".

Edited by The Moonster

We're going round in circles here but yes, glassing someone is thug behaviour and I wouldn't say that immediately swinging a glass in a nightclub is protecting yourself, it's reckless behaviour. Nightclubs have security for a reason but Dougie wanted to deal with it himself.

If it's as you say and he "didn't know who had attacked him" then I'd say the fact he's swung a glass is even worse and demonstrates his short temper. What if he'd caught someone who wasn't even involved? I don't think anyone would deny he was a thug in that situation, so why is it any different that he caught the "right" person?

Whether the lassie is innocent or guilty, or if the glass was in his hand or not, it does not excuse his thuggish actions. I'd also suggest that lassies don't just go up and start smashing random guys (especially big 6ft footballers) on the back of the head in nightclubs, there's clearly been more to it on both sides.

EDIT - And I'll need to remember this "proper attack" defence the next time I stab someone. "Ah come on officer, it wasn't a proper knife attack. I was just buttering my sandwiches and the wife hit me on the back of the head, I just turned round and protected myself by stabbing her in the face".

Fair enough.

To me there's a massive difference of picking up a bottle with the meaning of using it to smash it over someone's head or launching it at someone than there is using it in the heat of the moment because someone was attacking from behind.

I'm not saying it's not the wrong thing to do and he rightfully got punished for it.