Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lord James of Spence just tweeting that the Dixon deal was "almost dead" this morning, but he's at Fortress Tannadice now to sign.

Dougie Imrie rumours, eh. He only signed for Hamilton last summer so there'd likely be a fee. GMS offski?

Paranoia?

Boerrigter - £3milllion

Scepovic - £2.3million

Pukki - £2.4million

Balde - £1.8million

Ambrose - £1.5million

Bangura - £2.2million

When you look at that list you realise firstly just how terrible Celtic's scouts are and also just how ridiculously easy they are to get money out of when it comes to teams not in Scotland.

Exactly.

At what point does "Here is a list of total shite, for each of whom you paid more than you are currently offering. Either f**k off or come back with a real offer" become an acceptable negotiating tactic?

We were offered Spanish goalkeeper Toni Doblas formerly of Napoli and Real Zaragoza and turned him down. I think a bit of competition for Rado would have been beneficial, though I suppose it isn't our main priority.

Aye interesting one. Likely we'll need a new keeper in if/when Rado buggers off in the summer, but perhaps a 34-year old Southern European doesn't fit the bill.

From GMS to Dougie Imrie? :bairn

Who's going to replace Armstrong? Gary MacDonald?

Glass MacDonald Imrie

Boyd

Lord James of Spence just tweeting that the Dixon deal was "almost dead" this morning, but he's at Fortress Tannadice now to sign.

Dougie Imrie rumours, eh. He only signed for Hamilton last summer so there'd likely be a fee. GMS offski?

Imrie just moved onto the coaching staff at Accies, be surprised if he left that

Very pleased at Dixon coming back. So back 4 of

McGowan , Fojut, Morris, Dixon. Dillon filling in for Morris as required???

As has been said more eloquently in the thread, Celtic can pay up, or GTF. They can put in as many phoney bids as they like but we are under mo pressure to sell, and with that back 4, we have a great opportunity to press on in both the league and the cups if we can keep stretch and GMS.

If the suggestion is that Celtic have acted unfairly in trying to sign Scottish players on the cheap then I wouldn't go along with that. They're entitled to bid whatever they think a player is worth. On the other hand if the suggestion is that they're idiots if they rate some of these foreign duds more highly than the likes of Fletcher, Russell and Armstrong then that case is surely unarguable.

United have made it known that they want upwards of £2.5M for Armstrong and don't need the money. Celtic are simply wasting everyone's time if they're not prepared to go to that price. Someone else will pay it in the summer.

I'll agree with you there.

I don't think it's unfair to say though prices for playing in Scotland may differ from England or leagues in europe.

I think Armstrong is a great player, i'd pay the £2.5m for him. We did pay £4.4m for Scott Brown afterall! But we are still a business, if we think we can get him cheaper, then naturally we'll try that.

I'll agree with you there.

I don't think it's unfair to say though prices for playing in Scotland may differ from England or leagues in europe.

I think Armstrong is a great player, i'd pay the £2.5m for him. We did pay £4.4m for Scott Brown afterall! But we are still a business, if we think we can get him cheaper, then naturally we'll try that.

Prices in Scotland shouldn't be treated as distinct from all other leagues. You pay what you have to pay. Some markets will be more expensive but there's no reason why prices should be less in Scotland than in the likes of Sweden, Norway etc. I suspect the problem here is one of perspective and Celtic think they can get away with paying less in Scotland. That might have been the case five years ago but times have clearly changed and Celtic are now out of synch with reality.

Archived