I don't think this matters if you have worked in a pub or not it's just being polite/helpful or not. Some people are considerate and some people aren't and some people are just arseholes. The same people who take an empty glass up to the bar are probably the same sort of folk who hold a door open or help someone with their luggage etc.

Why would you get slagged for common courtesy? I take empties up as well. Never worked in a bar though....

Mostly a case of "FFS Ross, you're not working in here anymore", or "You trying to get your old job back?" type comments.

I regularly take a slagging because I always take my glass up to the bar, or if leaving I will always take mines plus a few empties up as well. It definitely comes from having worked in pubs for the best part of a decade and it's a habit I'm not sure I want to get rid of. Saves the bar staff a few seconds and doesn't cost anything, so why not?

Same for me, also having worked in bars before.

The ones that really get me are those who'll go up for another round once everyone's finished their drinks, yet keep all the cluttering empties on the table.

Usual routine is that they'll then come back and complain that there's no space on the table for the new set of glasses, as if bar staff should be right on their tail to clear up for you.

Same for me, also having worked in bars before.

The ones that really get me are those who'll go up for another round once everyone's finished their drinks, yet keep all the cluttering empties on the table.

Usual routine is that they'll then come back and complain that there's no space on the table for the new set of glasses, as if bar staff should be right on their tail to clear up for you.

How many pint glasses should they be expected to carry up? Likewise if the bar is really crowded, 3 deep etc then it's not practical in the slightest to be juggling loads of glasses for however long it's going to take you to get served. Best thing to do is to pile the glasses appropriately, cutting down the space they're taking up and making it easier for whenever the bar staff come out to collect.

If there's two/three then fair enough.

If a bar doesn't have enough staff to collect the glasses, despite customers doing their bit, they should employ alky glass collectors in exchange for a couple of free unused drinks. Back in my day etc..

If a bar doesn't have enough staff to collect the glasses, despite customers doing their bit, they should employ alky glass collectors in exchange for a couple of free unused drinks. Back in my day etc..

If you got a good one you could send him to the bookies as well.

My fall back option in life.

How many pint glasses should they be expected to carry up? Likewise if the bar is really crowded, 3 deep etc then it's not practical in the slightest to be juggling loads of glasses for however long it's going to take you to get served. Best thing to do is to pile the glasses appropriately, cutting down the space they're taking up and making it easier for whenever the bar staff come out to collect.

Likewise, if the bar is crowded then it's not practical for bar staff to leave all those thirsty customers to collect the glasses from your table.

We'd been in the pub for about an hour before we decided to have a game of pool. The whole time, the same 3 guys had been playing amongst themselves, and I chapped the table to I could have a game against my cousin. When the game finished, both of us got up to go and play and the winner of the previous game just said "winner stays on, mate."

Worse than that is when its your turn on the table you rock up with your mate for a nice quiet game and you get met with.  "play doubles, yeah"?............naw f**k off ya cretin

I was thinking more of a quieter pub with perfectly free access to the bar, so three or four glasses shouldn't be any effort.  If punters are going up for a return trip then there's really no need for staff to leave the bar to make an additional one for a small group.

I agree with your busy bars / clubs point though, although these almost always have glass collectors, hence piling up of glasses there would be a failure on their part.

Going to see Rangers play Inter Milan and we were in our usual haunt of Brechins in Govan, one of the local junkies was gamely trying to sell everyone packs of bacon that he'd stolen from Farmfoods across the road.  Aye mate, i'll take it to the game with me in case I get hungry.

Having said that, pubs should always have someone selling knocked off gear.

If you got a good one you could send him to the bookies as well.

My local has one of each, good guys.

Anyone that has ever drank in a pub should be able to carry up to 8 empty pint glasses to the bar no problem.

Going to see Rangers play Inter Milan and we were in our usual haunt of Brechins in Govan, one of the local junkies was gamely trying to sell everyone packs of bacon that he'd stolen from Farmfoods across the road.  Aye mate, i'll take it to the game with me in case I get hungry.

Having said that, pubs should always have someone selling knocked off gear.

For ages round my way it was Asians selling fake DVD's. Haven't seen one in years right enough.

I kid you not - there was a jakey 'steal to order' in my old local. It was usually Scotland tops etc, mostly shit from Sports Direct.

One time a regular asked for a stihlsaw, the jakey delivered about an hour later. Couldn't move for laughing for about an hour after it.

Only thing I ever bought from him was 20 mach3 razors and 3 Nivea moisturising tubs for £20 all in.