When I worked in Foxes in Inverness and punters did this, I just stared at them with my hand out until they picked it back off the bar and put it in my hand.  One woman who refused got her drink snatched off her my me and I served the next person.

How did that go down? It is pretty rude of them, a fair number of people probably wouldnt be aware they are doing it though.

It seems to be a bit of a continental thing not to hand cash directly to someone.

Possibly just coincidence, but there are two Polish bus drivers who operate my regular bus route, neither of which will take cash by hand and insist that passengers put the coins on the plastic tray on his wee door (not the evil metal things which you drop money into, no change given).  Everyone else (Scottish / English) take the cash in hand.  One of them can be a right d**k about it too.

How did that go down? It is pretty rude of them, a fair number of people probably wouldnt be aware they are doing it though.

She was seething, and I told her she can hand me her money like everyone else does.

As annoying as people plonking their change onto the bar is, doing the exact same back to them and seeing their reaction is one of the simple pleasures of the bar trade. Best practice is to find a wee puddle of warm lager and include coppers for maximum rage.

100% agree with you. The absolute height of ignorance, and not just in a pub. Shops, supermarkets, anywhere. People who put the money on the counter or on the checkout etc are absolute scummers. Hand the money over, it's just manners.

This was a pet hate of mine when I worked with Morrisons in one of their petrol stations. Taxi drivers in particular were terrible for it. My blood boiled every time it happened, especially when the money was just thrown down and you were left to count it. It doesn't take much to hand it to the person serving you with a polite greeting and a thank you.

It seems to be a bit of a continental thing not to hand cash directly to someone. I noticed French and Dutch shops and bars seem to prefer putting cash onto a wee plate before handing it over. I'm sure I've seen it in other places as well.

True, it happens in Spain as well, certainly in the hotel where I've been on holiday in the Costa del Sol. At the bar they give you a saucer with a receipt on it and you put your money on the plate and hand it back.

Had a weekend job as a kid working at Knockhill. On busy days (eg Superbikes) I'd end up on the gate selling entry tickets. Bikers would fish about deep in the depths of their leathers then produce these manky, ball-sweat drenched notes. I wouldn't have considered it impolite if these notes could have been left in a dish but it was so windy there that there was no choice but to handle the aromatic tens and twenties.

Somecunt direct Shandon to the "Knockhill ticket selling at Superbike events etiquette" thread please. 

Fair enough - I was drawn in by the manky money chat and never actually noticed what the thread was about. There was a bar at the circuit if that helps add relevance? 

Fair enough - I was drawn in by the manky money chat and never actually noticed what the thread was about. There was a bar at the circuit if that helps add relevance? 

Did you work in said bar?

No, I was way too young. Did work in a bar in St Andrews for a bit. Big Terry the bouncer slapping lippy students with his shovel sized hands was a sight to behold.

I'd rather drink in the Louden on Old Firm day than drink in a St Andrews student pub. 

This was a pet hate of mine when I worked with Morrisons in one of their petrol stations. Taxi drivers in particular were terrible for it. My blood boiled every time it happened, especially when the money was just thrown down and you were left to count it. It doesn't take much to hand it to the person serving you with a polite greeting and a thank you.

To be fair, taxi drivers are the biggest cuntholes on the planet.  They're also fat, smell of BO, sleazy and all look like potential Ted Bundys.