Sportsound Watch

5 hours ago, spalding said:

I think they're giving Bonner just 90 seconds on any particular subject now

I was disappointed they never got round to asking Bonner his opinions about the effectiveness and viability of the various coronavirus vaccines in the pipeline.

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

More mention earlier of clubs 'putting their case' to the Scottish government regarding getting crowds back, and talk of them needing help.

Why should football be given money over another industry? The popular line now is to claim it's all about mental health, but I'm absolutely not buying that. It's definitely a factor for many people, but I'm absolutely not buying that clubs are all suddenly so massively concerned about it after years of not particularly giving a f**k. I hate this disingenuous talk that brings up mental health issues. It's capitalism, pure capitalism, that is driving the increasingly pathetic mewlings from p***ks like the Aberdeen chairman regarding getting fans back to games.

Every other industry will also be putting their cases to the government at the same time, why should football be the only ones who aren't? Other industries have had handouts too, but football isn't really asking for one, they would prefer to just be able to trade normally, but if a government is preventing you from trading (whether or not the reasons are legitimate), I think it's reasonable to ask for compensation. The UK government has also just chucked a load of money at English football, and the Scottish government will get some of that through the Barnett formula, so again they absolutely should be putting forward the case to be getting some of that.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

More mention earlier of clubs 'putting their case' to the Scottish government regarding getting crowds back, and talk of them needing help.

Why should football be given money over another industry? The popular line now is to claim it's all about mental health, but I'm absolutely not buying that. It's definitely a factor for many people, but I'm absolutely not buying that clubs are all suddenly so massively concerned about it after years of not particularly giving a f**k. I hate this disingenuous talk that brings up mental health issues. It's capitalism, pure capitalism, that is driving the increasingly pathetic mewlings from p***ks like the Aberdeen chairman regarding getting fans back to games.

United's performances wouldn't help anyone's mental health

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every other industry will also be putting their cases to the government at the same time, why should football be the only ones who aren't? Other industries have had handouts too, but football isn't really asking for one, they would prefer to just be able to trade normally, but if a government is preventing you from trading (whether or not the reasons are legitimate), I think it's reasonable to ask for compensation. The UK government has also just chucked a load of money at English football, and the Scottish government will get some of that through the Barnett formula, so again they absolutely should be putting forward the case to be getting some of that.

Some sleight of hand means there is no Barnett consequentials, its all tied up with money already allocated

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Their 'case' is asking for something that can't happen, i.e. fans back, presumably at a high enough level so that they make some money again.

No one is stopping them putting their cases forward, and no one is preventing them being hears, but the pretence that a large part of it is about mental health is disingenuous at best.

There is no additional money. Can't recall the exact explanation, but some bullshittery from the Tories means that it's included in money already allocated.

Compensation can only go so far of every industry is getting it. If Scottish football is to get compensation then it has to be split at least 42 ways. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

They said something along the lines of "We're having a few technical problems but let's go back to Easter Road where Liam has news of something happening".

I have to admit it seemed strange that they missed the start of the half. I'd been away from the radio, came back in and wondered why they were still talking to McInnes.

Because he hadn’t finished.

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Which clubs specifically are asking for financial help from the Government? I know that Aberdeen aren’t one of them.

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Which clubs specifically are asking for financial help from the Government? I know that Aberdeen aren’t one of them.

Dundee United tweeted out demanding Gov money before deleting the tweet 😬

I thought Cormack had said as much as well? Or was he asking for discussions about fans back? 

_____

I see Lennon was shown how to interview like an adult pre match today by Holt. 

5 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Dundee United tweeted out demanding Gov money before deleting the tweet 😬

I thought Cormack had said as much as well? Or was he asking for discussions about fans back? 

_____

I see Lennon was shown how to interview like an adult pre match today by Holt. 

Cormack specifically said on Friday that Aberdeen are not looking for handouts.

I put the radio on when I got in the car earlier and heard Pat Bonner say Celtic were in complete control of the game. I assumed they were winning but a minute later the commentator announced Sparta Prague were winning 2-1.

Celtic might have been on top at that stage but I would say it's a stretch to say they're in control when they're losing.

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I put the radio on when I got in the car earlier and heard Pat Bonner say Celtic were in complete control of the game. I assumed they were winning but a minute later the commentator announced Sparta Prague were winning 2-1.

Celtic might have been on top at that stage but I would say it's a stretch to say they're in control when they're losing.

Bonner's in a parallel universe Archie

Highly recommended listening though at times.