Sportsound Watch

Fucking hell, new depths being plumbed tonight.

'Doug the cabbie' has been called as he apparently sent a text yesterday about a 14 team league. They had him explain 'his' idea, which consisted of him clearly reading something that had been either been prepared for him or he had seen somewhere online and is reading it from there.

Oh and most of the guests have called the Premiership the SPL and no one has said anything

Am I missing something or was there genuinely someone on called Doug the Cabbie? That's almost as good as the time someone was on saying they'd seen Caixinha drinking a coffee.

Just now, Stu said:

Am I missing something or was there genuinely someone on called Doug the Cabbie? That's almost as good as the time someone was on saying they'd seen Caixinha drinking a coffee.

No. That really happened.

2 minutes ago, MSU said:

No. That really happened.

Why? I don't listen to it so would be interested to know what background this guy had that made him a more appropriate guest then any other of Scotland's cabbies.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Why? I don't listen to it so would be interested to know what background this guy had that made him a more appropriate guest then any other of Scotland's cabbies.

He sent in a tweet the previous evening proposing a 3 x 14 team league set-up. Literally, that's it.

He sent in a tweet the previous evening proposing a 3 x 14 team league set-up. Literally, that's it.

3 x 14 doesn’t have 4 OF games so it’s a non starter. 14 playing twice, then a 6-8 or 7-7 split with home and away satisfies the 4 OF games issue.

If sportsound want me to explain that live tomorrow please PM me. I’d be more than happy to oblige.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

3 x 14 doesn’t have 4 OF games so it’s a non starter. 14 playing twice, then a 6-8 or 7-7 split with home and away satisfies the 4 OF games issue.

If sportsound want me to explain that live tomorrow please PM me. I’d be more than happy to oblige.

Yeah, that’s what he meant. By 3 x 14 I meant three divisions of 14 teams. Play each other twice and then split into two groups of 7 and then the groups play each other twice more. 

The panel felt this was a non starter because one team would get a bye each week and that wouldn’t suit smaller teams who rely on weekly income. Never heard of away games, then. 

Either way, this was still pitched to them by a cabbie with a Twitter account. If you’re a cabbie, I’d fully expect a PM. 

Edited by MSU

Yeah, that’s what he meant. By 3 x 14 I meant three divisions of 14 teams. Play each other twice and then split into two groups of 7. The panel felt this was a non starter because one team would get a bye each week and that wouldn’t suit smaller teams who rely on weekly income. Never heard of away games, then. 
Either way, this was still pitched to them by a cabbie with a Twitter account. 

6-8 solves that. Is having more games in the bottom section balanced out by having less games against the bigger teams? Ach who knows. You can pick holes in any set up. Think Israel have a 14 team league with a 6-8 split rather than 7-7.

Incidentally I wouldn’t go for 14 x3. I’d go for 14-10-18, just to be awkward!

9 hours ago, MSU said:

Yeah, that’s what he meant. By 3 x 14 I meant three divisions of 14 teams. Play each other twice and then split into two groups of 7 and then the groups play each other twice more. 

The panel felt this was a non starter because one team would get a bye each week and that wouldn’t suit smaller teams who rely on weekly income. Never heard of away games, then. 

Either way, this was still pitched to them by a cabbie with a Twitter account. If you’re a cabbie, I’d fully expect a PM. 

Aye the weekly income 'point' was raised last night and I too was puzzled by it since no teams plays at home every week

Having some random guy who tweeted the previous night about a league set up that has been discussed many times before was embarrassing but, still not the major issue with the program. I think that can be summed up by:

Host: Kenny Macintyre

Guests: Steven Thompson, Kris Commons, Lee McCulloch and Rab Douglas

On 4/10/2018 at 17:52, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sportsound isn't a shite version of 5 Live

It's shite version of what Sportsound could be

there are reasons to criticise Sportsound, and some not, such as Michael Stewart, Richard Gordon, Willie Miller, Steven Thompson, but good gawd, 5 Live is unlistenable pap in comparison to Sportsound. Yes there's Alan Preston, Bonner, Chico, and Derek Ferguson, but at least our commentators can go 90 minutes without a chageover. What exactly is so demanding that SAlan Green and the other boy have to swap over at half time in every match? You're talking about a fitba game, it's been a one man job since forever, now apparently in guffland it needs a half time sub. Fucking hell, glad I stopped paying for a TV licence, robbing b*****ds 

It's very easy to identify who the Aberdeen fans are on this thread, even if you're on mobile, because they're the only ones who don't think that Willie Miller is an atrocious pundit and a generally slavering mess of a man.
Nah I quite like him as a pundit as well. I think he knows the game well, especially the defensive side to it.

Yes he's a bit snidey at times, and obviously doesn't do much research - but I still think he's good when discussing a game.