Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

How is it we are we losing Richard Gordon before Chick Young? How?

Chick Young was going to retire in 2016 and they even filmed a bunch of short VTs online about it as he toured every Euro Qualifying away game we had, by 2017 he was still there and no-one ever brought it up again. I mean he was on the Seven (yes I watch it okay) the other night.

Richard Gordon would be a huge loss to Sportsound tbf, agree he's one of the best in the business. 

Would like to see Steven Mill fill his boots. Can't see it being Sutherland as he's decent on Sportscene and don't think the BBC would want to move him from there.

Watch them put Kenny McIntyre in the role ffs.

9 hours ago, gannonball said:

I’m not sure how you could dislike Richard Gordon, he pretty much carries buffoons like Willie Miller and Bonner and is impartial as they come really. Was disappointed to hear this and I fear it’s going to be a total shit show now.

I dislike him because I find xenophobic comments telling Eastern European kids to “get out of the country” deplorable. 

Gordon has been an excellent presenter of the main show for a very long time and brings knowledge, genuine enthusiasm, and often a bit of fun to proceedings. He keeps the utter diddies he works with in check and keeps things moving very nicely.

I have absolutely no problem with him being openly partisan towards Aberdeen. He's a football fan and I'm all for presenters and pundits declaring their interest and showing their real enthusiasm when covering fitba. I'm not a fucking child and someone supporting another team doesn't bother me.

He didn't cover himself with glory in the Miko affair, but much of the country had a pretty ugly collective headsgone about that and I'm prepared to forgive.

He'll be a miss.

For those of us of a certain age, Sportsound was never better than with Richard Gordon in the studio and David Begg on comms.  Prior to that it was insufferably stuffy, and now, I fear, it’ll just be incompetent.  

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

For those of us of a certain age, Sportsound was never better than with Richard Gordon in the studio and David Begg on comms.  Prior to that it was insufferably stuffy, and now, I fear, it’ll just be incompetent.  

David Begg and Alistair Alexander was the golden age.

The 'Miko' dive didn't matter, as Scotland still won the game.

I mind Richard Gordon throwing a wee huff years back. It was January 2007, and he said there was a breaking story that was so massive, so huge, that no other story in Scottish football would eclipse it that entire year. He stressed that even though it was only January, this huge breaking story would not be topped.

Said story? Barry Ferguson was removed as Rangers captain. When inevitably loads of texts and emails arrived to say that the reporting of this was rather overblown and to pipe down a bit, Gordon chucked a huff and told listeners that there were other stations they could tune in to.

It was all really bizarre. 

Anyway, would love if he signed off by finally admitting that Rangers died, Rangers were not relegated/demoted and that Sevco are a new team.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It truly is astonishing that Scotland fans and pundits might be annoyed about a player diving to win a penalty that could have ruined our chances of qualifying for a major tournament.

You clearly do not remember the coverage.

It was a different time. Hearts fans sang about Hibs fans being gay, at Hearts away games home fans (of many clubs) often sang that one of our players was 'a fucking refugee' and another homophobic chant about Paul Hartley and Vlad was a Hibs favourite and often heard at other grounds too.

It was that kind of time. The lines were in different places. Sportsound, and RG personally, massively crossed the line into at best xenophobia over Miko-gate. But it was one incident fifteen years ago when things were different and the media was different.

I'm sure that on reflection he'd handle it differently now. Good guy for me.

Edited by VincentGuerin

We have all had our wee bit of partisan fun, maybe time to get back on track about what might happen next?

If BBC Scotland simply parachute someone else from the roster to do the anchor role on a Saturday, I fear they may lose even more listeners. Gordon was actually decent at knitting together the OAM zoomers.

Its been mentioned more than once on this thread that they really need to have a good look at the way the whole show is presented and decide what audience they want.

I have no idea what the listener demographics are, but I would be astonished if it had any more than single figure %ages in the sub 30 age group.

I have mentioned before (as has @VincentGuerin) that, although some of it is crap, many people now routinely consume fan produced media instead - it is often closer to the mark and far more accurate than the BBC for most clubs, primarily because the BBC expend so many resources on two clubs.

The rest of us are now bored hearing Pat Bonners latest slaverings about Celtic in the run up to a match, and I find it quite shabby that he doesnt even do his homework to know the names of the players in todays opposition.

If there was a free to air alternative with individual match commentaries, I suspect the BBC would have almost no listeners.

By cutting out the midweek shows the bbc have already shown that if listener numbers drop they’ll just cut funding instead of producing content that people actually want. 

Like most mainstream coverage of Scottish football it often feels like a bare minimum effort when all people really want is content that is genuinely enthusiastic and informed about the game as a whole. 

See the terrace podcast for example of the fact this does not need to cost millions. 

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It truly is astonishing that Scotland fans and pundits might be annoyed about a player diving to win a penalty that could have ruined our chances of qualifying for a major tournament.

Telling someone to leave the country was a tad more than a huff.