Sportsound Watch

Prepared to be corrected here. I just heard Pat Bonner saying he watched Lawrence Shankland while he was at Ayr, and he went told Ayr manager Dougie Imrie how great Shankland was. Did I miss Dougie's stint managing Ayr?

Turned this on just before 3, knowing fine well there wouldn't be commentary but thinking they might at least have a reporter providing updates from Stair Park while they pore over the Premiership games in the studio. First two minutes I had it on I could barely make out a word anyone said as Robertson, Bonner and English shouted over each other about whether Shankland was good enough for Celtic or not, then wished I couldn't hear anything as Bonner revealed that when Shankland was at Ayr he talked to then Ayr manager Dougie Imrie about him.

I rarely have the misfortune to listen to this, but it's not gotten any better in the next 30 minutes.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Turned this on just before 3, knowing fine well there wouldn't be commentary but thinking they might at least have a reporter providing updates from Stair Park while they pore over the Premiership games in the studio. First two minutes I had it on I could barely make out a word anyone said as Robertson, Bonner and English shouted over each other about whether Shankland was good enough for Celtic or not, then wished I couldn't hear anything as Bonner revealed that when Shankland was at Ayr he talked to then Ayr manager Dougie Imrie about him.

I rarely have the misfortune to listen to this, but it's not gotten any better in the next 30 minutes.

From the 20-odd minutes I had it on you wouldn’t have known there was a game on.

Glad we got to hear from some Celtic fan phoning in to give their pointless opinions, though.

Music garbage aside, I’m enjoying listening to Tom English being served some humble pie from that St Murn fan. He’s such a pompous, squirming weasel of a man. 

Why are they pretending Tom Stoltman is a Ross County fan just because he's from the Highlands?!

He's a massive Rangers fan.

160721_Tom_Stoltman_-_World-s_Strongest_Man_09.thumb.webp.24ce991dcade7ff7af2bdd7f4d01fd3d.webpimage.thumb.jpeg.ecb7d19ae9e5bdfaeb7adadd3324372c.jpegworlds-strongest-man-tom-stoltman-734374534.webp.a54f24fb155dc1a30c09b68ae151c357.webp

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are they pretending Tom Stoltman is a Ross County fan just because he's from the Highlands?!

He certainly is massive.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

160721_Tom_Stoltman_-_World-s_Strongest_Man_09.thumb.webp.24ce991dcade7ff7af2bdd7f4d01fd3d.webpimage.thumb.jpeg.ecb7d19ae9e5bdfaeb7adadd3324372c.jpegworlds-strongest-man-tom-stoltman-734374534.webp.a54f24fb155dc1a30c09b68ae151c357.webp

Fcuk, imagine trying to watch the game from behind him.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The two things aren't mutually exclusive 

Sportsound has had a very bad season, it's fair to say.

The tone of the show is really poor, and the pursuit of controversy is actually damaging for those involved. You can tell that a few of the contributors simply now do not like each other, and I think it's clear that's a direct result of the confrontational nature of the show. I'd honestly hate to work in an environment like that.

Their coverage of the lower leagues is dreadful, and summed up by it not even really being noteworthy that they had nobody at the pyramid play-off and even finished their coverage yesterday before it was completed. That really is shocking.

Sadly, it seems we've basically lost it as a show. It's done. The best way I can sum it up is that I used to listen to Sportsound because I enjoyed it. Now when I listen to it it's because I have to, and for Hearts games I'm not going to, I now just use the vastly superior coverage on Hearts TV.

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Their coverage of the lower leagues is dreadful

If by 'lower leagues' you mean 'every team apart from Rangers and Celtic' then I agree.

If you mean Championship and below, I think dreadful should be replaced with 'non-existent'

2 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

If by 'lower leagues' you mean 'every team apart from Rangers and Celtic' then I agree.

If you mean Championship and below, I think dreadful should be replaced with 'non-existent'

Disagree with this, aside from the choice of commentary games.

I don't think supporters of any top flight side can really claim their team isn't discussed regularly. Your team has been spoken about plenty this season, for example. The Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen gets loads of air time, but I think they cover the Premiership reasonably in terms of how much they discuss the teams, and the cross section of views they have on. The quality of the contributors is a different issue.

But from League One down it's appalling. Genuinely embarrassing.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Something you'll never need to worry about.

Sorry @bennett, but well played.. On a tangent, but I have met Tom Stoltman & his very shouty brother & they are both great guys, delighted that he has so much success in WSM.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

On a tangent, but I have met Tom Stoltman & his very shouty brother & they are both great guys, delighted that he has so much success in WSM.

I used to hang out with his shouty brother's future wife a bit back when we lived in the same town. She's a sound lass.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I used to hang out with his shouty brother's future wife a bit back when we lived in the same town. She's a sound lass.

She worked in the same industry and company as Snorkmaiden, she has always said that she was good people.

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Disagree with this, aside from the choice of commentary games.

I don't think supporters of any top flight side can really claim their team isn't discussed regularly. Your team has been spoken about plenty this season, for example. The Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen gets loads of air time, but I think they cover the Premiership reasonably in terms of how much they discuss the teams, and the cross section of views they have on. The quality of the contributors is a different issue.

But from League One down it's appalling. Genuinely embarrassing.

Perhaps I'm more getting at the likes of today, where we had two big games on, but they chose to ignore them and talk about Celtic (going by a previous post, I didn't listen today). Any time I've listened this season (and not switched it off after a manufactured set-to), they've ignored the biggest games in favour of tittle tattle about those two.