The Arbroath Thread

It’s likely to be frosty again next weekend. I’d really like to see the Lichties get a run out and maybe a cup win. Would the covers help if they went down or are they definitely unusable under present restrictions?

When I was running at the monument this afternoon I seen the covers down on the far side

A decent cup run would be good .

I am sure the club will have a "wish list" of forwards for the January window as 5 goals from 10 league games tells it's own story.

The forwards we have are decent, but something is missing ( goals) and hopefully bringing another striker on loan will give Dick more options upfront.

I suspect Morton, Alloa, Queens, Ayr and others will all be chasing the same potential loan players.

I see Derek McInnes has said that we are recalling Miko Virtanen, what is he like? Any good for Premiership level?

If you’d asked me this at the finish of last season I’d have said yes, absolutely. Unfortunately for whatever reason he hasn’t hit the same heights this season, maybe due to a few niggling injuries. He’s out of contract at the end of the season with Aberdeen so I think the plan all along would’ve been for him to go back in January and see if he’s up to it. Really hope he can get back to his best and kick on. He plays best in a midfield 3 IMO, the main attribute to his game being breaking up play and moving the ball on.

If you’d asked me this at the finish of last season I’d have said yes, absolutely. Unfortunately for whatever reason he hasn’t hit the same heights this season, maybe due to a few niggling injuries. He’s out of contract at the end of the season with Aberdeen so I think the plan all along would’ve been for him to go back in January and see if he’s up to it. Really hope he can get back to his best and kick on. He plays best in a midfield 3 IMO, the main attribute to his game being breaking up play and moving the ball on.
Could say that about almost every player last season.

The fact is the whole team is playing pish.

Could say that about almost every player last season.

The fact is the whole team is playing pish.

Very harsh. O’Brian and Little have been very good, and Gaston has made one mistake. But it’s true that a few including Miko have dropped off from last season.

Very harsh. O’Brian and Little have been very good, and Gaston has made one mistake. But it’s true that a few including Miko have dropped off from last season.

The only real difference from last season is the lack of a finisher like Wighton. The rest have really been pretty decent.
If we go down this season I would hope that this squad would stay largely intact. We’ll always struggle in the Championship but should be competitive in League 1.

The only real difference from last season is the lack of a finisher like Wighton. The rest have really been pretty decent.
If we go down this season I would hope that this squad would stay largely intact. We’ll always struggle in the Championship but should be competitive in League 1.

We need a refresh with some younger players. The average age of the starting 11 v Hearts was 31. The downside of Dick’s contact book and his loyalty is that youngsters seldom get a chance. Even those who come on loan often struggle to get game time. Miko and Wighton are the exceptions.

We’re lacking goals and have an attacking midfielder & prolific striker who have barely had a sniff, they should definitely be given a chance.

A good striker is the hardest thing to find in football & dick has struggled to find a long term solution. Not that he’s prolific but im surprised mckenna hasn’t been given another shot up front after playing very well there in our championship winning season.

Team have been playing well this season ( for most games) - I think we'd be sitting around mid table if we had been scoring goals from the chances created.

Now that Miko is back at Aberdeen, there could be an option of bringing 2 players in on loan.

Once the goal scoring problem is sorted we will start climbing the league table - until then it's going to be a bumpy ride and you had best fasten your seat belts.

We need a refresh with some younger players. The average age of the starting 11 v Hearts was 31. The downside of Dick’s contact book and his loyalty is that youngsters seldom get a chance. Even those who come on loan often struggle to get game time. Miko and Wighton are the exceptions.

Scott Martin, Josh Skelly, Matty Smyth, Jassem Sukar, Jason Brown & Robbie Mutch were all given game time to prove their worth under DC, so that’s not entirely true.

4 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Team have been playing well this season ( for most games) - I think we'd be sitting around mid table if we had been scoring goals from the chances created.

Now that Miko is back at Aberdeen, there could be an option of bringing 2 players in on loan.

Once the goal scoring problem is sorted we will start climbing the league table - until then it's going to be a bumpy ride and you had best fasten your seat belts.

I imagine Arbroath are the first side sitting at the bottom of the league consoling themselves with the fact that it will all be ok once they get a goal scorer in.

25 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Scott Martin, Josh Skelly, Matty Smyth, Jassem Sukar, Jason Brown & Robbie Mutch were all given game time to prove their worth under DC, so that’s not entirely true.

Our use of the loan market  is pretty poor. Only Miko and Scott Martin have made any significant impact.

Recently Campbell and Stirling from Hibs hardly featured, Chalmers even less (if at all) but plays for Dundee Utd in Premier League,  Smith not had much game time. Ruth has scored goals with Aberdeen development and reserve teams but is played out wide in the little time he has had,  despite us struggling badly for goals. 

Not much point bringing in loan players from Premier League clubs unless they are going to improve the team and are given a chance to show it.

Our use of the loan market  is pretty poor. Only Miko and Scott Martin have made any significant impact.
Recently Campbell and Stirling from Hibs hardly featured, Chalmers even less (if at all) but plays for Dundee Utd in Premier League,  Smith not had much game time. Ruth has scored goals with Aberdeen development and reserve teams but is played out wide in the little time he has had,  despite us struggling badly for goals. 
Not much point bringing in loan players from Premier League clubs unless they are going to improve the team and are given a chance to show it.

Erwin, Murray and Wighton were all loans. They all had massive impact and critical influence on recent campaigns. Just saying.
Agree that Ruth hasn’t had the success he might have. He looked really promising out wide and hasn’t worked out as a striker when he’s had the chance. It’s difficult for DIck to give him a start ahead of senior players. Maybe he can start in the upcoming cup game and get on the score sheet.

Erwin, Murray and Wighton were all loans. They all had massive impact and critical influence on recent campaigns. Just saying.
Agree that Ruth hasn’t had the success he might have. He looked really promising out wide and hasn’t worked out as a striker when he’s had the chance. It’s difficult for DIck to give him a start ahead of senior players. Maybe he can start in the upcoming cup game and get on the score sheet.
Murray wasn't a loan, we sold him in January and loaned him back as part of the deal but he was our player initially.