All things Dundee FC

As an outsider looking in I must say Dundee have been very unlucky with the fixtures having had some hard teams to play against recently. All 5 defeats in a row have been against top 6 opposition, surely the real test will come with the next 5 games, then we will see. Hartley's task is to make sure the heads don't drop because if you believe it will turn around you have a better chance of it doing just that than if you just give up. Some Dundee fans look to have thrown the towel in all ready. :rolleyes:

But look....all 4 teams on Saturday shat it, no one wants to break away from the pack, the opportunity is there for someone. Dundee are only 4 points of 6th so its not that bad and St. Johnstone can beat anyone on their day and are very much 4th best team in the league. Dundee get a very good chance next against Partick Th who have Danny Devine in their defence who on both occasions when he played for my team last season in the two games at Dens played a part in allowing Dundee equalisers. Watch the videos and the No.14 for us. The lad just doesn't deal with the high balls into the penalty box very well. Its like watching a puppy chasing a tennis ball. :lol:

Some people are still just looking at the table and the positions rather than the points.

Edited by CityDave

As an outsider looking in I must say Dundee have been very unlucky with the fixtures having had some hard teams to play against recently. All 5 defeats in a row have been against top 6 opposition, surely the real test will come with the next 5 games, then we will see. Hartley's task is to make sure the heads don't drop because if you believe it will turn around you have a better chance of it doing just that than if you just give up. Some Dundee fans look to have thrown the towel in all ready. :rolleyes:

But look....all 4 teams on Saturday shat it, no one wants to break away from the pack, the opportunity is there for someone. Dundee are only 4 points of 6th so its not that bad and St. Johnstone can beat anyone on their day and are very much 4th best team in the league. Dundee get a very good chance next against Partick Th who have Danny Devine in their defence who on both occasions when he played for my team last season in the two games at Dens played a part in allowing Dundee equalisers. Watch the videos and the No.14 for us. The lad just doesn't deal with the high balls into the penalty box very well. Its like watching a puppy chasing a tennis ball. :lol:

Some people are still just looking at the table and the positions rather than the points.

Dave I always feel quite calm after reading your reassuring posts. :)

14 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

I see logic in the Williams signing. He supposedly provided width for ICT last season and looked decent. It just hasn't worked for us. Vincent on the other hand is bizarre. It seems we are doing what Hibs did the season they went down and sign a bunch of defence minded CMs who are all a bit pish. Thinking of Owain Tudur-Jones, Tom Taiwo, Scott Robertson, Kevin Thomson and I'm sure there were a few more as well.

We have Ross, Low, Vincent, McGowan, Hateley all CMs who can't attack seemingly. Our most creative player is O'Hara who was playing CB/RB last season!

Williams was a decent player for us last season one of our few good performers early in the season and tended to be used as a left back replacing the departed Shinnie though his natural position was left midfield, as you say decent (for this level) and he puts in a shift, but he's nothing more than that. Nick Ross for us during Butcher's time had been used as an attacking midfielder, a right winger and a left winger...he can switch positions during a game such as his versatility sometimes with good effect. I hope Hartley hasn't been using him as a central midfielder because he just isn't a central midfielder, we had tried him there. Vincent is at his best sitting in front of the central midfield pressing defenders and keeping the play high up making life difficult for the opposition in their own half, not a goal scorer nor technically gifted, he is though a real grafter.

For these players the manager at the time Butcher for Ross and Vincent, Hughes for Williams managed to get the best out of them getting them to play to their strengths, has Hartley been forcing them to play roles out of the positions I have mentioned in this post?

Edited by CityDave

Correct. Can't be playing daft formations without the players to do so. Regarding Faiss, if he had been signed at the start of last season we would be raving about how good he is. He's a great talent surrounded by utter shite and incompetence.

Nail hit firmly on the head.

I have no idea what Haber is like, he must be pretty good if he once played for St Johnstone, but I can see the logic in a big guy up front with some experience, that Faiss can hopefully feed off. It also allows us to go route 1 which seeing as we have about 10 midfielders, all of whom are utterly shįte, is probably not a bad call.
If he plays Hateley and Williams at wing back again, whilst Kerr and Holt have both got 2 legs, he really will need to walk.

I don't remember Haber ever winning a header for us, fwiw. He was fairly quick before his knee injury though

For a guy of his size he was pretty poor in the air, although if you gave him a run and jump at it, he would win most due to his leap. Standing start he'll not win any from past experience. He'll undoubtably lost some of his pace, which was an asset, but he was utterly clueless at what to do most of the time, so you'd imagine he's improved that area of his game since he played for us. He's not a natural finisher, but he's a nuisance who'll put himself about and cause issues. He can't be any worse than "Yordi" that's for sure.

The problem is six fold :

1. Losing Greg Stewart's wonder left peg goals - last season that was worth a lot of points.
  2. No Kane whacking in loose balls or beating keepers from outside the box.
  3. Having an ex Inverness midfield that is devoid of pace, hell bent on lateral passing, bereft of invention and frankly, crap.  Ross has the ability but no drive and he can't tackle and only wants to go back. The other two are ponderous, timid and largely worse than the past - horrific signings. Only O'Hara gets pass marks in the signing department.
  4. The loss of a slow, but creative Harkins, compared to the introduction of Tweedledum and Tweddledee this year is not helpful either as the last two have shown no invention or guile.
  5. Once again this season more than half the team are newbies, on Saturday: Hateley, Faisal, Duffy, Gomis, Tweedledum and Tweedledee.... No wonder they cant find each other.
  6. The system we are playing of three at the back, with roaming attacking wingbacks doesn't work with a manifestly unfit Hateley and a hopeless Tweedledum. Needs to be 4 4 2, until we get some points on the board.

It had better improve pronto, and I really don't want to hear anymore managerial shite about playing well. I don't care if they play like a team of turnips, we need points or it'll be doon with United.

Some people really need to get a grip.Duffy, Pressley, Jeffries???

fucking hell. 

The negativity from some Dundee fans is embarrassing.

at least give Hartley a chance to sort out the mess before we start making ludicrous suggestions for a replacement.

8 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Well said. Just when you think things can't get any worse, you've got people on here shouting for Duffy to come back. I would give up the football if that clown returns.

I do recall your previously erudite critique of Duffy :lol:

I liked the guy as a player, and even in his first spell as manager before he fucked off and hilariously relegated Hibs, but the second spell was an utter shambles. 

23 minutes ago, mungo said:

Some people really need to get a grip.Duffy, Pressley, Jeffries???

fucking hell. 

The negativity from some Dundee fans is embarrassing.

at least give Hartley a chance to sort out the mess before we start making ludicrous suggestions for a replacement.

Just to clear something up, I feel like I'm responsible for the Jefferies thing. I was making a slight tongue in cheek point about how he literally wouldn't be the worst appointment we could make (I mean, Claude Anelka would be worse) but that definitely doesn't qualify him for the job! I would cry if it happened.

No one has suggested him yet from what I can see.

Dundee are a bigger team than any of the provincial clubs and yet their squad is totally chronic.  Why is that?

Motherwell haven't been tearing up trees this season but out of the entire Dundee squad I'd take Scott Bain and that's about it.

The Haber signing has all the hallmarks of a "f**k I need to be seen to be doing something" signing by Hartley.

I'm sure most Dundee fans will be of the opinion that an Arab's view on things is meaningless but I very much agree with CityDave's post earlier. The fact is that there is so little between most sides in the Premiership that all it takes is a serious upturn (or downturn) in form that it could define a team's season. Last year I genuinely felt that we had a reasonable squad but we were totally bereft of confidence and organisation (then we got desperate and it ended up in a shambles). A few wins and Dundee have a squad more than capable of finishing 6th but at the same time you could easily finish 11th depending on a run of form at the wrong time (I don't for a second think you will finish bottom). 

I think most clubs in Scotland run in quite short success cycles and I wonder if Hartley is coming to the end of his cycle at Dundee. It maybe does need a fresh set of ideas and a new way of looking at the squad. In saying that you could easily win three on the bounce and everything will be looking fine again.