Question Time

Elixir

1 hour ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

What an absolute mess of a programme.

It's entertaining, but there's zero, sensible political chat.

It rewards soundbites by having an audience who are more than willing to clap something punchy when it aligns with 'their side' than something with substance.

Mhairi Black is a moron.

Despite being majority tory they gave no support to the Flights to Rwanda plan, so thats not exactly true, is it?

You may dislike Black and/or her political views, but she is no moron.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Particularly bonkers tonight.

A Scotsman in the Lisburn audience has just gone full "You're in the IRA and support Hamas" at the Sinn Fein MP who had the gall to suggest Israel might have been a bit naughty as well

Are any of "our" P'n'B Yoons willing to admit to being in Lisburn tonight? 

Shouty Sorcha had her usual angry face on, coming across like a spoiled brat.  No wonder Sir Jeff trounced her at the last GE.

There's only so many times you can shout at the DUP for not returning to the assembly without addressing their concerns, before it looks utterly ridiculous.

A functioning Stormont isn't going to solve the cost of living crisis sweetheart.

On 21/10/2023 at 05:04, Johnny Martin said:

Shouty Sorcha had her usual angry face on, coming across like a spoiled brat.  No wonder Sir Jeff trounced her at the last GE.

There's only so many times you can shout at the DUP for not returning to the assembly without addressing their concerns, before it looks utterly ridiculous.

A functioning Stormont isn't going to solve the cost of living crisis sweetheart.

You’re right, she should dress up as a T-Rex and dance around in front of Edwin Poots shouting ‘wooooo, I’m going to eat Jesus’; it’d be far funnier. 

ETA - hiya new sockpuppet, hiya pal! 

Edited by carpetmonster

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Baroness Warsi talks a lot of sense for a Tory. Or is it just that the current incarceration of the party has gone completely batshit?

She does. She resigned from the party mid 2010's tho, and I'm not sure why, or even if she's come back. She was given a life peerage in 2007, so she's got pretty much free reign; is she still a 'Tory' because that was the last party she represented?

ETA - resigned in 2014 - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/10/sayeeda-warsi-attacks-tory-leadership-ethnic-vote

Can't find anything to say if or when she rejoined but I skipped the country in 2013 so likely someone can illuminate better than me

Edited by carpetmonster

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

She does. She resigned from the party mid 2010's tho, and I'm not sure why, or even if she's come back. She was given a life peerage in 2007, so she's got pretty much free reign; is she still a 'Tory' because that was the last party she represented?

ETA - resigned in 2014 - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/10/sayeeda-warsi-attacks-tory-leadership-ethnic-vote

Can't find anything to say if or when she rejoined but I skipped the country in 2013 so likely someone can illuminate better than me

She was just on the Alistair Campbell/Rory Stewart podcast. It was a good listen actually. She still says she's a Tory and she takes the Tory whip in the House of Lords. When asked if she would vote for the current Conservative party at the next election, she responded by saying that because she's in the Lords, she doesn't get a vote and therefore wouldn't answer the hypothetical. Which was quite telling.

I guess there will always be people that you disagree with on a lot of stuff, but are still decent people who are worth listening to. There have been fewer and fewer of them in the Conservative party over the past few years and I can't see that changing any time soon.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Baroness Warsi talks a lot of sense for a Tory. Or is it just that the current interpretation of the party has gone completely batshit?

The current Tory Party is full of people who think they are not doing their job unless they are "goading the left".

It is nicer to hear a Tory who lacks that sense of malice.

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Baroness Warsi talks a lot of sense for a Tory. Or is it just that the current interpretation of the party has gone completely batshit?

Warsi was on the infamous Nick Griffin Question Time where she made an impassioned speech imploring BNP racists to vote Tory. I've found it difficult to have much respect for her after that.

2 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Warsi was on the infamous Nick Griffin Question Time where she made an impassioned speech imploring BNP racists to vote Tory. I've found it difficult to have much respect for her after that.

Aye, her 'Anita Rani of Politics' schtick has positioned her as an acceptable face of Toryism and she never seems short of media invites.  We shouldn't however overlook just how she managed to ascend to the upper echelons of the party in the first place.