Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

Pretty well impossible to get a rape charge to stick if the victim is a prostitute, certainly. This woman wasn't, but she did make the critical mistake of having enjoyed consensual sex on other occasions.

Maybe sex worker would have been better.

So if you enjoy vocal consensual sex, you're fair game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Yoss said:

... and on top of everything else we now have to put up with responses at the level of "oh he's been found innocent, therefore the woman was lying", which is no less depressing for its inevitability.

It's still, at least, within this woman's range of options to sue Evans for civil damages on the lesser burden of proof - as Goodwillie and Robertson's victim is doing. But much as I might wish her to do that - or at least, wish that the system was such that she could do so without putting herself through hell again - it'd be very hard to fault her for not doing so.

he can pay her out of the money he could surely sue the crown prosecution for given his career was tarnished beyond repair by a false conviction and imprisonment, wonder how much he has lost in wages over the years due to this

36 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Although I believe the original conviction was a shambles. Some of the comments on twitter the now are unbelievable. Plenty calling for the girl to be jailed for lying. I'm assuming they haven't followed the case closely enough to know, that she never once actually accused Evans of any crime.

The ones that make me laugh are those calling for Jessica Ennis to make a public apology...I mean she's really the bad one in all this.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Justice for Chedwyn! Utterly shocking he was ever convicted in the first place. Although his team were very confident he was going to be found innocent. I followed the case quite closely the first time round and still don't see how he could have possibly been convicted. The man's lost the best few years of his career and several million pounds. Hopefully he can push on and rebuild his career.

This.

Is Ched Evans a reprehensible human being with an inflated ego and an ill deserved sense of entitlement? Almost certainly yes, or at least he was at the time. But I followed the original case quite closely and I couldn't see a lot of evidence for a conviction and absolutely no basis for the idea that he committed rape whilst McDonald didn't. The horrible public campaign that followed his original attempts to re-sign for a football club was pretty vile and ended up with me having a lot of sympathy for Evans even though his actions were still pretty horrible.

I haven't followed the retrial very closely at all this time but unless there was some new evidence this time the verdict isn't remotely unexpected. If Ched Evans was guilty of rape then so are hundreds of people around the country every weekend.

Someone more legally astute than me may be able to answer this; he's had his reputation smashed and lost an absolute fortune in earnings. Can this be recouped? Or is it just a case of "get on with it"? Legal system fails here imo.

I'm not in any way legally astute but on a moral level the destruction of his reputation and his lack of earnings seems a bit like justice to me.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If Ched Evans was guilty of rape then so are hundreds of people around the country every weekend.

I doubt hundreds of people would sneak into their friend's bed while they're having sex with somebody they didn't know, hoping for sloppy seconds. But I agree that I couldn't see what evidence made the first jury find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

58 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This.

Is Ched Evans a reprehensible human being with an inflated ego and an ill deserved sense of entitlement? Almost certainly yes, or at least he was at the time. But I followed the original case quite closely and I couldn't see a lot of evidence for a conviction and absolutely no basis for the idea that he committed rape whilst McDonald didn't. The horrible public campaign that followed his original attempts to re-sign for a football club was pretty vile and ended up with me having a lot of sympathy for Evans even though his actions were still pretty horrible.

I haven't followed the retrial very closely at all this time but unless there was some new evidence this time the verdict isn't remotely unexpected. If Ched Evans was guilty of rape then so are hundreds of people around the country every weekend.

I thought McDonald was a bit fortunate not to be found guilty first time round too, but the two cases were not the same - there was no contradiction in one being found guilty and not the other.

And yes, lots of people are guilty of rape every week, of which a tiny number are reported and a much tinier number prosecuted. Which is not to say that Evans's behaviour should be mistaken for any kind of typical laddishness, any more than we can let Trump away with claiming his sexual assault boasts are locker room talk.

I'm not especially surprised by the verdict here; given the difficulty in getting convictions in rape cases it's probably the first jury's verdict that was the bigger surprise. What's particularly appalling in this case - both in respect of the handling of this case taken individually, and for the general legal culture surrounding rape trials and what it says to any woman thinking of reporting anything - is the way the CCRC allowed her sexual history to be dragged up in the retrial, on the utterly spurious grounds that - several years after the event and only after having consulted and compared stories with Evans's legal team - people reported phrases her having used phrases which sounded a bit similar.

The way the victim's past (and future) sexual conduct was weaponised against her as well was absolutely vile. The original case set a good precedent and made it clear that women could come forward and maybe be taken seriously but this is going to set back the issue another decade at least. Why would anyone come forward, particularly against the rich and famous, when they can expect not to be taken seriously and be forced to flee their home?

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not in any way legally astute but on a moral level the destruction of his reputation and his lack of earnings seems a bit like justice to me.

Justice for who? 

Evans is still a complete fucking creep who admits he cheats on his bird every time he gets the chance, and admits he wanted to watch his mate pump someone, through a window, as a laugh.

2 hours ago, KingQuerrey said:

Imagine actually celebrating the outcome of a rape case that doesn't have anything to do with you.

Minter.

Can't say I've seen anyone celebrating, but even if they were, what's the problem with celebrating a victory for common sense?

I never knew Paige Doherty or John Leatham but I'm pretty happy the c**t got banged up for at least 27 years.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Evans is still a complete fucking creep who admits he cheats on his bird every time he gets the chance, and admits he wanted to watch his mate pump someone, through a window, as a laugh.

Who gives a f**k? It's not against the law to be sleazy or a creep.

28 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I thought McDonald was a bit fortunate not to be found guilty first time round too, but the two cases were not the same - there was no contradiction in one being found guilty and not the other.

There is plenty of contradiction in the notion that she was too intoxicated to consent to one but not the other.

Can't say I'm surprised, really. The original case was a bit of an odd one in that Evans was guilty and McDonald wasn't. If we were accepting the victim was too drunk to consent to Evans, it's difficult to see how she could've consented to McDonald. I'd suggest both these men have had a very lucky escape. 

The press reports concerning the line of questioning are disturbing. What relevance do previous (consensual) sexual encounters have to what happened in that hotel room? 

Archived