Hitting 40

sjc

Make the most of it because when you get to 65 and realise that you have probably only got 20 years left, it is absolutely amazing how time flies.

^^^ glass half full kinda guy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like 30 much because of the realisation that I couldn't become a top footballer as I'd be 'past it' before I even started. For the first time I thought "I'm too old for something / a chance has past". That and my work thought it would be a nice day to send me an 'at risk of redundancy' email.

Looking forward to 55 on the condition Scotrail keep their cheap 'anywhere for £19' Club 55 deals though. If not then 55 can gtf.

I had the best year of my life circling the globe on ~6k, which included flights. What the f**k were you spending the cash on? Or were you away for years?

sad thing is, i have no idea what the money went on. just stupid stuff. couple hundred for melbourne grand prix another few hundred to see something at the opera house just so i could say i'd been.this went on for a number of months. big pimpin', spending g's.

still have a digeredoo somewhere.

when i was 30 i quit my job, sold my house and b*ggered off travelling on the profits. Only lesson I learned was that £30k doesn't last very long :(

I did the same when I was 40. Except that I found out that you can have a great time for a decade for £125,000 if you keep an eye on the pennies.

I'll be 40 in December. I wouldn't say it's the worst birthday. That was the first, the day I was fucking born was the worst day of my life and it hasn't improved much since.

I feel pretty the same as I did when I was in my late teens. My lifestyle hasn't changed and I don't feel mature though I am a lot more jaded, cynical and pessimistic than I was back then. I also feel a tinge of regret that I didn't rattle as many burds as I could have before I lost my barnet and developed a (admittedly pretty impressive) beerbelly. It first hit home a couple of years ago when I was drinking in a pub near Dundee University. The place was full of students and I realised that I'm old enough to be their father and that I've got pretty much nothing in common with them.

I'm another 16 years away from being 40, my 24th is this year.

Probably the first time in a while I'm enjoying life since my 21st to be honest.

I'm another 16 years away from being 40, my 24th is this year.

Probably the first time in a while I'm enjoying life since my 21st to be honest.

Make the most of your 20s and as Danny above posted. Rattle as many birds as you can because when you get older it's not as easy.

Anyone else have trouble remembering their age? Gets worse every year, mainly 'cause it's not something that comes up in conversation very often. When It does, I'm usually like, "34. No, wait, I'm 35 now. 37? f**k it, what year was I born again?"

Anyway, I don't expect 40 to be a particular scunner, as I've made such a pitiful c**t of life up to this point that I'd need to be on the streets drinking out of puddles to feel more of a middle-aged failure than I do already. May you all set such lofty standards for yourselves :P

30 was worse than 40. Hardly noticed 40.

I'm 47 and getting old is far better than the alternative.

This. I found 30 way more traumatic than 40 - possibly the not being in my 20s anymore. 40 just kinda snuck up on me and I didn't want any fuss anyway so it was all good.

I'm also 47 and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the next milestone...

This. I found 30 way more traumatic than 40 - possibly the not being in my 20s anymore. 40 just kinda snuck up on me and I didn't want any fuss anyway so it was all good.

I'm also 47 and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the next milestone...

What? 100 pairs of trainers?

Make the most of your 20s and as Danny above posted. Rattle as many birds as you can because when you get older it's not as easy.

Aye, and you never stop fancying 20-29 year olds more than the wrinklies who are still up for it. Evolutionary imprinted preferences are a bitch.

As a senior member on here, I must say you lot have nothing to worry about. The best year of my life was when I was 52. I was fit, healthy, and had a fantastic midlife crisis. Be positive, and don't get stuck in a rut cos that is what sucks the life out of you.. I met an old aquaintance yesterday I hadn't met for twenty odd years and was staggered to find that she was an old woman, physically and in her attitudes. Think young, stay young and say yes to every opportunity that comes your way. I'm still up for anything in my autumnal years...

Archived