St Johnstone in Europe 2015/16

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realised aberdeen and St Johnstone were playing last night.

f**k me that's a horrendous result, possibly even worse than going out to Mypa.

There's absolutely no question that St Johnstone's elimination to Alaskhert of Armenia is worse that Dundee Utd's exist to MyPa of Finland, none at all IMO.

No Scottish club had ever been eliminated at the hands of teams from the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar until last night so it sets a new low. There are no mitigations (e.g. St Johnstone weren't a cup runnerup relegated to SFL1 nor Fair Play entrants - Alaskhert haven't had an injection of quality players nor are they halfway through the season). It surpasses defeat to the likes of Icelandic, ex-Yugoslav and Eire opposition who are a cut above true diddyness. It's our worst defeat to a minnow ever.

What it doesn't necessarily surpass, IMO, is the separate category of "utter hidings from middling to half-decent opponents".

e.g. Hibs-Malmo, Celtic-Artmedia, Aberdeen-Sigma.

It's sad.

Everybody should just be thankful that Hearts are back in business. Need to stop absolute diddies like St Johnstone from qualifying and embarrassing Scotland.

Oh yeah Hearts are totally the White Knights of Scottish football. Remind me again why are Hearts returning to the Premiership?

It wouldn't be because they financially cheated Scottish football for about a decade? Winning trophies, high league finishes and stealing players from other clubs who they couldn't afford to pay. No better than that blue mob.

Aye St Johnstone are the embarrassment.

Who gives a f**k? Armenia was quality last week and I don't need to spend a grand going to Kazakhstan now!

Indeed. I'm not going to lie, I'm not disappointed we've gone out, but more the manner. I'll be honest and say the draw for this round and indeed the next dampened my usual European excitement no end. Chances are we'd have got thumped off the Kazakhs anyway since they're bankrolled and we'd have about 2 fit midfielders and defenders. At least this way we can recompose ourselves and start recovering properly for the new season. Give players more rest, etc.

So yeah annoyed at the way we went out, not massively annoyed we are out.

and you are the first to moan at the club not signing players !!!

:lol:

You're either confusing me with someone else or just made that up.

5000 fans at £26 is a larger income than 7500 at £10. Its just smart business.

Maybe so. But I on the other hand am not an absolute shitebag, and would sooner see more fans through the gates for more affordable prices.

Who gives a f**k? Armenia was quality last week and I don't need to spend a grand going to Kazakhstan now!

I'm sure that quite a few people will give a f**k, to be fair. What's the point of being a competitive football team if you don't care about being competitive? We let ourselves down last night.

Regardless, you wouldn't have 'needed' to go to Kazakhstan.

Yeah, it's actually a good thing you got humiliated.

Made it quicker - we'd have faced the same hysterical reaction in a couple of weeks anyway when the Kazakhs would've given us an utter hiding.

I think that to refer to Alashkert as a minnow is a little bit disrespectful. Outwith Celtic and the 'old' Rangers, it could be argued that we are all minnows too. Yes, there are the odd exception, i.e. St. Johnstone beating Rosenborg, but that is all too rare. Aberdeen huffed and puffed and St. Johnstone are out. In the past, Falkirk lost to Vaduz, Motherwell lost to Stjarnan, Aberdeen lost to an Irish side approx 10-12 years ago. The list is endless.

We argue that we should switch to summer footy as it would allow our teams a better chance of getting to the group stages of the Eurpa League and such like. Here's some food for thought though. Would a summer switch improve things any? Perhaps we just need to accept that our teams and/or players are simply not good enough to compete. That's what I think. I just accept it and enjoy our domestic game for what it is, and I think we all should. Yes, it might not be great, but it's still ours to enjoy amongst ourselves after all.

No Scottish club had ever been eliminated at the hands of teams from the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar until last night so it sets a new low.

I'll see your St Johnstone v Alashkert and raise you one Gretna v Derry (3-7 agg) in 06/07. Reckon that remains the worst ever.

But agree totally, that's a proper bit of barrel-scraping by the Perth Saints last night.

There's absolutely no question that St Johnstone's elimination to Alaskhert of Armenia is worse that Dundee Utd's exist to MyPa of Finland, none at all IMO.

No Scottish club had ever been eliminated at the hands of teams from the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar until last night so it sets a new low. There are no mitigations (e.g. St Johnstone weren't a cup runnerup relegated to SFL1 nor Fair Play entrants - Alaskhert haven't had an injection of quality players nor are they halfway through the season). It surpasses defeat to the likes of Icelandic, ex-Yugoslav and Eire opposition who are a cut above true diddyness. It's our worst defeat to a minnow ever.

What it doesn't necessarily surpass, IMO, is the separate category of "utter hidings from middling to half-decent opponents".

It's sad.

Scots calling other countries' club teams diddies. :lol:

No Scottish club had ever been eliminated at the hands of teams from the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar until last night so it sets a new low.

Does Armenia really merit being ranked in amongst these micro-states?

Former Soviet nation of 3 million people. I once saw Ararat Yerevan play Katowice of Poland (when inter-railing in 1995) and the Armenians won that tie.

The true minnows are Gibraltar, Andorra and San Marino.

It's a sore one, but we've probably had worse.....

It's sad.

You're sad.

I think that to refer to Alashkert as a minnow is a little bit disrespectful. Outwith Celtic and the 'old' Rangers, it could be argued that we are all minnows too. Yes, there are the odd exception, i.e. St. Johnstone beating Rosenborg, but that is all too rare. Aberdeen huffed and puffed and St. Johnstone are out. In the past, Falkirk lost to Vaduz, Motherwell lost to Stjarnan, Aberdeen lost to an Irish side approx 10-12 years ago. The list is endless.

We argue that we should switch to summer footy as it would allow our teams a better chance of getting to the group stages of the Eurpa League and such like. Here's some food for thought though. Would a summer switch improve things any? Perhaps we just need to accept that our teams and/or players are simply not good enough to compete. That's what I think. I just accept it and enjoy our domestic game for what it is, and I think we all should. Yes, it might not be great, but it's still ours to enjoy amongst ourselves after all.

Stupendous post.

Did any of the 'embarassing humilation' brigade actually watch the match?

We are a better team than them and with a full squad available we probably would've won the match comfortably. They weren't some juniors equivalent that you all seem to think they were though. They were technically superior to us in terms of their touch and they were much faster than us (which maybe says a lot about Tommy Wright's St Johnstone as it does about the opposition). Frankly, they probably would compete reasonably well in our top flight as they were as good as some of the teams I saw last season.

I'm not hiding from the fact that this was a dreadful result and I'm not offering any justifications/excuses for why we're out now. We should've won the tie and I expect we would've done 9/10, but we didn't.

I'll see your St Johnstone v Alashkert and raise you one Gretna v Derry (3-7 agg) in 06/07. Reckon that remains the worst ever.

I'd disagree, although it's up in that ballpark.

Gretna, our cup runners-up, had just been promoted from our tier 3 - admittedly with their financially doped squad. They had to play out of Fir Park.

LofI is far better than Armenia. Derry had some Euro experience and were midway through a season where they'd win Eire Cup and lose LofI on GD.

Does Armenia really merit being ranked in amongst these micro-states?

Former Soviet nation of 3 million people. I once saw Ararat Yerevan play Katowice of Poland (when inter-railing in 1995) and the Armenians won that tie.

The true minnows are Gibraltar, Andorra and San Marino.

It's a sore one, but we've probably had worse.....

I said nothing about microstates. I'm talking the countries in the lowest rung of quality. Armenian football is demonstrably pretty dreadful. Their league is ranked only above those 3 microstates. Last season their champions even lost to Andorra's champions in CL.

We haven't had worse - no-one has lost to quite such lowly opposition in such circumstances. As I say, comparing with gubbings is a potentially different matter, however.

I would have placed their level somewhere about mid-table Championship. They were reasonably good technically at passing and moving, though weren't all that great going forward once they got there. They defended well in numbers (triple teaming O'Halloran for a start), and had the typical Eastern European hacking b*****d attribute that continental referees for some reason can't get to grips with.

If we had to play the first leg of a two-legged tie against, say, Falkirk, away from home without three of our four preferred starting defenders, be without our best central midfielder entirely and only have our other key central midfielder on the park for about half an hour, I'd be surprised if we got a result.

If we then played the home leg with only one recognised starting midfielder available, with our reserve left back at central midfielder and with a striker at left midfield, and lost our two main centre halves to injury, and had a substitutes bench on which there was ONE first team appearance between six of those sitting on it - and the other being our break glass in case of emergency, relatively young, utility player - I wouldn't be surprised if we struggled.

Don't get me wrong -it is a shocker of a result over two legs, and we should have been winning it. But I can see where the issue has come from. I don't think anyone would reasonable deny if we'd been able to field Anderson, Wright, Millar, Davidson, Wotherspoon and Lappin for the full 180 minutes we'd have won, and probably without too much difficulty.

LofI is far better than Armenia. Derry had some Euro experience and were midway through a season where they'd win Eire Cup and lose LofI on GD.

FC Pyunik knocked Derry City out of the Champions League in 2007 which proves beyond doubt that Armenian club football is far superior to Irish.

Archived