When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No countries have been forced to join. Sweden meets all the convergence criteria apart from ceding authority to the European Central Bank, which they have refused to do. There have been zero repercussions. They "commited" to join the euro when they entered the EU 23 years ago.

True but that's mainly due to the Eurozone crisis, especially in Greece. There could be another crisis soon, especially as Italy has major financial problems. 

The EU is now considering its future options, including further integration or reverting to being just a Single Market. Frankly, we don't what the EU will be like after Brexit or when Scotland decides to re-join. 

14 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

As this is Pie and Bovril I am going to put this in Fitbaw terms:-    If you are struggling to manage a pub side you shouldn't be putting yourself forward for a Premier League managers job.

Education ?  Fecked

Public transport ?  Fecked

Health service ?  Fecked

Local authority services ? Fecked

Police ?   Fecked

Business growth ? Fecked

Life expectancy ?  Fecked

There is so much that the Scottish Government should be doing but instead they do very little, let  the country decline and blame the UK government for everything.  It's the "a big boy done it and ran away" excuse.  Time the SNP grew a pair and showed they are leaders and not moaning minnies.

foam.gif

Just now, Mr Heliums said:

Not sure 'keeping the pound' will have quite the same appeal this time around. As long as we hear something sensible. A Scottish Pound pegged to the UK pound would do me. (I've personally no problem with the Euro).

My preference is for a free floating Scottish currency. We need flexible interest rates and exchange rates.

Why would you want an independent Scotland's interest rates to be set by the European Central Bank in Frankfurt?

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

My preference is for a free floating Scottish currency. We need flexible interest rates and exchange rates.

Why would you want an independent Scotland's interest rates to be set by the European Central Bank in Frankfurt?

I didn't meant to imply that I'm rabid about the Euro. But I can see some merits in it. Early on, I'd want stability – and it's hard to believe but that's something the Euro is doing a bit better than the pound at the moment. But I'm open to arguments. What's crucial is that there is a plan.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

True but that's mainly due to the Eurozone crisis, especially in Greece. There could be another crisis soon, especially as Italy has major financial problems. 

The EU is now considering its future options, including further integration or reverting to being just a Single Market. Frankly, we don't what the EU will be like after Brexit or when Scotland decides to re-join. 

It's got nothing to do with Greece, there is no mechanism to force new entrants to join the Euro. There is no queue, you just make stuff up. Of course the EU could change, hopefully with Scotland helping to guide it.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's got nothing to do with Greece, there is no mechanism to force new entrants to join the Euro. There is no queue, you just make stuff up. Of course the EU could change, hopefully with Scotland helping to guide it.

What are you on about?

Do you honestly think that the Eurozone crisis had no impact on possible applicants and their ability to meet the convergence criteria?

During the crisis, the economies of the Baltic countries shrank by around 20% or more. Hardly an incentive to join!

11 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

As this is Pie and Bovril I am going to put this in Fitbaw terms:-    If you are struggling to manage a pub side you shouldn't be putting yourself forward for a Premier League managers job.

Education ?  Fecked

Health service ?  Fecked

Police ?   Fecked

Business growth ? Fecked

There is so much that the Scottish Government should be doing but instead they do very little, let  the country decline and blame the UK government for everything.  It's the "a big boy done it and ran away" excuse.  Time the SNP grew a pair and showed they are leaders and not moaning minnies.

Too simplistic bud. Some things the SNP can be blamed for, but on the whole they ain't doing a bad job with what they have.

Taking account of the Barnett formula, Scotlands allocation for public expenditure is directly linked to the rUK. ie Westminster decides what Holyrood gets.

I would strongly argue that in the context of the wider UK, Scotlands public services are anything but "fecked." This is down to superior management with an increasingly tightening budget.

Its nothing to be proud of btw. To continue the fitba analogy, in a wider European context we are at present group no hopers in the Europa league.

The fact is our public services will be increasingly "fecked" if we do nothing to get away from the ever tightening budget restrictions imposed by a clueless Wesminter mob.  The only way to improve our services this is to promote growth. 

Growing the Scottish economy to its full potential will only ever happen when we are aware of every revenue stream Scotland generates and then target that revenue at the right sectors.

Only then will we get the revenue that will allow the Champions league public services we want. :thumsup2

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

What are you on about?

Do you honestly think that the Eurozone crisis had no impact on possible applicants and their ability to meet the convergence criteria?

During the crisis, the economies of the Baltic countries shrank by around 20% or more. Hardly an incentive to join!

Countries can choose whether or not to attempt to meet all the convergence criteria. Scotland would have the same choice. Greece has nothing to do with it, other than possibly making some countries less keen on joining the Euro, and the EU can do nothing to make them.

23 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Agreed. aka Sweden. An independent currency whilst enjoying the benefit of full EU membership.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Countries can choose whether or not to attempt to meet all the convergence criteria. Scotland would have the same choice. Greece has nothing to do with it, other than possibly making some countries less keen on joining the Euro, and the EU can do nothing to make them.

I've never said that the EU can currently force countries to join the Euro. I've just pointed out that the Treaties require new Members to agree to adopt the Euro. 

At some point, there could be financial penalties on countries that fail to make sufficient progress to meeting the convergence criteria. The EU loves fining Members for failing to meet its targets and it will need more funds to balance its budget after Brexit.

57 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Education ?  Fecked

Health service ?  Fecked

Police ?   Fecked

Business growth ? Fecked

Are any of these things particularly more fecked in Scotland than they are in the rest of the UK?

The biggest of them, the NHS, is in a far better state in Scotland. Is that just dumb luck?

1 minute ago, s_dog said:

Are any of these things particularly more fecked in Scotland than they are in the rest of the UK?

The biggest of them, the NHS, is in a far better state in Scotland. Is that just dumb luck?

Hardly a far better state.....There's  plain shit and there's sticky shit . I guess our NHS is just the plain variety.

SNP have had 10 years to show themselves capable of successfully running a nation and have failed pathetically and are , frankly, an embarrassment to Scotland.

I still can't believe Sturgeon blinked first....She's fucked it ! 

12 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Hardly a far better state.....There's  plain shit and there's sticky shit . I guess our NHS is just the plain variety.

SNP have had 10 years to show themselves capable of successfully running a nation and have failed pathetically and are , frankly, an embarrassment to Scotland.

I still can't believe Sturgeon blinked first....She's fucked it ! 

giphy.gif