When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I often read Unionists saying that resentment towards the institutions of the UK is a "code" or "veneer" for anti-Englishness. Examples of actual anti-Englishness are obviously pretty thin on the ground.

It's also pretty telling that they think any negativity towards Britain must be about England. The words are interchangeable apparently, Britain = England. Makes you proud.

24 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

And anyone who believes anti English sentiment is not ingrained in cyber nats like you is also a fud, a deluded in denial fud at that. You cloak it in anti Britishness of course, which gives your hate a bogus non racial veneer. The indy at all costs and ruination of Scotland being the ultimate aim.

Interesting - if dissolving membership of a political union makes one automatically prejudiced against the other nations in that union, then it’s telling that you only recognise England as being Britain (what of Wales? Is that England? Is Northern Ireland England?). Further, it’s strange that you want Scotland to join Britain/England (as you think they’re the same thing) in being anti-European and prejudiced against foreigners. Why is that ok? The independence at all costs and ruination of the UK via Brexit seems to be something you’re happy for Scotland to be part of.

11 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I often read Unionists saying that resentment towards the institutions of the UK is a "code" or "veneer" for anti-Englishness. Examples of actual anti-Englishness are obviously pretty thin on the ground.

It's also pretty telling that they think any negativity towards Britain must be about England. The words are interchangeable apparently, Britain = England. Makes you proud.

You can’t expect genuinely thick British nationalists not to accept and embrace the simplest possible excuse for something they can’t understand.

I suppose it also makes it easier for them to justify their hatred of the idea of their own country’s potential statehood if they pretend those who endorse it are the bad guys.

When they’re supporting a xenophobic, racist, anti-European state, though, the argument falls flat. 

Edited by Antlion

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

You can’t expect genuinely thick British nationalists not to accept and embrace the simplest possible excuse for something they can’t understand.

I suppose it also makes it easier for them t justify their hatred of the idea of their own country’s potential statehood if they pretend those who endorse are the bad guys.

When they’re supporting a xenophobic, racist, anti-European state, though, the argument falls flat. 

The Brexit/Northern Ireland situation is useful for providing data to back up what most us already knew. That most of England doesn't actually give a shit about the rest of the UK.

Bit of an awkward one for non-English British nationalists. 

2 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

The Brexit/Northern Ireland situation is useful for providing data to back up what most us already knew. That most of England doesn't actually give a shit about the rest of the UK.

Bit of an awkward one for non-English British nationalists. 

Aye - contrary to the wet dreams of the Scottish and Irish Little Britons, the English don’t appear to really notice or care about them. Quite understandably, a majority of English voters see England as their country and see themselves as English. Their desire to see Brexit through, for example, trumps the UK’s continued existence. No matter how much the Scottish British nationalists desperately seek recognition and love from our southern neighbours, the fact is that “the uuuunniooonnn” is of little consequence to them. A prime example is Ross Thomson - cravenly desperate to be accepted by his Tory masters but of utterly no interest to them. 

The English are not the enemy, nor are they to blame for the embarrassing desperation of UK nationalists north of the border. 

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Can I suggest we just ignore the 2 puddle drinkers?

^^^^ This.  

I am happy to discuss issues with posters who I disagree with but who are serious.  Why folk respond to such shit trolling is beyond me.

57 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Agreed.

Even H_B and Libby are preferable to this pair of McSpreader lites.

HB in his new guise is a bigger troll than either of them. 

He doesn’t believe the shit he posts and if he doesn’t get a reaction he just gets more bizarre/extreme.  Sadly people bite too readily at his substandard bait.  They should be embarrassed.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Naah....

Reynard was the best on the politics threads - even although I never agreed with a single word he said.

Where is he now?

Is this the boy who was active on Twitter threatening to take to the streets with guns against Scottish independence and later in favour of UK independence?

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Is this the boy who was active on Twitter threatening to take to the streets with guns against Scottish independence and later in favour of UK independence?

Don't know..... But that certainly sounds like him!

21 hours ago, Jambo99 said:

We have the UK.

The UK is a pragmatic solution that has lasted over 300 years, and pretty much solved the inter-national conflict within the UK.

Yes, obviously not perfect. But - it works. 

The 'union' of Alba did much to solve clan feuds too. Unfortunately, the Union also meant that we were now at war with nations that had hitherto been our allies. Just because England was at war with them.

Unless you're suggesting that independence would mean more invasions from England a la King Edward and maybe a Jacobite rising on our side?

Anyway, I'd rather look forward. 100k on the streets today says similar. We're only going in one direction - we want to rejoin the world.

3 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

The 'union' of Alba did much to solve clan feuds too. Unfortunately, the Union also meant that we were now at war with nations that had hitherto been our allies. Just because England was at war with them.

Unless you're suggesting that independence would mean more invasions from England a la King Edward and maybe a Jacobite rising on our side?

Anyway, I'd rather look forward. 100k on the streets today says similar. We're only going in one direction - we want to rejoin the world.

Absolutely no way there was 100k.    20,000 looks like the top end of the estimate.