When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Mark Smith in the Herald saying that traditional Labour and Tory voters in Scotland who voted SNP this time only did so in opposition to Brexit.  He knows this because he spoke to some of them following the election.

I can only assume that journalists who spout pish like this do not expect to be taken seriously.

I read this article as well. 

He struck me as some kind of nutcase yoon desperately lashing out because the SNP attracted so many votes. All his paragraphs began with 'Unionists that I spoke to told me that....'

There was also a poorly disguised 'SNP baaaaad'  section where he blabbered on about Nicola Sturgeon celebrating the SNP taking Swinson's seat. 

The guy is a f*cking arse. An SNP hater who tries to use.......cough....'journalism' as an excuse to cover his prejudices.

I read this article as well. 
He struck me as some kind of nutcase yoon desperately lashing out because the SNP attracted so many votes. All his paragraphs began with 'Unionists that I spoke to told me that....'
There was also a poorly disguised 'SNP baaaaad'  section where he blabbered on about Nicola Sturgeon celebrating the SNP taking Swinson's seat. 
The guy is a f*cking arse. An SNP hater who tries to use.......cough....'journalism' as an excuse to cover his prejudices.

Gandhi predicted all this

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can only assume that journalists who spout pish like this do not expect to be taken seriously.

People who read newspapers cannot expect anyone to take their opinions seriously so those writing for the papers know that their audience is mostly made up of page 3 lookers who like shiny big pictures

Edited by Gaz FFC

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Mark Smith in the Herald saying that traditional Labour and Tory voters in Scotland who voted SNP this time only did so in opposition to Brexit.  He knows this because he spoke to some of them following the election.

The fact that they chose SNP and not Lib Dem would indicate that they are at least willing to consider Indy.

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

People who read newspapers cannot expect anyone to take their opinions seriously so those writing for the papers know that their audience is mostly made up of page 3 lookers who like shiny big pictures

People who post generalisations such as this however....

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As I wrote here last week the Herald is now a very poor read, and since then further cuts have been announced as part of a book-balancing exercise.  As such the owners appear to have embarked on trying to shore up their core readership which judging by the letters page has a large percentage of older right-wing Unionist readers, and to appease them they currently employ writers like Mark Smith, Andy McIver, Andrew McKie, Guy Stenhouse and the Brexiter Stuart Waiton.  There are still some from the other camp like Kevin McKenna and to an extent Iain McWhirter, but the paper's direction has moved increasingly to the right.

Yesterday's front page headline was in itself fascinating, featuring as it did the names 'Sturgeon' and 'Boris'.  I can imagine some embittered East Dunbartonshire voters in Bearsden smiling at that as they flung another saltire on the fire.

55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Remember, the SNP only won a majority at Holyrood in 2011 because Lib Dem voters angry about the coalition all just decided to vote SNP as the weirdest most nonsensical protest vote of all time.

Everything will be fine.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If they're still looking for a middle ground their as deluded as wee Swindon.

Well now they know there isn't a middle ground anymore. So even if half of them favour the UK over the EU. The other half will make a considerable difference in the next referendum result.

Guest Bob Mahelp
25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As I wrote here last week the Herald is now a very poor read, and since then further cuts have been announced as part of a book-balancing exercise.  As such the owners appear to have embarked on trying to shore up their core readership which judging by the letters page has a large percentage of older right-wing Unionist readers, and to appease them they currently employ writers like Mark Smith, Andy McIver, Andrew McKie, Guy Stenhouse and the Brexiter Stuart Waiton.  There are still some from the other camp like Kevin McKenna and to an extent Iain McWhirter, but the paper's direction has moved increasingly to the right.

Yesterday's front page headline was in itself fascinating, featuring as it did the names 'Sturgeon' and 'Boris'.  I can imagine some embittered East Dunbartonshire voters in Bearsden smiling at that as they flung another saltire on the fire.

I generally find The Herald a pretty decent read. It's the only newspaper I pay to read online, and it's a milllllllllllion times better than the BritNat cesspit that is The Scotsman.

For the main part, the online comments are (slightly) pro-independence, and I enjoy the mix of columnists that they have. 

No newspaper is perfect, but I really find The Herald is pretty balanced. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As I wrote here last week the Herald is now a very poor read, and since then further cuts have been announced as part of a book-balancing exercise.  As such the owners appear to have embarked on trying to shore up their core readership which judging by the letters page has a large percentage of older right-wing Unionist readers

I'm pretty sure there is an organised letter-writing coterie among unionists. There are a dozen or so of them at it, and they're quite proud of it, and to be fair it works.

Did anyone expect anything less from the media following yet another yellow Tsunami ?
Not all SNP voters vote yes, not all Labour vote no and not all yes or no voters vote for anyone at a general election. We know this because ehmm... We're not thick as pig shit. We also know what gaining a mandate through an election looks like regardless of whether we are yes or no voters. The SNP got a mandate for the for the first Referendum, they got a mandate for a 2nd at last 2 general elections and they'll get a mandate at Holyrood again as well.

How long can the entire unionist machine pretend it never happened ? Who knows.

On 16/12/2019 at 20:11, craigkillie said:

Some Scottish institutions such as the University of Glasgow are beginning to acknowledge the extent to which Scottish society benefited from the worst parts of the empire, such as the slave trade. I would be wholly in favour of an independent Scotland offering a formal apology and some form of repatriation to countries and communities who were impacted by our part in this imperialism. I get the feeling that this is something which could actually happen in Scotland, but the chances of it happening in England any time soon are roughly zero.

Are you absolutely off your fucking trolly?  Glasgow Uni got a sudden outbreak of diddyness and decided that James Watt was some sort of outlier.  Not sure if this was down to them being utter simpletons or just playing to a non existent gallery.

What Glasgow Uni should have done is place a levy on the entire world which benefited from Watt's genius.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Are you absolutely off your fucking trolly?  Glasgow Uni got a sudden outbreak of diddyness and decided that James Watt was some sort of outlier.  Not sure if this was down to them being utter simpletons or just playing to a non existent gallery.

What Glasgow Uni should have done is place a levy on the entire world which benefited from Watt's genius.

I have no idea what you're talking about, there's not a great deal of coherence about your post. The University of Glasgow released a report in September last year which outlined all of the ways in which the university benefited from the slave trade. James Watt was mentioned, certainly, but the contribution credited to him is much less than several others - most notably the Bellahouston estate.