The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Xavi backs Jack Wilshere for Rangers transfer and tips him to become Scottish football's best player

The Barcelona legend reckons Rangers would be a great move for Wilshere if they could agree a deal.

Rangers have been credited with an interest and the former Spanish legend has claimed the English playmaker would benefit hugely from a move to Glasgow.

Xavi was asked about Wilshere and his potential destinations having tipped him for greatness after a head-to-head almost a decade ago.

And despite the fact the former Arsenal kid’s career has not taken off in the way the Barcelona legend had forecast, he still believes there can be a late 
resurgence if he was to switch to the Premiership.

Xavi said: “I have had a lot of respect for Jack, for many years.

He played an incredible game against Barcelona (in 2011) and after that I predicted he would go on to be one of the best midfield players in the world and the future of English football. That is a prediction that I am sure would have come true if it were not for some horrible injuries.

“Rangers could be a very good fit for him. The pace in Scotland is not as fast as England and it would give him more time on the ball. That is where he excels, his vision and passing is incredible.

“They are a big club with a young coach who knows what it takes to win at the very highest level.

So Xavi references a game from 9 years ago, and this means his opinion on Wilshere is required. How many games has Xavi seen in Scotland recently? How often has he seen Wilshere? What does he know about Rangers beyond Gerrard being manager?

Top notch journalism. Does anyone actually bother to read this through and take it in?

14 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Does anyone actually bother to read this through and take it in?

The sub editor - their only role is to endure the "R number" (i.e. times the sticky buns are mentioned) is kept above 50 per day.

Picturing Keef "Meatballs" Jackson phoning Xavi up and asking what he thinks about Jack Wilshere at Rangers
It's giving me a chuckle
Yeah, sadly the story appears elsewhere too but my first reaction to reading that was Xavi rolling his eyes and finally sighing out a "Yes.... I suppose Rangers COULD be good for him" after 10 minutes of that clown running down every possible hypothetical angle of "Rangers would be the best place for him tho Xavi, wouldnt it Xavi, eh eh?"

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
23 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
Picturing Keef "Meatballs" Jackson phoning Xavi up and asking what he thinks about Jack Wilshere at Rangers
It's giving me a chuckle

Yeah, sadly the story appears elsewhere too but my first reaction to reading that was Xavi rolling his eyes and finally sighing out a "Yes.... I suppose Rangers COULD be good for him" after 10 minutes of that clown running down every possible hypothetical angle of "Rangers would be the best place for him tho Xavi, wouldnt it Xavi, eh eh?"

Imagine getting the opportunity to interview Xavi, one of the best players of his generation. Someone who literally won everything on offer. Barcelona and Spain legend. And you ask him about a guy who couldn't get a game for West Ham moving to a league I doubt he's ever watched.

I smell shite.

Edited by Jacky1990

26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It's giving me a chuckle

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
It's giving me a chuckle

After a series of "Keith who, from where, Jack who, Glasgow what? Oh Aye, absolutely !"

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Doesn't Xavi bang on about Celtic park? Switched sides these days?

Apparently all the top players who have played a game at Parkhead think it's absolutely the greatest atmosphere ever and absolutely not something they experience on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It's giving me a chuckle

I’m thinking it was a sit down with Si Ferry.

”Big Busquets must be some laugh on a night oot, eh Xavs?”

Apparently all the top players who have played a game at Parkhead think it's absolutely the greatest atmosphere ever and absolutely not something they experience on a regular basis.

Do Sportsound still bang on about the tremendous CL atmosphere and stop talking when the Greatest Fans in the World sing YNWA, as if it’s the first time it’s ever been done ?

Ah sorry, my mistake. I forgot.

Europa League now innit’...

To be fair, in the pre-internet days of four TV channels I used to believe this stuff when it appeared in the tabloids. Then I bought a copy or two of World Soccer. These days they just print it to cuddle the ego of the club's fans.