The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

From the BBC website on the Dundee v Rangers game 

"A draw for the hosts"

"A draw" would suffice, a draw for the hosts would also be a draw for the visitors.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

"A draw for the hosts"

"A draw" would suffice, a draw for the hosts would also be a draw for the visitors.

To be fair, I understand the phrasing in the context of the rest of the sentence. It's about what would knock Motherwell out of the top 6 race. 

I'm more irritated by the line:

Should the game go ahead, Rangers will go top of the table with a win while a victory for Dundee would secure a top-six finish.

Shouldn't the effect of a Dundee win come first, since they're the home team? It's a small thing, but it's symptomatic of the wider issues in the way things are framed in the Scottish Football media. 

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"A draw for the hosts"

Technically true but think it’s just putting emphasis on the fact they are talking about Dundee’s objectives and not rangers. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c51n8evexjwo

They (Dundee) can seal the deal with a win against Rangers tonight, and even if they don’t get the job done tonight, their top-six spot will be secure if they can match, or better, Hibs' result this weekend.

Nope try again - if we match Hibs' defeat to Motherwell then we're bottom 6.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

To be fair, I understand the phrasing in the context of the rest of the sentence. It's about what would knock Motherwell out of the top 6 race. 

Should the game go ahead, Rangers will go top of the table with a win while a victory for Dundee would secure a top-six finish.

Shouldn't the effect of a Dundee win come first, since they're the home team? It's a small thing, but it's symptomatic of the wider issues in the way things are framed in the Scottish Football media. 

Can't agree in this case... Going top of the league trumps securing a totally irrelevant 'top six' place. 

23 minutes on the pitch for Rangers in his entire time there, in a game against a team from Gibraltar. Played many more games for Dundee, Harrogate Town, Stirling Albion, Morton, Morecambe, Tranmere and Queens Park - but yep, he's a 'former Rangers winger'.

image.png.aff6bf1c613ab98929ab206bba704ead.png

8 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

23 minutes on the pitch for Rangers in his entire time there, in a game against a team from Gibraltar. Played many more games for Dundee, Harrogate Town, Stirling Albion, Morton, Morecambe, Tranmere and Queens Park - but yep, he's a 'former Rangers winger'.

image.png.aff6bf1c613ab98929ab206bba704ead.png

I mean, its not wrong is it? He was only ever on loan at those other teams. Was always a Rangers player through those spells other than Stirling?

In the scale of shite journalism, always think this kind of stuff is nothing to get worked up over.

14 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I mean, its not wrong is it? He was only ever on loan at those other teams. Was always a Rangers player through those spells other than Stirling?

In the scale of shite journalism, always think this kind of stuff is nothing to get worked up over.

We may yet live to see the day when they're all technically former Celtgers players.

7 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

It's not technically wrong (and you're not wrong that it's probably a waste of time being bothered by it), but it's symptomatic of the terrible, Old Firm weighted reporting in this country, where flattering the cheeks is much more important than accurate/useful information. 

I mean, Connor Randall spent more than a decade on Liverpool's books and played for the first team in the EPL 3 times - but I doubt the Record would describe him as 'ex-Liverpool right back Connor Randall'* 🙂

Edited by lennyzer0

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

It's not technically wrong (and you're not wrong that it's probably a waste of time being bothered by it), but it's symptomatic of the terrible, Old Firm weighted reporting in this country, where flattering the cheeks is much more important than accurate/useful information. 

I mean, Connor Randall spent more than a decade on Liverpool's books and played for the first team in the EPL 3 times - but I doubt the Record would describe him as 'ex-Liverpool right back Connor Randall'* 🙂

The old firm coverage is ridiculous but I think there has to be a reasonable acceptance that most of their readership will be old firm fans and the reference is just a way to draw them into reading the story. 

I was watching some EFL highlights at the weekend and a goal was scored by Joe Nuttall. Likely mean nothing to you but the name rang a bell so I googled and turns out I was right, he made two appearances for Aberdeen back early on in the mcinnes era. The only reason I googled him was a very passing association with Aberdeen. 

That mindset is all they’re leaning into with it and I don’t think it’s that unreasonable a tactic. 

22 hours ago, The Master said:

That's not what jumped out at me: I'm no English teacher, but the Rangers win is the future tense as if it were expected, while Dundee's is the conditional tense (or whatever). They should really both be in the same tense.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

That's not what jumped out at me: I'm no English teacher, but the Rangers win is the future tense as if it were expected, while Dundee's is the conditional tense (or whatever). They should really both be in the same tense.

Standard. When Celtic lost at Tynecastle recently, the BBC (I believe) had a headline referring to it as a "shock".

Nobody in positions of authority in the game questions that the current champions losing away to the team in third place is a surprise, and whether it's a healthy thing that Celtgers should be expected to win every game against everyone else.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Standard. When Celtic lost at Tynecastle recently, the BBC (I believe) had a headline referring to it as a "shock".

Nobody in positions of authority in the game questions that the current champions losing away to the team in third place is a surprise, and whether it's a healthy thing that Celtgers should be expected to win every game against everyone else.

Another thing that’s really tragic about our league is a consequence of having only 2 big clubs that can win the league instead of 3 or 4. So for them, every game is effectively a six-pointer. If say Killie or St Mirren beat either of them, it’s obviously because they want to help the other lot rather than just win for themselves. 

4 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Another thing that’s really tragic about our league is a consequence of having only 2 big clubs that can win the league instead of 3 or 4. So for them, every game is effectively a six-pointer. If say Killie or St Mirren beat either of them, it’s obviously because they want to help the other lot rather than just win for themselves. 

Ah, the big list of clubs that are secretly "ONE OF THEM" because they had the temerity to beat one/lose to the other heavily.

I wonder if they really believe that club managers all eventually have an edict sent down from the board that they have to relay in the dressing room..."well lads, I know we were planning to slack off in the last couple of games, but the chairman's noticed that our opponents might win the league ahead of his favourite clumpany, so I need you to go out and win for the Pope/Queen today".

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Only if you think both outcomes are equally likely.

SEO plays a part in every player under the sun being called former Celtic or Rangers. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Daily Record has always done it.

The ex-Old Firm tag has been around for a lot longer than the internet and not even 23 minutes is needed, just having been part of one of their set ups is enough. It's the Scottish media's equivalent of a star on the Hollywood walk of fame and a lifelong honour bestowed on a player. Their love for everything bigot should never be underplayed.