The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 01/09/2024 at 18:35, GordonS said:

Tom English: "It was a comment that will draw the same kind of blank expressions you see when historians are asked about the location of the Holy Grail or the resting place of the Mary Celeste."

The Mary Celeste didn't go missing. It was found with no crew on it. We know where its resting place was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cwy7d4p9mpgo 

The usual pseudo-intellectual pish from English.

His writing is terrible, especially now he seems to have free rein to come up with any old bollocks.

Exhibit B would be his radio ramblings. Just very bad at his job.

Not one for his football output I suppose but English also wrote a quite bizarre puff piece about the new performance consultant type guy the SRU have signed. He looks a good addition tbf but the article crossed the line into arse kissing territory in quite an odd way 

38 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Not one for his football output I suppose but English also wrote a quite bizarre puff piece about the new performance consultant type guy the SRU have signed. He looks a good addition tbf but the article crossed the line into arse kissing territory in quite an odd way 

Give it 6 months and he’ll be writing about how he always suspected he’d be a dud. 

I'm not sure if this counts as journalism, but two former referees have decided to go full Celtic Da and question the lines used by VAR for offside. 

There's plenty to criticise VAR for. But the what they're putting forward here is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how the lines are placed, and - ultimately - simple mathematics. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I'm not sure if this counts as journalism, but two former referees have decided to go full Celtic Da and question the lines used by VAR for offside. 

There's plenty to criticise VAR for. But the what they're putting forward here is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how the lines are placed, and - ultimately - simple mathematics. 

They won 3-0, at an absolute canter, but they're still looking for masons under the bed. 

41 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Arsenal 6-0 Rangers: Caitlin Foord scores four for Gunners in Champions League qualifing - BBC Sport

According to the line ups Lizzie Arnot was in goal for Rangers. She's a midfielder. 

I know squad numbers can be a bugger compared to 1-11 but surely the BBC hack got a team sheet?

For some bizarre reason, they've started listing teams in alphabetical order.

On 03/09/2024 at 11:46, KnightswoodBear said:

They won 3-0, at an absolute canter, but they're still looking for masons under the bed. 

Those tweets and replies are mental.

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

For some bizarre reason, they've started listing teams in alphabetical order.

I think they have basically just given up trying to put even the slightest bit of effort into the data content on their site, and are now just pumping an Opta feed straight on to the page without any human input at the BBC.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think they have basically just given up trying to put even the slightest bit of effort into the data content on their site, and are now just pumping an Opta feed straight on to the page without any human input at the BBC.

One of the many bright spots of the period between The Rangers being formed and promotion to the top division was that the BBC actually started paying attention to the their lower-league coverage. Anything outside of the Premiership has been gradually abandoned since.

*sigh*

It really is amazing how poor the BBC Sports website is these days. 

I really dislike how many of the pages are turning into timelines where your only navigation options is to scroll downwards with little clue as to what awaits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens/scottish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aberdeen

I often feel Tom English gets marginally more hate than he deserves but that report on the Poland game is so poor. Student level flowery nonsense. 

Talks about Gilmour and Mctominay in the same line and then mentions "the Napoli midfielder". Which one? 

That line about Gunn is a shocker too. 

Edited by FrankChickens1

"Facing the great Robert Lewandowski was an Everestian feat"

Everestian? What in the ever loving f**k?

The man is a f**king idiot. I was reading the piece, unaware of who the author was, I get about 2 paragraphs in and there it is, another painful Englishism.

Edited by Ric

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

It really is amazing how poor the BBC Sports website is these days. 

I really dislike how many of the pages are turning into timelines where your only navigation options is to scroll downwards with little clue as to what awaits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens/scottish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aberdeen

HAVE YOUR SAY