Dundee United v Motherwell

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's your opinion but I disagree. The likes of Billy McKay, Blair Spittal, John Rankin, Gavin Gunning even, as well as Dow are all either every bit as good as our best players, or slightly better and all of them would improve our current team. United, like us are low on confidence but I think they've only lost one in five or six now and they thumped Kilmarnock 5-1 last month, the same Kilmarnock who tickled our bellies the other day. We are,getting worse by the week and if/when Dundee Utd beat us tomorrow night, just watch us go into full panic mode.

Are you ever anywhere else? :whistle

It'll be interesting to see if McGhee has any further tactical switches up his sleeve, or goes with the best XI available. While the 4-3-3/4-5-1 didn't work in the last two games, I think that's more to do with having McDonald up front, rather than Moult, for example.

I'd get back to having two up top. With Pearson suspended, I'd bring Lasley in, as well as bringing Moult into start in place of Ainsworth. Hopefully Ben Hall has recovered and can take Kennedy's place too.

Ripley

Law

Hall

McManus

Hammell

Cadden

Lasley

Gomis

Johnson

Moult

McDonald

Agree on this. The one slight positive I can think of is that it was only a fortnight ago we took a point off Dundee at Dens (a team who are clearly in better shape than United in terms of league position) with pretty much the team you've listed above.

It could probably be argued that the poor performances against ICT and Killie were mitigated by the change in shape and playing McDonald in that role and while it's clearly not done anything for our form or confidence I do wonder whether getting back to line-up that we seemed reasonably comfortable playing would benefit us.

Having said that our last away win was at Parkhead in December and our record away under McGhee is: XWLWLXL (which isn't actually as bad as I thought it'd be).

All we've learned is that winning manager of the month is a fucking curse.

That's the team we should be going with, Desp. A couple of games away from home might not actually be the worst thing just now. Week after week I wonder if we'll see Fletcher, but given the signing of McFadden, I'd presume we'll never see him again.

Well that's your opinion but I disagree. The likes of Billy McKay, Blair Spittal, John Rankin, Gavin Gunning even, as well as Dow are all either every bit as good as our best players, or slightly better and all of them would improve our current team. United, like us are low on confidence but I think they've only lost one in five or six now and they thumped Kilmarnock 5-1 last month, the same Kilmarnock who tickled our bellies the other day. We are,getting worse by the week and if/when Dundee Utd beat us tomorrow night, just watch us go into full panic mode.

Gavin Gunning.... No Way only person worse than him is Durnan

Gonna miss this due to work. Fed up with it!

Anyway, we need baws oot performance like the Kilmarnock game to get something here. Nasty feeling that either teams mistakes will be the difference between a win or not.

like GD think we are down but want the shred of dignity a decent points tally would provide.

Gunning has been superb in the middle of the three. Absolute dinghy but he wins everything in the air and just keeps it simple now. Him and Donaldson look dece.

Would drop at least one of the strikers - they looked knackered on Saturday. Shame mckay looks a lot worse when not up front on his own.

Kawashima; Knowle, Donaldson, Gunning, Dillon; Dixon; Paton, Rankin; Spittal, Ofere, Murray

This is a must win not in terms of relegation (we're fucked) but in terms of building some confidence and momentum to carry into next season. We started this season on the back of a horrendous second half of the previous season and the losing mentality was there for all to see. We need to show something between now and the end of the season to give some encouragement and belief that we can bounce back at the first attempt..

Would bring Pongolle in for Dow if fit and Dixon for Demel for this one.

This is a must win not in terms of relegation (we're fucked) but in terms of building some confidence and momentum to carry into next season. We started this season on the back of a horrendous second half of the previous season and the losing mentality was there for all to see. We need to show something between now and the end of the season to give some encouragement and belief that we can bounce back at the first attempt.. Would bring Pongolle in for Dow if fit and Dixon for Demel for this one.

I wouldn't say that just yet, if United can beat Motherwell three times and win the game in hand over the 'well. We could be equal on points (assuming we have parallel records til the end of the season)

I wouldn't say that just yet, if United can beat Motherwell three times and win the game in hand over the 'well. We could be equal on points (assuming we have parallel records til the end of the season)

Wish I could be as optimistic but we have only won 3 league games all season and in your scenario we need 4 wins in addition to matching the number of wins Motherwell pick up between now and the end of the season. Would love to be wrong and will still be there cheering every goal in blind hope that we can pull off a miracle escape.

The regulars on Steelmen Online appear to be on suicide watch. Even more so than usual.

While of course I never want Motherwell to lose, there will be some unbelievable meltdowns on there if we do. Already we have one genius who suggests playing Gomis in midfield, and then just five attackers ahead of him. Apparently we'll definitely lose if we don't go this way...

Might go out and get some popcorn for Wednesday lunchtime, just in case Utd win.

The regulars on Steelmen Online appear to be on suicide watch. Even more so than usual.

While of course I never want Motherwell to lose, there will be some unbelievable meltdowns on there if we do.

How would you expect them to react? If we lose for a fourth match in a row, to another relegation rival, hot on the heels of the Kilmarnock shambles and see a once 16 point lead over United whittled down to 9 with them having a game in hand then it's only natural that Motherwell fans won't be turning cartwheels about it.

It was posts and attitudes like this, amongst other things, that eventually convinced me to chuck Steelmenonline as for every poor result you had this ever growing band who liked to round on those criticising the team and accuse them of wanting the team to lose, often getting personal. Granted, you were not one of the main culprits, but that mindset was definitely there.

Motherwell fans are no different to any other set of football supporters worldwide in that when we win, the support is happy, when we are on a good run, the mood rockets, and when we lose, we're not so happy and when on a bad run, the mood plummets. That's just football and our support is not unique in that respect.

Wish I could be as optimistic but we have only won 3 league games all season and in your scenario we need 4 wins in addition to matching the number of wins Motherwell pick up between now and the end of the season. Would love to be wrong and will still be there cheering every goal in blind hope that we can pull off a miracle escape.

We've got a 100% record against Motherwell this season... 8)

MJC, I'd expect them to act disappointed, angry etc, but to put their point across rationally and with a bit of thought. To be fair to you, you do that the majority of the time, even if I don't always agree with you.

That lot, however, is just a series of "arrrghhhhhh we're going down, oh no oh no oh no oh, the world is going to end, it's aw McGhee's fault. Well him and Burrows anyway..." type nonsense.

Only with more spelling mistakes, and inventing players like Gomez.

We were more than capable of going five or six unbeaten a couple of months ago. Yes, we're on a bad run just now, but just as I didn't get carried away in December, I won't be panicking just now. One win (and as i said previously, no better time than tonight to get it) and it'll turn for us.

How would you expect them to react? If we lose for a fourth match in a row, to another relegation rival, hot on the heels of the Kilmarnock shambles and see a once 16 point lead over United whittled down to 9 with them having a game in hand then it's only natural that Motherwell fans won't be turning cartwheels about it.

It was posts and attitudes like this, amongst other things, that eventually convinced me to chuck Steelmenonline as for every poor result you had this ever growing band who liked to round on those criticising the team and accuse them of wanting the team to lose, often getting personal. Granted, you were not one of the main culprits, but that mindset was definitely there.

Motherwell fans are no different to any other set of football supporters worldwide in that when we win, the support is happy, when we are on a good run, the mood rockets, and when we lose, we're not so happy and when on a bad run, the mood plummets. That's just football and our support is not unique in that respect.

I think it's normal that everyone gets frustrated in the type of run we're on - I'm the same - but to read the insanity of "maybe a season in the Championship will help us rebuild with young players" getting trotted out does my head in. It's worked out well for St Mirren hasn't it? And Falkirk. And Dunfermline. These (along with Killie) are probably the most similar clubs to 'Well and they've all had a nightmare since being relegated....

Going to head up for the game tonight as it's a biggie - not confident at all given that Pearson is out (even allowing for his ropey form recently) - but we really need a point here.....

Well him and Burrows anyway..." type nonsense.

Is my favourite of the current gripes. I've not the faintest idea what he does on a day to day basis with us, but have always found him entirely pleasant, and a good communicator of what's going on at the club. From a fan perspective at least, surely that's all anyone wants from a club employee?

Arabs on here resigned or sanguine.

Motherwell fans on here panicking.

The joys of knowing that you're already screwed.

I'm not quite at the panicking stage yet as we've been in far worse positions - but last season showed that even if our form picks up, as it did then, other teams form can pick up more (c.f. Ross County). It would take a monumental turnaround for Utd to overtake us - but it is a very realistic prospect that we'll be in the playoffs again...

Archived