Whose Going Down?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're on a fairly shocking run of form and at the moment it's genuinely difficult to see where we'll pick points up from. However, from the outside looking in I do wonder whether our group of players have an issue with complacency. In a way for all our poor results recently the players have invariably had an out that they could deflect to:

- unlucky to lose a last min pen vs Accies

- unlucky to lose a last minute pen vs Dundee

- lost a last minute goal vs Thistle

- lost in injury time vs ICT

- we've got a couple of games in hand

- we're not cut adrift etc etc

Of course all of that is pretty much bullshit. Where previously in December we were getting better incrementally, since the turn of the year we've been getting slacker and slacker. It's almost as if the players seemed to think that the wee run in December was enough.

I've referenced it before but there was an interview with Moult at the start of November (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34701504) for context we'd not long bulleted Baraclough and our record under McGhee was lost vs Celtic, drew vs Aberdeen and scraped a 1-0 vs Killie. Yet in that interview Moult's talking us up as looking "fantastic off the ball at the moment" and that we could become "a force to be reckoned with" before finishing off with "We don't want (to be involved in another relegation battle) and I believe we won't be - I know for a fact we won't. As long as we keep working hard, we'll get rewards." Suffice to say off the back of that we were pumped 3-1 by ICT at Fir Park and dismantled 3-0 by Ross County up in Dingwall, results and performances which saw us drop down to 11th.

That's not to single out Moult as such, if there's one thing about him you can't question it's his attitude, but I do think it says something about our group of players in so much as even being generous it was some leap to go from where we actually were when he gave that interview (10th on 14 points, 4 points ahead of Thistle) and us being in any way shape or form "fantastic" or having the potential to be a "force to be reckoned with".

Hopefully the horror shows over the past couple of weeks and the fact that we've dropped back down to 11th to be the kick up the arse the players clearly need. Clutching at straws somewhat but I suppose the fact that we were able to show we've got it in us to pick up some results off the back of dropping into a similar position a couple of months ago however again I think the worry is that they look at that and just think "Ach, we'll be fine. We beat Celtic, the results will come."

United are gone. They're doon.

As for who'll finish 11th, Killie's wacky appointment of "Cool Head" Clark has the potential to backfire. If they end up in the play-off spot, they're down. And if they go down, I fear they'll struggle to return in our lifetime.

Despite their recent results, Motherwell has enough quality to stay out of trouble.

Normally I would agree but defensively they appear to have a huge problem. Stephen McManus just looks like he can't be arsed at the moment and there doesn't seem to be much pace at the back or from anyone to track runners from midfield.

Saying all this, I would put my money on Hamilton being in 11th at the end of the season if I was forced to put money on it right now as I think they have the weakest overall squad.

Who knows though as it's been one of those seasons. :1eye

As for who'll finish 11th, Killie's wacky appointment of "Cool Head" Clark has the potential to backfire. If they end up in the play-off spot, they're down. And if they go down, I fear they'll struggle to return in our lifetime.

Are you speaking for everyone on P&B? I hope so as there are some really old feckers on here. Killie could be back up in a couple of years then.

Is the feeling amongst Premiership bottom 6 fans that whoever finishes 11th will be down too?

I'm assuming if the answer is yes then it's because they expect to play Hibs and not Falkirk.

I'm glad we have some excitement in both leagues at the top and the bottom.

Hate it when the whole thing is obvious by xmas and you're playing friendlies til May

If Dundee United beat us tomorrow night then they are only 9 points behind us with a game in hand, so I wouldn't write them off yet. I think it'll come down to who, out,of ourselves Killie and Utd can be the less shite during the remainder of the campaign.

From what I've seen of the three sides, we are turgid, with an awful defence and threadbare confidence, and a manager who I think is part of the problem rather than the solution. Killie don't impress me either, although they comfortably outplayed us on Saturday there, and they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, while United, I think, while a poor side, are arguably the best out of the three, at least on paper and a couple more wins and they will be right back in the mix.

I reckon it'll either be us or Kilmarnock finishing 12th with United in the playoffs.

Maybe my lifetime, although I'd like to think I could maybe squeeze in another 7+ years with a bit of luck.

I would be fairly confident they would return during my youngest grandaughter's lifetime - she's 5 months old.

I would be fairly confident they would return during my youngest grandaughter's lifetime - she's 5 months old.

I admire your confidence, old timer, but I see Killie struggllng to get back. Really strugglng.

Normally I would agree but defensively they appear to have a huge problem. Stephen McManus just looks like he can't be arsed at the moment and there doesn't seem to be much pace at the back or from anyone to track runners from midfield.

Saying all this, I would put my money on Hamilton being in 11th at the end of the season if I was forced to put money on it right now as I think they have the weakest overall squad.

Who knows though as it's been one of those seasons. :1eye

They also have the problem that Mark McGhee is a shite manager.

If Dundee United beat us tomorrow night then they are only 9 points behind us with a game in hand, so I wouldn't write them off yet. I think it'll come down to who, out,of ourselves Killie and Utd can be the less shite during the remainder of the campaign.

From what I've seen of the three sides, we are turgid, with an awful defence and threadbare confidence, and a manager who I think is part of the problem rather than the solution. Killie don't impress me either, although they comfortably outplayed us on Saturday there, and they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, while United, I think, while a poor side, are arguably the best out of the three, at least on paper and a couple more wins and they will be right back in the mix.

I reckon it'll either be us or Kilmarnock finishing 12th with United in the playoffs.

If we could face Sevco in the play offs and beat the c***s (again) it would make our whole shit season worthwhile. If past history counts for anything we have a 100% record against them.

If you look at tables at the time of the split over previous seasons you can maybe gauge the "magic amount", same for the final points totals for teams in 10th.

2014/15 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 37pts

2013/14 - 6th place: 48pts, 10th place: 31pts

2012/13 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 37pts

2011/12 - 6th place: 48pts, 10th place: 32pts

2010/11 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 31pts

We're currently on 32 points. 40 seems to be the target to beat the Play-Offs, while 50 guarantees top six. We've nine games left to play.

Motherwell (H), Partick (A), Aberdeen (A), Partick (H), Ross County (H), Hearts (A), United (H), Killie (A)

To me, we should be looking for 10-15 points from that. Which should be enough for the top half.

If you look at tables at the time of the split over previous seasons you can maybe gauge the "magic amount", same for the final points totals for teams in 10th.

2014/15 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 37pts

2013/14 - 6th place: 48pts, 10th place: 31pts

2012/13 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 37pts

2011/12 - 6th place: 48pts, 10th place: 32pts

2010/11 - 6th place: 44pts, 10th place: 31pts

We're currently on 32 points. 40 seems to be the target to beat the Play-Offs, while 50 guarantees top six. We've nine games left to play.

Motherwell (H), Partick (A), Aberdeen (A), Partick (H), Ross County (H), Hearts (A), United (H), Killie (A)

To me, we should be looking for 10-15 points from that. Which should be enough for the top half.

Key matches will be the 2 against Partick plus single games against Motherwell, United and Killie.

3 wins and a draw should (I say should) be possible - especially with 3 of those games being at home.

Key matches will be the 2 against Partick plus single games against Motherwell, United and Killie.

3 wins and a draw should (I say should) be possible - especially with 3 of those games being at home.

We also have a home game against ICT I forgot about as its not been scheduled yet.

But yeah, next week is huge. Beat Motherwell then we take confidence into some winnable games. Lose and we could crumble. Hard to judge games against Partick, County and Killie, they all seem so unpredictable performance wise.

Archived