Whose Going Down?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not wishing it upon any team, but .......

Dundee United - Automatically, I fear the points gap will prove too much even to scrape the playoff place

Motherwell - based on yesterday performance against us, they are in as much disarray as we were under GL

On current form St Johnstone are in with a shout of doing a Hibs.

Seven league games without a win. Hibs went 18 with only one win. We're not quite there yet.

We've gone from shite luck to just plain shite. 1 point since that fanny McGhee was going on about being Liverpool manager.

I don't dislike Motherwell but absolutely loathed McGhee - the man has to be one of the most over-rated managers around - and I'm not just talking about his own self-evaluation!!

Apart from us it really is a lottery. There are a few teams that are absolutely horrific on their day but equally can pick up the odd win here and there. It really is a pretty exciting end to the season and I would reckon that there will be at least three sides who will probably need until the last week to stay out of 11th.

The consensus has been that someone has to have a total collapse if Dundee United are going to avoid 12th. It's far from guaranteed, but Killie are surely their best chance of it now with the appointment of Clark. If they get even two wins out of a new manager bounce before inevitably being absolutely shite and going on a winless run it should be enough to put them out of United's reach if they can even add a few draws rather than losing every week once the winless run starts, but if they just go straight to typical Lee Clark form they're in trouble.

2 pts out of 21 is not exactly top form - you are now only 6 pts from safety and in freefall - if Well win to close the gap I can see there being a few squeaky bums in Perth.

Theres already squeaky bums

St Johnstone have 32 points from 24 games and a 6 point gap with a game in hand from 11th.

2 years ago Hibs had 28 from 24, won their 25th which gave them a 9 point gap and a game in hand from 11th then only took 4 points from their last 13 games to finish 3 points behind 10th.

St Johnstone could fall that low, but I'd suggest Hamilton, Well, Killie, and ourselves (not liking this fixture backlog) are far more likely to be 11th.

I'd be interested to see if someone could sim out the season based on current points totals to guesstimate what the likely points total for survival will be, I've done it myself over the last couple of years but only once the post-split fixtures are known.

Can't see St Johnstone being dragged down further into the danger zone. Whether we can unclench or not depends a lot on what we take from the games we have in hand to those around us. I don't think we're 'safe' until we string together another good unbeaten run.

I can genuinely see Utd drag themselves out of last place before the end of the season, but they will need one or two clubs (Killie, Motherwell, us or Hamilton) to have a stinking run of results for them to do so.

With Killie's new manager, we'll need to see over the next few fixtures whether he has a positive impact. If not, then I can see Killie being 11th or worse. Despite their recent results, Motherwell has enough quality to stay out of trouble.

Archived