Scotrail

ScottR96

On the train this morning........decided not to announce it in advance so as not to ruin all your days before they started. All going well so far, train on time and got a seat! Scotrail have excelled themselves today!

Cue signal failure and a complete cancellation of all services........

This week they have excelled themselves for me.

Tuesday: Meant to get the 0830 Glasgow Central to Ayr. It was cancelled, as was the 0834, then got the 0904 which they only confirmed was running at 0903. Got to the platform and the train wasn't open and had no crew. Left about 20 past 9 and I was half an hour late for Uni.

Wednesday: Meant to get the 0923 Milngavie to Queen Street. The train two infront of it (also going to Edinburgh) was cancelled because it was running 3 carriages and someone collapsed. That delayed the 0909 before mine, making it 15 minutes late leaving, my train eventually left 10 minutes late and, after speed walking through Glasgow, I was only 5 minutes late for work.

Today: Meant to get the above train. Cancelled due to the Blackridge fire. Thought I'd just switch onto the 0909 but it's now cancelled because they don't have any electricity.

Screenshot 2017-01-19 at 08.37.31.png

Perhaps this has been covered already? Earlier this week I was going to Dundee from Ayrshire, returning same day. Looked at thetrainline.com for times, connections and the price of a return was £52 but singles each way much cheaper option. Went to Ayr station and - as has been mentioned elsewhere - no trains running. At Kilmarnock station the very helpful ticket clerk told me the cheapest way to buy the journey was to obtain returns Kilmarnock-Glasgow, Glasgow-Perth and Perth-Dundee. That saved about £20

Tomorrow I'm going Ayr-Edinburgh return at peak times. In the past I've just stuck my card in the machine and bought a return, but again I discover it's cheaper to separate the journey into 2 legs for ticketing. Explain the logic in that, anyone?

I regularly get the Queen st train from Garrowhill. Scotrail recently changed their timetable meaning instead of stopping at all stations they have mixed it up so that that most trains miss out a couple of Stations. But the scheduled time for the 2 station stop From G'hill to Queen st is the same 12 minutes it was for the 4 Station stop. No wonder their punctuality rate is improving.

To be fair to Scotrail, the service has been better recently, although they are still a bit of a shambles at Waverley Station with the 'guess which train is yours' strategy on platforms and misleading information on the screens.

51 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Perhaps this has been covered already? Earlier this week I was going to Dundee from Ayrshire, returning same day. Looked at thetrainline.com for times, connections and the price of a return was £52 but singles each way much cheaper option. Went to Ayr station and - as has been mentioned elsewhere - no trains running. At Kilmarnock station the very helpful ticket clerk told me the cheapest way to buy the journey was to obtain returns Kilmarnock-Glasgow, Glasgow-Perth and Perth-Dundee. That saved about £20

Tomorrow I'm going Ayr-Edinburgh return at peak times. In the past I've just stuck my card in the machine and bought a return, but again I discover it's cheaper to separate the journey into 2 legs for ticketing. Explain the logic in that, anyone?

Always worth checking split ticketing websites for journeys like Edinburgh - Inverness or Aberdeen - Glasgow to see if buying multiple tickets for the same journey works out cheaper. I've saved about £20 getting Edinburgh - Perth and Perth - Inverness tickets rather than an Edinburgh - Inverness ticket. I never changed trains. I was on the same one all the time.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Always worth checking split ticketing websites for journeys like Edinburgh - Inverness or Aberdeen - Glasgow to see if buying multiple tickets for the same journey works out cheaper. I've saved about £20 getting Edinburgh - Perth and Perth - Inverness tickets rather than an Edinburgh - Inverness ticket. I never changed trains. I was on the same one all the time.

One daft one is that it's usually cheaper to buy a return from Inverness to Aberdeen than it is to Inverurie.

There are websites that explain the split ticketing thing but you would need a degree in physics to understand it.

Go on split ticket sites, find the best deal then go back to Scotrail and buy on their site to avoid split ticket commission.

As a rule of thumb if you travel through hubs such as Glasgow Edinburgh and Perth that is where the price breaks are.

The only downside to this is if you do have to change and you miss a connection you are, in theory, gubbed. However I have had taxis all over the country from Scotrail without ever having to produce a ticket tto prove I was booked on the missed train.

I've never found these sites work for me, maybe because I'm often headed for obscure stations in Wales or the Highlands with multiple changes. Easy enough to experiment on National Rail. Usually it just means splitting at major hubs and picking between singles and returns.

9 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

I am fucking shitting it for Saturday 

1013 Aberdeen - Inverness - arrives @ 1222

1335 Inverness - Dingwall - arrives @ 14:08

What could possibly go wrong!

You have over an hour between connection, where is the issue?

Just now, bobbykdy said:

You have over an hour between connection, where is the issue?

Scotrail always f**k up when I have a connection, i can guarantee my train from Aberdeen will be delayed by 55mins or so, it always happens when I have a connection

I am fucking shitting it for Saturday 

1013 Aberdeen - Inverness - arrives @ 1222
1335 Inverness - Dingwall - arrives @ 14:08

What could possibly go wrong!

The 10 second walk from platform 2 to platform 4 must be a real worry to you