General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

10 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Posted their highest level in the summer there. Still only around 25% though.

Thank f**k for that.

Tonight I fully expect to wake screaming from a nightmare in which Wales, Norn Iron, Cornwall, and Watford Gap Service Station are all doing fine as independent countries, while we're still cowering beneath mummy's petticoats.

42 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Frances Coppola having a normal one making Graeber's tragic death entirely about his opinion of her. Why are people like this?

I'm going to use Mixu's dotting research as my contribution to anyone on here's obituary. Stay healthy people.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going to Mixu's dotting research as my contribution to anyone on here's obituary. Stay healthy people.

The funniest thing is he called her "an attention-seeking contrarian who doesn't care about anything but her own ego". Can't imagine where he got that impression from.

Edited by NotThePars

Coppola is a symptom of the ills in society at the minute. Someone with absolutely nothing of interest to say who is given a prominence that disproves theories of meritocracy.

Toby Young’s dad coining the term meritocracy is one of those beautiful pieces of poetic irony that proves the existence of a higher power imo

18 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Thank f**k for that.

Tonight I fully expect to wake screaming from a nightmare in which Wales, Norn Iron, Cornwall, and Watford Gap Service Station are all doing fine as independent countries, while we're still cowering beneath mummy's petticoats.

Thing about Wales and independence is that plaid's brand of separatism is largely identity based. 

Wales doesn't have a history of independent institutions and has never been a unified independent territory, let alone an independent state in the relatively modern sense. 

Lots of the border regions have closer ties with England than with other parts of Wales and North/south unity is pretty much limited to rugby internationals. 

I don't see any real prospect of independence being a viable movement any time soon for our thick necked cousins. 

Independent Kernow is more like it though, chuck Stein in the sea. 

Ma Bam got a leaflet from the Lib Dem candidate- you're supposed to answer various questions in a survey as to what really matters to you. Q5 is "Should Scotland leave the UK" 

I didn't get a leaflet despite living in the same area. Ma Bam is a coffin dodg..sorry, a senior citizen, who are more likely to be Unionists and I wonder if senior citizens only are getting leaflets..

If the LDs get say 50 leaflets posted back to them (a very generous figure I suspect, most leaflets will go in the recycling) and 43 of them say the Union should remain I can just see their candidate saying "Our scientifically accurate snapshot poll revealed that over 80% of voters in the constituency are against independence. SNP bad".

And if they got 30 out of 30 leaflets back saying Yes to independence they'd ignore that as being too small a sample of course.

"BULLIES WON'T SILENCE ME"

TV narcissist Neil Oliver in the paper today.

Deftly glossing over his hysterical reaction to Boris Johnson cutting short his holiday in Scotland which caused him "mortification and heartbreak" cos somebody in Twitter suggested he was forced to leave. 

Turns out the claim was nonsense, but he was still right to feel that way, cos reasons.

David Starkey. Despite sending his support "tell him I love him" via Brexit gimp Darrem Grimes, he now claims to not really know him that well. It's unfair on Neil cos he's been dragged into a proxy war through no fault off his. 

And people say mean things about his hair.

But the best bit is his claim that what he is currently experiencing is like being in the Battle of Ypres!

TV historian Neil Oliver, thanks for your service. 

20200906_194108.jpg

"BULLIES WON'T SILENCE ME"
TV narcissist Neil Oliver in the paper today.
Deftly glossing over his hysterical reaction to Boris Johnson cutting short his holiday in Scotland which caused him "mortification and heartbreak" cos somebody in Twitter suggested he was forced to leave. 
Turns out the claim was nonsense, but he was still right to feel that way, cos reasons.
David Starkey. Despite sending his support "tell him I love him" via Brexit gimp Darrem Grimes, he now claims to not really know him that well. It's unfair on Neil cos he's been dragged into a proxy war through no fault off his. 
And people say mean things about his hair.
But the best bit is his claim that what he is currently experiencing is like being in the Battle of Ypres!
TV historian Neil Oliver, thanks for your service. 
20200906_194108.thumb.jpg.f2c500625d6553f4fb172ab6b624ad82.jpg
I disagree with Oliver on many, many things - but he's clearly going through a pretty nasty time trying to deal with this.

A few years ago he was doing very well, and generally an uncontroversial tv historian. Now he's openly abused and his views on anything and everything are dismissed by masses of people on social media.

I listened to an excellent Adam Buxton interview today (his podcast series) discussing this very thing with a former editor of the new statesman. This woman had interviewed Jordan pieterson a while back and her and buxton were discussing the effects of these social media storms on people's lives.

It's a horribly toxic thing to go through, and i genuinely don't think we've realised how damaging these things can be for individuals.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's a horribly toxic thing to go through, and i genuinely don't think we've realised how damaging these things can be for individuals.

Totally agree with your general point no issue there.

But, knowing how the "Scottish" media works, he has been given the opportunity to gloss over a couple of relatively minor, daft social media faux-pas that would have already been forgotten about, to blame everyone else for it. I believe the youngsters call it "gaslighting".

And is basically taunting the haters to keep going. 

However, he is not fighting at Ypres. Not even metaphorically.

He's a massive bell end.

I really can't stress this enough.

If you're happy to pile into the culture war shite, you can't really complain when you get pulled up about it.

His m.o. is to retweet or say something stupid, get called out for it, then mewl endlessly about it.

Rinse and repeat.

Totally agree with your general point no issue there.
But, knowing how the "Scottish" media works, he has been given the opportunity to gloss over a couple of relatively minor, daft social media faux-pas that would have already been forgotten about, to blame everyone else for it. I believe the youngsters call it "gaslighting".
And is basically taunting the haters to keep going. 
However, he is not fighting at Ypres. Not even metaphorically.

Aye the Ypres point is just fucking daft. He's lost perspective and is lashing out at everyone who's having a pop.

He's a massive bell end.
I really can't stress this enough.
If you're happy to pile into the culture war shite, you can't really complain when you get pulled up about it.
His m.o. is to retweet or say something stupid, get called out for it, then mewl endlessly about it.
Rinse and repeat.
Aye but this is all relatively recently is it not?

He wasn't particularly political or controversial before. He came out as a no voter but was there anything after that?

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Aye but this is all relatively recently is it not?

He wasn't particularly political or controversial before. He came out as a no voter but was there anything after that?

As AD said he's gaslighting. He knows exactly what he's doing.

He's had a nightmare the last 6 months.