General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

"Fears voter ID could disrupt general election": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66788130

14,000 known to have been prevented from voting, with many more turning away once they realised they didn't have the correct ID, primarily from groups such as the unemployed and ethnic minorities (also known as "people less likely to vote for the government").

The correct headline is "voter suppression measures working as planned", and news organisations are running interference by pretending otherwise.

The pro-Zionist scumbags will be upset by this.

Antisemitism definition used by UK universities leading to ‘unreasonable’ accusations 

Report says IHRA definition has led to 40 cases against people and groups – of which 38 were cleared – and is stifling academic freedoms

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/13/antisemitism-definition-used-by-uk-universities-leading-to-unreasonable-accusations

It’s about time that the false equivalency between anti-semitism and anti-Zionism was exposed.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/29/surety-mission-50m-airbase-project-could-pave-way-for-uk-to-host-us-nuclear-weapons

A story that has largely been ignored (probably because the MSM is very pro-war again). It goes without saying that this is a terrible idea. No yank nukes in are country. 

Edited by MazzyStar

6 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/29/surety-mission-50m-airbase-project-could-pave-way-for-uk-to-host-us-nuclear-weapons

A story that has largely been ignored (probably because the MSM is very pro-war again). It goes without saying that this is a terrible idea. No yank nukes in are country. 

Yet, as a Yoon, you support having American-manufactured nuclear missiles in Argyll?

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

Yet, as a Yoon, you support having American-manufactured nuclear missiles in Argyll?

Who said I’m a yoon? Even if I was it doesn’t automatically mean that I’d support having nuclear weapons in Argyll. Anyway none of this has anything to do with the orignal point.  

Swing and a miss champ. 

5 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Who said I’m a yoon? Even if I was it doesn’t automatically mean that I’d support having nuclear weapons in Argyll. Anyway none of this has anything to do with the orignal point.  

Swing and a miss champ. 

My recollection was that you were a Labour supporter. Labour are Yoons, and enthusiastically support Trident (Jackie Baillie, anyone?)

Apologies if my recollection was incorrect.

19 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The pro-Zionist scumbags will be upset by this.

Antisemitism definition used by UK universities leading to ‘unreasonable’ accusations 

Report says IHRA definition has led to 40 cases against people and groups – of which 38 were cleared – and is stifling academic freedoms

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/13/antisemitism-definition-used-by-uk-universities-leading-to-unreasonable-accusations

It’s about time that the false equivalency between anti-semitism and anti-Zionism was exposed.

Some additional context. The 2 which were not cleared were not in fact substantiated, they are yet to be decided. 

Same week that there's been a furore over Rory Stewart being honest about Corbyn's suspension/removal of the whip, with a full court press by the punditry class asking "oh but why was he suspended?!" The answer to this is of course that in a statement condemning antisemitism he made the point that the "crisis" had been largely manufactured by the press and internal opposition.

Not only is this obvious to anyone who has read the Forde report and has a passing acquaintance with the British press, but was also explicitly called out by the much vaunted (and again, for anyone who has actually read it surprisingly sedate) EHRC report as opinion that the Labour party should not penalise members for expressing. 

We've also seen the collapse of another Labour party civil case just before it goes to trial, as obviously no one would like this to ever get anywhere near a courtroom, and John Ware has for the umpteenth time produced a novella about why despite the well documented "interesting" editing and other choices that were made his Panorama documentary was an unimpeachable piece of journalism.

And in a final story for today Labour Right ghoul and self-proclaimed scourge of antisemitism Luke Akehurst was recorded describing a black Jewish labour member as having inner conflict and not celebrating her heritage. It's all going well guys! 

On 29/08/2023 at 08:08, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Not if you were the individual or corporation who was sucking on the PFI teat.  The whole cynical point of PFI was to shuffle costs off the public finances, and whilst it did that in the first instance it kicked the problem down the road by which time the architects would have moved on to their international sinecures.

That was bad enough, but the quality of the 'products' that emerged from PFI was invariably shit, the tab for which will be picked up by Joe Public.

I’m going to be tedious and pedantic, but it wasn’t the costs that were removed from the treasury. The outgoings were probably expected to be a bit higher than public borrowing to fund investment but were fiddled (obviously and knowingly) to look like they were expected to be lower and were actually much higher in practice. 

Two things were meant to be taken out of the national accounts , risk and debt. 

Notionally the contracts did de-risk the government and put any cost overruns onto shareholders.  But any project that looked like it could make a loss could easily be abandoned by shareholders, letting the company go bust. If that happened, no hospital/airport/school and no money back, so government bail outs were almost guaranteed. No actual risk for the PFI firm.

What made Gordon Brown have a throbbing erection was getting the debt off the balance sheet. Which actually did work.

The only problem is that debt in the National accounts and of itself is only a huge economic issue for the doughnuts that work in the press and the bbc.  Replacing debt service payments with pfi rents and services doesn’t in principle change the level of expenditure. 

It was only an accounting trick for spinning economic competence to morons who didn’t know what they were reporting on. And it worked.

(If that wasn’t tedious and pedantic enough) Under new international accounting rules, pfi wouldn’t have made the debt disappear at all. To my mind that demonstrates that it doesn’t have any fundamental underlying benefit other than gaming quirks of the accounting rules.

21 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

My recollection was that you were a Labour supporter. Labour are Yoons, and enthusiastically support Trident (Jackie Baillie, anyone?)

Apologies if my recollection was incorrect.

Labour supporter = Yoon = in favour of trident is one of the most simple minded things I’ve read on this forum, and there’s stiff competition. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Labour supporter = Yoon = in favour of trident is one of the most simple minded things I’ve read on this forum, and there’s stiff competition. 

I'm just taking a lead from another poster who stated that everyone that voted Labour should be considered a Unionist.

I specifically asked "Is it fair to consider a vote for Labour in a Westminster or Holyrood election to be a vote to continue the union, given polling evidence shows that up to 30% of Labour voters would vote "Yes" in Indyref 2?"

@orfc replied ""Basically no, if independence was their main concern they'd vote SNP

Why didn't you step in at that point?

On 13/09/2023 at 10:22, oneteaminglasgow said:

A fucking classic in the genre of ‘saying the quiet bit loud’

These people are absolute vermin, and I would dance on their graves. 

I'm half expecting at this point for these "things" to out themselves as evil Venusians and to begin firing mind control beams from their elongated heads.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

I'm just taking a lead from another poster who stated that everyone that voted Labour should be considered a Unionist.

I specifically asked "Is it fair to consider a vote for Labour in a Westminster or Holyrood election to be a vote to continue the union, given polling evidence shows that up to 30% of Labour voters would vote "Yes" in Indyref 2?"

@orfc replied ""Basically no, if independence was their main concern they'd vote SNP

Why didn't you step in at that point?

Because I haven’t seen that before now. 
It’s clearly bollocks though.