General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 13/09/2023 at 10:22, oneteaminglasgow said:

A fucking classic in the genre of ‘saying the quiet bit loud’

These people are absolute vermin, and I would dance on their graves. 

"Wind your neck in, you fucking clown - the AI deathbots aren't ready to protect us yet"

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66803279

The shadow foreign secretary, David Lammy, has proposed regular meetings between UK and European Union ministers, as part of a major reset of British foreign policy under a Labour government.

While it's encouraging to see Labour steering slightly away from the Tories on Brexit what's in it for the EU?

4 minutes ago, btb said:

While it's encouraging to see Labour steering slightly away from the Tories on Brexit what's in it for the EU?

There’s bound to be a few EU ministers that like British stuff like Branston pickle and monster munch and can’t get it anymore. Dave’s probably just turning up with a holdall full of crisps and swapping them for stroopwafels and jamon Ruffles. 

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

banana on the right side of history for once. What a time to be alive.

Understandable - nobody had told him that Brand was an abuser of women by that point.

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.ab3b4557949a60b7a4013419276bb3b2.png

How very brave of our boys

Britain’s SAS faced allegations that it shot dead nine Afghans while they were sleeping and engaged in a policy of “executing Afghan males of fighting age” between 2010 and 2013, on the first day of a public inquiry into the killing of 80 civilians in Afghanistan.

Oliver Glasgow KC, the counsel to the inquiry, focused on seven deadly operations in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan, including one in February 2011 where only three AK47 assault rifles were recovered after the nine had been killed.

“The central allegation at the heart of this inquiry is stark,” Glasgow told the high court. Raids on family compounds, intended to target Taliban commanders, “were abused by elements within UK special forces”.

They “carried out a policy of executing Afghan males of fighting age in circumstances where they posed no immediate threat or were hors de combat [unable to perform combat duties],” in scenarios where they were vulnerable or said to have suddenly produced a gun or grenade.

The public inquiry, chaired by Lord Justice Haddon-Cave, is expected to take 12 to 18 months to produce an interim report. It marks the start of a process long sought by the victims but was only granted by Conservative ministers after two families took the British government to court.

Secrecy conditions imposed by the inquiry mean large parts of it will be held without the public or press present – and that the identities of any soldiers involved have been redacted, as well as the names of their commanding officers and other members of the SAS and many others in the British military.

Nor will the Ministry of Defence or the inquiry formally acknowledge the involvement of the SAS in Afghanistan, although it has been widely reported, instead describing those involved as members of the UK special forces.

Glasgow also highlighted emails that appeared to indicate there was an effort to brush concerns under the carpet, and scepticism in some quarters that internal reports on the growing number of deadly incidents were not credible.

A legal officer for the SAS said in February 2011 he was concerned about “the recent spate of high EKIA [enemies killed in action] and said: “I get the sense that the way we are writing these up will not bear scrutiny in years to come,” adding that they would be picked up by lawyers “in the inevitable public inquiries”.

Deadly incidents described by Glasgow include:

A night raid on 7 February 2011, when nine Afghan males, including a 14-year-old boy, were killed and three AK47 assault rifles recovered. “We anticipate the evidence from the families will be that they were shot in bed, most likely when asleep,” Glasgow said, and he told the inquiry that the photographs of the bodies suggested Afghans may have been shot at close range. Internal documents and emails obtained by the inquiry show that the SAS said that at the time its soldiers were engaged by small arms fire. The elite unit’s headquarters concluded that no military police investigation was required because “reasonable force in accordance with the law of self-defence” was used.

A night raid on 9 February 2011 where eight Afghans were killed, including four by friendly fire from their own side, the SAS said. Four AK-47s were found in a search of the site after the raid had concluded, while another man was killed when he was sent back into building, only to reappear with a weapon. An email sent the following morning from a chief of staff at the SAS headquarters to a legal colleague, and read out by Glasgow, expressed scepticism as they reviewed the initial reports. “It’s another one of ‘more bodies than weapons. Please review,’ they wrote. However, two days later same chief of staff accepted the “high body count” was justified by the fact that four Afghans were killed as “a result of fratricide”. Several years later, the episode was investigated by the military police, but when the SAS and Afghan armed forces members involved were questioned “all bar one of them was unable to recall” the gunfight, Glasgow said.

A night raid on 16 February 2011 in which four members of one family were killed, including a man called Saddam Hussein. British intelligence said he was a Taliban military commander – but Glasgow told the inquiry that his family had said was “a student in Lashkar Gah and so could not have been an insurgent,” while the other victims were civilians. Two of those were shot dead after allegedly producing a weapon when they asked to assist with the search of the property, prompting one member of the SAS, from another unit, to say the official description of the episodes was not credible, in an email read out by Glasgow to the court. “For what must be the 10th time in the last two weeks,” when an Afghan was sent back “to open the curtains (??) he re-appeared with an AK” they wrote to a colleague. “You couldn’t MAKE IT UP,” they added.

A complaint was raised subsequently by an unnamed international organisation. An email sent in May from a legal officer at SAS headquarters said “the aspiration” was “to ‘nip [the allegation] in the bud’ at the lowest level”.

sarwar.jpg.b577c29900cef5ed4a30729648ccdf53.jpg

"Sarwar makes pitch to independence supporters"

"I don't believe in independence and you aren't getting another referendum but vote for me and look at this massive fleg I've got behind me"

That's a worse pitch than Saughton No 3 after a week's rain, you arsehole. 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

sarwar.jpg.b577c29900cef5ed4a30729648ccdf53.jpg

"Sarwar makes pitch to independence supporters"

"I don't believe in independence and you aren't getting another referendum but vote for me and look at this massive fleg I've got behind me"

That's a worse pitch than Saughton No 3 after a week's rain, you arsehole. 

That's akin to one of the two cheeks calling on all fans of "diddies" to switch allegiance to them as they will never see their own club win a trophy.

Don't know what thread to put this in, but my hometown MP Dr Lisa Cameron (SNP) has just defected to the Tories. I'm absolutely fucking livid at this. She blames the "toxic culture" of the SNP, but just leave and be an independent. Don't join the fucking Tories.

She's a child psychologist who ought to have an understanding of the effects of poverty on the psychological (not to mention physical) wellbeing of children and due to the austerity measures of these arseholes my own neighbourhood (Greenhills) has a 30% child poverty rate.

She was an utter lightweight of an MP, but this is shocking behaviour. I'm really fucking upset by this.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Don't know what thread to put this in, but my hometown MP Dr Lisa Cameron (SNP) has just defected to the Tories. I'm absolutely fucking livid at this. She blames the "toxic culture" of the SNP, but just leave and be an independent. Don't join the fucking Tories.

She's a child psychologist who ought to have an understanding of the effects of poverty on the psychological (not to mention physical) wellbeing of children and due to the austerity measures of these arseholes my own neighbourhood (Greenhills) has a 30% child poverty rate.

She was an utter lightweight of an MP, but this is shocking behaviour. I'm really fucking upset by this.

Absolute example of a 'careerist MP', 

As long as I have the job and the wage I will wear any rosette. Has no principles or integrity.

Wish I could say she the only one but there are dozens of MPs like this and it a sad indictment of modern politics.

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Absolute example of a 'careerist MP', 

As long as I have the job and the wage I will wear any rosette. Has no principles or integrity.

Wish I could say she the only one but there are dozens of MPs like this and it a sad indictment of modern politics.

I get that, I really do, but she canvassed and leafleted in my area. She saw how people were living and I'm sure heard many stories of people using foodbanks etc. She also worked as a child psychologist for the NHS. She knew what the Tories did and didn't care.

Supposedly a practising catholic as well which is always something I found to be at odds with the current Tory party ethos of "whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters can't be harsh enough". 

Truly despicable individual.

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

"I'm in favour of independence, but hate toxic organisations. I think I'll join the Tories".

With that big a shift in her political stance, she will surely be standing down and fighting a by-election?

The idea that you can vote for an SNP MP, then be treated to a Tory one, who suddenly votes along with the Tory whip etc, without a by-election is wild. 

On 12/10/2023 at 18:12, velo army said:

I get that, I really do, but she canvassed and leafleted in my area. She saw how people were living and I'm sure heard many stories of people using foodbanks etc. She also worked as a child psychologist for the NHS. She knew what the Tories did and didn't care.

Supposedly a practising catholic as well which is always something I found to be at odds with the current Tory party ethos of "whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters can't be harsh enough". 

Truly despicable individual.

All that will be recorded for posterity will be that she was responsible for the 2024 Tory margin of loss +1 and if there are to be fewer SNP MP returnees then the BBC will be denied the opportunity to record her seat in that total.

I'm struggling to see a downside.

Also the ability to qualify as a doctor juxtaposed with being so demonstrably thick as to trash one's reputation so thoroughly is quite an achievement.