General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

I see that one of the Yoons has got himself a new dotting account.

I logged in tonight to find 52 notifications on my account - here's a few of themScreenshot2024-02-1418_20_04.thumb.png.8a092782ed290eb4345ef344834c4f73.png

Fifty of the fifty-two were from the same poster, and every one was negative

Bizarrely, all the posts were in the Politics thread, and dated from 2018. Obviously, our Yoon doesn't want the whole of P'n'B to see his dotting spree.

Screenshot2024-02-1418_22_58.png.64c1e3a9135b7117e7e657f0c3cbefb9.png

As you can see, he's not made a post since he joined yesterday, and has only given 50 Helens, all to me.

Do any of our multibanned loser Yoons want to admit to this new alias, or should I just suspect the usual trolls?

Anyway, it all gave me a laugh. Hope he's remembered to use a VPN so the mods can't check his IP address.

😀

Sorry, that's a red from me.  Thems the rules.

49 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Another shrink in the UK economy. 0.3%. 

Officially in recession.

That's the post Brexit boom for you. Difficult to see growth without interest rates coming down but with inflation way more stubborn than predicted it all looks a bit bleak. The fact inflation remained static last month was being spun as a positive is evidence things are not going as hoped or expected. Can Labour fix this ???

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

But British Gas made record profits so it's all good 😬

Ah well! Panic over. Got make sure that the shareholders get their dividends do they can brush the crumbs down under their tables to us peasants.

9 hours ago, doulikefish said:

But British Gas made record profits so it's all good 😬

8 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Ah well! Panic over. Got make sure that the shareholders get their dividends do they can brush the crumbs down under their tables to us peasants.

I see the boss man has said there should be a social tariff to help the poorest pay for energy.  No doubt paid for by hiking up the bills for everyone else rather than any of it coming out of his £4.5m a year salary or any of the profits.

56 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I see the boss man has said there should be a social tariff to help the poorest pay for energy.  No doubt paid for by hiking up the bills for everyone else rather than any of it coming out of his £4.5m a year salary or any of the profits.

Fantastic ploy to divide and conquer.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

I saw that twat on breakfast telly this morning. "Hey I don't set my pay, it's a board that decide what I'm worth" pretty much summed him up. The response was to a Q asking if he felt comfortable earning what he did while 3m households are in fuel poverty.  Total kunt of a man.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

I saw that twat on breakfast telly this morning. "Hey I don't set my pay, it's a board that decide what I'm worth" pretty much summed him up. The response was to a Q asking if he felt comfortable earning what he did while 3m households are in fuel poverty.  Total kunt of a man.

He was doing the “I can’t justify why I get paid so much but it’s not my fault” routine a few weeks back.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Ah but! It isn't anyone's fault, but the pandemic, Ukraine and of course Labour's for crashing the world economy back in 2008.

Conservatives complete Jedburgh council ward clean sweep - BBC News

Following a by-election yesterday all 3 seats in Jedburgh ward (Scottish Borders) are now held by Conservative & Unionist councillors; this appears to be unique situation in Scotland.

Lib Dems did win 3 of 4 seats in Almonds (Edinburgh) and SNP win 3 of 4 in Cumbernauld East (North Lanarkshire) at last election... Lib Dems have held 3 of 4 in Corstorphine & Murrayfield (Edinburgh); Labour held 3 of 4 in Bellshill (NL); and Conservatives held 3 of 4 seats in Mid Galloway & Wigtown West (Dumfries & Galloway) since subsequent by-elections.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Borders being full of Tory bumpkins is well known 

Edit and BTW how the f**k does Jedburgh have 3 seats? That’s incredible when places 4x the size have 4

Officially it's Jedburgh & District:

image.thumb.png.2dd38bfde89f44d7292c8c7e00cd8303.png

It's electorate is actually slightly larger than both Hawick wards... 10 regular wards = 3 seats each and electorates of 7,000-9,100; while Galashiels has 4 seats (11,600).

Certainly slightly odd Jedburgh + both Hawick wards = 9 seats for 21,000 electors while both Berwickshire wards = 6 seats for 18,000 (or that both Berwickshire + Leaderdale have 9 seats but for 27,000).

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Officially it's Jedburgh & District:

image.thumb.png.2dd38bfde89f44d7292c8c7e00cd8303.png

Its electorate is actually slightly larger than both Hawick wards... 10 regular wards = 3 seats each and electorates of 7,000-9,100; while Galashiels has 4 seats (11,600).

It was more in comparison to fife, 15k wards get 4 seats and 10k 3, you don’t split below that cos wtf is the point, why would you split a small town like Hawick ? That makes zero sense

overall the borders council seems way too populated, it could easily loose a third of its members and still be proportional to its population 

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It was more in comparison to fife, 15k wards get 4 seats and 10k 3, you don’t split below that cos wtf is the point, why would you split a small town like Hawick ? That makes zero sense

overall the borders council seems way too populated, it could easily loose a third of its members and still be proportional to its population 

I think rural and island authorities get some extra councillors due to distance/etc.

Hawick is split along river... old parish of Wilton + new parish of Burnfoot on north bank are apart from rest within "Hawick & Denholm".

image.thumb.png.2dbc47861f489230328fd7c179727227.pngimage.png.905ff45fb1fca1058ccd0231856004c9.png

image.png.b8aaf23256352ea3dc348dc6916169fe.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 23/02/2024 at 15:41, parsforlife said:

Borders being full of Tory bumpkins is well known 

Edit and BTW how the f**k does Jedburgh have 3 seats? That’s incredible when places 4x the size have 4

It's not just the Borders that is like that.

Rural Perthshire is full of people who haven't a bean to rub together voting for the Tories - and it's been like that for generations.

I remember my gran telling me that people in Rattray used to take off their hat when the local lord came past saying "There's the Maister". 

There's still a lot of that abhorrent deference by working people in these areas to titled wankers and toffs.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2024 at 14:14, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's not just the Borders that is like that.

Rural Perthshire is full of people who haven't a bean to rub together voting for the Tories - and it's been like that for generations.

I remember my gran telling me that people in Rattray used to take off their hat when the local lord came past saying "There's the Maister". 

There's still a lot of that abhorrent deference by working people in these areas to titled wankers and toffs.

I could never understand how people gave acknowledgement to these titles which in the main are not earned but inherited. I was in Inverary way back and as this little nondescript man passed us in the street I overheard another man address him with," Good Afternoon Your Grace", turned out the grace gadgie was the wee alcoholic Duke of Argyll who probably inherited through a 5th cousin, and anyway these type of people got these titles by all sorts of skulduggery. It's a sad reflection of how the country is embedded in the past.

What a fuckin joke Westminster politics is, a corrupt speaker dressed in frills and garters, a debating chamber which is more like a children's playground with grown people hurling childish insults at each other, committee inquiries which are riddled with lies and liars, a voting system where MPs leave the commons chamber, gather in a hall, and then proceed through a narrow door and be counted so as to define their individual vote.

And then every so often all the ELECTED members have to leave the commons and walk over and stand at the entrance of the UNELECTED Lords chamber to hear the ELECTED governments intended bills being approved read out by an UNELECTED idiot.

The whole shambles belongs in the 17th century.

It is laughable and no wonder the rest of the world laugh at it

Edited by SandyCromarty