Aberdeen v St Johnstone - 27/02/16

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Wotherspoon probably the closest to that, tbh, think it was the Hearts game where he was constantly collecting the ball deep and shuttling it from side to side to try and break them down.

It certainly was. He seemed to grow into that role as the game progressed, and most of the chances we created that day started with him. The only caveat about that is you would lose some of the ingenuity he occasionally displays further up the pitch, but I think you're probably right about him being the most suited of those three. Craig has been giving the ball away persistently, while Lappin generally runs about aimlessly.

We're not building up many decent spells of play or retaining possession effectively. That Hearts game was perhaps the last time we have shown real flashes of earlier form, so maybe Wotherspoon is the man for that position. But he would need to be disciplined on the ball.

Mannus

Fisher, Anderson, Krachunov, Shaughnessy, Scobbie/Easton

Wotherspoon, Craig, Lappin

Maclean, Cummins

Anything to be said for that? Extra man at the back and less likely to be caught short if/when our full backs push on. Potentially more chance of the ball sticking up top as well.

This could be horrendous.

We're literally rolling in it. Steve Brown lights Cubans with £50 notes.

Seriously though, charging a bit less for Kids and having some family deals surely wouldn't lose too much money.

That's what the Family Stand is for.

Mannus

Fisher, Anderson, Krachunov, Shaughnessy, Scobbie/Easton

Wotherspoon, Craig, Lappin

Maclean, Cummins

Anything to be said for that? Extra man at the back and less likely to be caught short if/when our full backs push on. Potentially more chance of the ball sticking up top as well.

This could be horrendous.

The extra man at the back would work in a decent defence but our defenders have been any thing but decent lately. One more nervous body in there might do more damage than good.

Millar is a massive loss for that period of time. We have lost far too many goals recently when our back four have been left horrifically exposed after losing the ball in midfield(see second thistle goal, second Dundee goal). We desperately need another Morris/Millar type player long term.

Some of the potential midfields read horribly but I'd be inclined to say quantity in the absense quality and play three in the middle again.

Aberdeen -2 at 4/1 looks a great price

Can't think of many games that Aberdeen have won by 3 in the last few years and with Hayes out not one I would like to bet on. Also St Johnstone have normally given us a really tough game and I expect the same tomorrow - hopefully St Johnstone team that we played a few weeks ago will mean we have an easy day but I very much doubt that will happen.

Can you expand on this? Looking at your website it appears the family stand gets adults in for £4 less, so £54 for a family of 4 instead of £62. Is that the deal?

You are correct and the Merkland has one of the worst facilities as well. I agree with what St Johnstone has done as it is important to get the next generation of fans through the gate with it as cheap as possible.

Absolutely fully agree with the Saints fans on family pricing at Pittodrie, the deal comparatively is awful. Not encouraging young families to get to the football, particularly set against the backdrop of the struggles of the local economy presently.

With regards to the game, I imagine with Logan being out, we will see Shinnie shifted across to right back and Considine being slotted in at left back. With Jack and Flood back, I suspect we will see at least one of them restored to the team. Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of dropping Craig Storie at all, as I feel he's had a fine run of form. With Hayes out, I imagine Pawlett will replace him, and Church may well drop out for one of Flood or Jack, which would leave a team of: Brown; Shinnie, Taylor, Reynolds, Considine; Jack/Flood, Storie; Pawlett, McLean, McGinn; Rooney.

Saints have a good record against us since promotion and even with one fit central midfielder, will provide a stiff test. MacLean will have his usual excellent game against us.

Reckon this will finish 1-1, MacLean and Rooney exchanging goals.

I look at our options tomorrow and there is a question mark over literally every outfield position. Who can you be certain to start in an exact position? I know injuries are dictating in part but that can't be a healthy situation in February of a season.

Too many decisions for Tommy Wright to make for him to get them all right and on that basis, I can't see us getting anything from this one. The big tactical one is whether, despite being short of midfielders, we can get away with just a central pairing when Millar and Davidson are out? If he doesn't think we can then Cummins struggled to play a lone role on Tuesday but Maclean's lack of mobility can make him easy to play against and in the Motherwell game, we couldn't get the midfield up in support of him.

I'd keep things as settled and simple as we can, other than bringing in Scott Brown, but fear we'll see a reshuffled defence and Fisher in midfield, leading to just as many questions needing answered and decisions made before Thistle visit on Wednesday.

Archived