The Partick Thistle thread

47 minutes ago, Plastic Whistle said:

i.e. that the board wasn't operating on a break-even basis as claimed previously.

He's a clown.

He’s admitted budgeting for break even with a 2nd place finish.

When your cash reserves at the end of 2021-22 are about £330k (down from £620k the previous season), Net Current Assets down from £280k to £80k, and you have no credit facility, and the prize-money difference alone between 2nd and 5th is about £240k, that’s absolute kamikaze budgeting, even assuming everything else goes as planned.

To justify that sort of budgeting assumption there would have to be clear evidence of:

(a) all major non-recurring sources of revenue (ie the Queens Park money) being replaced (probably a six figure sum)

(b) new revenue in excess of last year’s operating losses being brought in (ie more than £200k of new income, plus whatever extra funding went into the player budget compared with last season)

(c) no major new off-field expenditure this season that also didn’t apply last season (oh no we’re in an energy crisis and the roof needed urgently repaired over the summer)

Otherwise you’re betting on more than one away cup tie against an Old Firm side: precisely the sort of thing we were repeatedly told the Club would never do.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Magyar said:

From what I’ve seen - and heard - to date, I think the current ( albeit interim ) Board is acting no differently to the Club’s previous Board.

What would you expect them to be doing differently in the middle of the season? They can’t alter the unrealistic and financially-crippling budget set by Low and her cronies until the summer.

If the finances are as bad as it seems, maybe sticking the management team on gardening leave isn’t the brightest idea, but I don’t think that’s exactly comparable to anything Low did.

4 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

There must be so many outsiders like me who can't get their heads around this whole baffling situation. A 'strategic decision' which hacks off the fans and everyone else, which must have an overwhelmingly negative effect on player morale, and throws a young guy in at the deep end - a young guy who obviously looks up to the manager he's (temporarily?) replacing and is gutted for him? I wouldn't wish this on any club and I really hope yous get this sorted out sooner rather than later. I also feel very sorry for McCall given his long tenure at the club and his expressed desire to hit the 1000-game milestone. Although I know this was nothing to do with the result at Rangers, it must make it even harder to take after you gave such a good account of yourselves and really went at it.

It only seems weird because we played quite well vs Rangers. If we'd been pumped 6-0 at Ibrox off the back off two home losses vs Hamilton and Cove and taking into account the general performances since October including 6 losses on the bounce, then there would have been a lot less noise.

That noise is coming from those who wanted him to stay, whereas last few weeks the noise has been from those who wanted him to go.

I do think Doolan is on a hiding to nothing a bit, if he really tanks that could be his management career over before it's started.

25 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

There must be so many outsiders like me who can't get their heads around this whole baffling situation. A 'strategic decision' which hacks off the fans and everyone else, which must have an overwhelmingly negative effect on player morale, and throws a young guy in at the deep end - a young guy who obviously looks up to the manager he's (temporarily?) replacing and is gutted for him? I wouldn't wish this on any club and I really hope yous get this sorted out sooner rather than later. I also feel very sorry for McCall given his long tenure at the club and his expressed desire to hit the 1000-game milestone. Although I know this was nothing to do with the result at Rangers, it must make it even harder to take after you gave such a good account of yourselves and really went at it.

What's baffling about it? McCall took us as far as he could and our form has been shite. Only the timing of it seemed a little odd.