The Partick Thistle thread

Great result for the ladies - and they played really well, especially in the conditions. Two good goals, but some really good play (and grit) throughout. 

Its poor regardless that they ever thought to make it a Saturday - making fans of both clubs choose between following men’s or women’s teams. Having women’s on Sunday helps grow the game - the final should always have been a Sunday, and for the three reasons already mentioned I hope it’s moved. 

Great result for the women and hopefully they see sense and move to the Sunday.

For the men it looks like our cup run is going to be past playoff opponents so

QF: Ayr

SF: Morton

Final: Inverness

On 19/01/2024 at 13:09, velo army said:

I don't follow it and feel no current desire to do so, but women's football in unquestionably in the ascendency and, as others have pointed out, our lassies are doing fantastically well. I had a look and was surprised to see that the "women's football" part of the forum is so far down, underneath "other sports" and "youth football".

@Div I think there's a case for including the quines fitba in the SPFL thread. I imagine that more people follow it than read Nutmeg and it can surely be regarded as senior football.

The Jags are doing a huge amount to promote the women's team. My cousin is the match announcer (and highly rated chooser of choons) and is never done tweeting about it (his weans are now ultras too) or texting me every time they're playing Aberdeen away.

Anyway, bit o a ramble, but the vibe around the lassies' team is great and the club have got their marketing spot on.

My cousin Vinnie lol

We play Morton the week before the women's cup final. If the cup final isn't moved from the Saturday then a tactical* red card might be an option for Graham 

*two-footing Imrie

Edited by Fuctifano

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

We play Morton the week before the women's cup final. If the cup final isn't moved from the Saturday then a tactical* red card might be an option for Graham 

*two-footing Imrie

Or...we could give him the day off?

Not that Imrie with even more soiled chinos wouldn't be a laugh.

The bigger issue might be that some of the ladies might have work commitments that prevent them getting there. That would be a kick in the guts.

Though, surely your bosses would be a BIT understanding?

18 hours ago, PossilYM said:

1 hour ago, baba douche said:

Or...we could give him the day off?

Not that Imrie with even more soiled chinos wouldn't be a laugh.

The bigger issue might be that some of the ladies might have work commitments that prevent them getting there. That would be a kick in the guts.

Though, surely your bosses would be a BIT understanding?

I think people are taking too much of what BBG says at face value. He's a performative outrage generator at the best of times, which is why opposition fans hate him (and we don't).

When he came out with that pish about lassies with work commitments my first thought was that there must be very few jobs they won't be able to book a day off two months in advance. Even if there's a few coppers or trauma surgeons in there.

It's a load of hot air and makes us and the women's game look decidedly tinpot.

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

I think people are taking too much of what BBG says at face value. He's a performative outrage generator at the best of times, which is why opposition fans hate him (and we don't).

When he came out with that pish about lassies with work commitments my first thought was that there must be very few jobs they won't be able to book a day off two months in advance. Even if there's a few coppers or trauma surgeons in there.

Should be giving the fans the best opportunity to attend both though. 

The fixtures were arranged under the assumption that two Full Time teams or 2 of the “big 3” would be in the final and that didn’t happen. 

it’s an international break so the bigger teams men sides don’t have games. 

the men and women’s team shouldn’t be kicking off at the same time on the same day. Ever. The reserves don’t, the under 18s don’t, etc.

The reason is the club share a number of important resources across all teams such as media, match day staff etc, due to the financial constraints on the club this season. 

Copied from what I posted in the thread on the women's football 

Roger Hannah made a really good point that I hadn't considered. Will the swpl, spfl and sky really want a load of negative press around their showpiece final because some of the thistle women's team are working and their manager is too? I think it'll be moved now

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Except, it’s not just them that has to rearrange things. If their normal day for playing is Sunday, all their family arrangements are set for Sunday. So, their partner who might normally work a Saturday and have Sunday off has to try and get their shift changed as well. Sure, it’s 2 months away, but it’s the football authorities again not looking at the whole picture.

20 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Copied from what I posted in the thread on the women's football 

Roger Hannah made a really good point that I hadn't considered. Will the swpl, spfl and sky really want a load of negative press around their showpiece final because some of the thistle women's team are working and their manager is too? I think it'll be moved now

I don’t think they will care. Sky didn’t even show the score of the game on Sunday.

45 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I don’t think they will care. Sky didn’t even show the score of the game on Sunday.

They absolutely did on sky sports news on Sunday evening, pictures and a reporter there too

If clash is an issue why is the women national cup final to move, not the men regular league game?

Why can't your players get time off for a national final - part-time/am men clubs don't just play Saturdays? (EDIT: indeed exactly the same scenario applies in reverse to the Challenge Cup whose final is invariably on a Sunday and most finals at non-league and amateur level are Friday or Sunday).

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

If clash is an issue why is the women national cup final to move, not the men regular league game?

Why can't your players get time off for a national final - part-time/am men clubs don't just play Saturdays?

I'm guessing here, the women mostly play on a Sunday and will probably already have been accommodated by their employers with respect to allow them to work shifts around this. 

Just now, jaggyness said:

I'm guessing here, the women mostly play on a Sunday and will probably already have been accommodated by their employers with respect to allow them to work shifts around this. 

Mens teams mostly play Saturdays but SPFL + SFA + pyramid authorities would never countenance part-time/amateur clubs saying they couldn't play on other days - let alone so for a cup final.

37 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

They absolutely did on sky sports news on Sunday evening, pictures and a reporter there too

Ok - missed that. But they weren’t running the score on their ticker tape on Sunday or Monday morning.

29 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Why can't your players get time off for a national final - part-time/am men clubs don't just play Saturdays? (EDIT: indeed exactly the same scenario applies in reverse to the Challenge Cup whose final is invariably on a Sunday and most finals at non-league and amateur level are Friday or Sunday).

The issue isn’t just our game - it’s the promotion of the women’s game. Surely, you would want as wide an audience as possible and if there are 14 other SPFL games on not to mention Highland League, Lowland League, Juniors, Amateurs all on at the same time - that’s taking away potential tv audience even if the Arbroath agree to rearrange the Thistle game.

The issue of the availbility of our manager, players, backroom staff and media team is a significant one to us. Personally I would be devestated after having contributed so much to the development of Partick Thistle WFC if Brian wasn't able to lead his players out at the Cup Final in March. 

There is a wider issue though. 

There were over 600 at the semi-final on Sunday, with just under 100 Hibs fans, for a fixture played during a weather warning. 

When we reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup a couple of seasons back the two games were played back to back on the same Sunday afternoon at the Falkirk Stadium. The four competiting teams were Hearts, Celtic, Glasgow City and Partick Thistle. Of the four the team with the biggest support was Thistle, and significantly bigger. 

Interest in PTWFC has never been greater. If no clash then it would be a major shock if there wasn't a big Thistle support at the Final at Tynecastle.

A big, noisy Thistle support at the Sky Sports Cup Final would greatly enhance a showcase event for the women's game in Scotland played live on TV. A sparsely filled Thistle section would not.  It would devalue the spectacle. That does the women's game in Scotland no good at all. 

When the SWPL confirmed the venue for the Final as being Tynecastle back in November they listed the date as either Saturday March 23rd OR Sunday March 24th. 

Moving this game to the Sunday, the traditional day for football in the women's game in Scotland, would maximise attendance and enhance the overall occasion. I'm, cautiously, optmistic that with all stakeholders working together that there will be a satisfactory resolution to this issue. 

Edited by John MacLean

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Except, it’s not just them that has to rearrange things. If their normal day for playing is Sunday, all their family arrangements are set for Sunday. So, their partner who might normally work a Saturday and have Sunday off has to try and get their shift changed as well. Sure, it’s 2 months away, but it’s the football authorities again not looking at the whole picture.

What? 

If Alloa or Arbroath get to the Challenge Cup final is there a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth because wives and partners have to rearrange their lives for a day?

As I said, there's absolutely no way that these lassies will be unable to get time off from their Saturday jobs. It's a pile of nonsense for BBG to bring that up. 

It's mildly unfortunate, but no more than that. Arbroath won't agree to play on the Friday as they've already lost out on a decent away crowd (I think) by having their match with Dundee Utd rearranged on pretty spurious grounds.

Graham is playing mind games, creating a siege mentality and persecution complex around the team which is honestly fair play as they need every advantage they can create against whichever cheek they play, but we shouldn't get sucked into it.