The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

I am just trying to figure out how they are talking of losses of circa 3 million this season, I mean how? WTF are they spending it on....

The figure I heard was 4m. I don't have any understanding of football finances, but the chat from the Caley fans seems to be that the owners were utter sheisters. 

Having to find £220,000 this week alone sounds like a huge ask.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

Reading about the Shakespearean tragedy unfolding in the Highlands and the amounts of debt involved.

I was in my teens when the Save The Jags campaign started but I remember how it pretty much exploded with fundraising events and all sorts. This was.pre-internet too.

I'm just reflecting on how great an effort that was for such a small club (us, not the teuchter Frankenstein outfit) to pull itself back from the brink.

I'd actually love to read a retrospective of that period to get a better understanding of the severity of the debt and how the f**k we got out of it. I remember getting relegated to Div2 and essentially thinking that this was it for us.

Green dot for teuchter Frankenstein outfit.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

The figure I heard was 4m.

I think the £3.8m is total debt accumulated over years, not what they've lost this season. £1.2m is what they need to get them to the end of this season, unless the battery farm planning permission goes through.

Gutted we are wearing this away top at firhill in a home league game.

dunno what it is but the last few seasons it feels like away top has been a total voodoo for results. 3rd top even worse.

not sure why we would wear it in any case. If the kits clash then surely a Livvy problem?

10 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Gutted we are wearing this away top at firhill in a home league game.

dunno what it is but the last few seasons it feels like away top has been a total voodoo for results. 3rd top even worse.

not sure why we would wear it in any case. If the kits clash then surely a Livvy problem?

If I had to guess, it’s because both their home and away kits clash with our home kit.

And it’s also possible (though I genuinely don’t know and am guessing here) that our merch deal might stipulate that the away kit is worn a minimum number of times. So makes more sense to wear it when there’s a risk of a kit clash even if it’s a home fixture.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we end up wearing the away kit at least 4 times against Livi this season, home and away, for one or both of the above reasons.

Slightly odd one 😂

Ive won a prize on the PTFC Lotto recently, waiting for it to appear on the OS before I try to claim it, not the jackpot so im in no huge rush tbf.

Anyone know if I need to do anything to actually claim it? Not sure if I need to keep an eye in my junk folder, if it gets posted out to me, if I need to arrange to collect from the stadium at a home game etc.

Not griping, actually just chuffed I've won something as my luck with e.g. the odd tenner on the health lottery on payday is laughably bad! I should in all likelihood have paid attention to t's and c's when I signed up but as per my rank luck I was expecting to win nada at all, so its still a nice pleasant surprise/novelty.

Ill contact the club at some point, filing it as just one of many of lifes little tasks im putting it off doing for as long as humanly possible.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Slightly odd one 😂

Ive won a prize on the PTFC Lotto recently, waiting for it to appear on the OS before I try to claim it, not the jackpot so im in no huge rush tbf.

Anyone know if I need to do anything to actually claim it? Not sure if I need to keep an eye in my junk folder, if it gets posted out to me, if I need to arrange to collect from the stadium at a home game etc.

Not griping, actually just chuffed I've won something as my luck with e.g. the odd tenner on the health lottery on payday is laughably bad! I should in all likelihood have paid attention to t's and c's when I signed up but as per my rank luck I was expecting to win nada at all, so its still a nice pleasant surprise/novelty.

Ill contact the club at some point, filing it as just one of many of lifes little tasks im putting it off doing for as long as humanly possible.

I'd assume it would get paid to the card you set up the payment on. 

Absolute scenes at Peasy as Partick Thistle eliminate the Scottish Cup holders! What. A. Result.

Our top level youth class of '24 mark the 75th Scottish Cup match with the club's best-ever result in the competition, knocking out the holders for the first-time ever! Last knocked out Rangers in 1991 and ran to the semi finals…

Partick Thistle in the Scottish Youth Cup →

GZn9Kv2XAAYchvH.jpeg

First round/quarter gone. 2 wins from 9 is pretty dire, especially when one of those was still a dismal game and largely thanks to Mehmet letting a shot straight through him...

Trying to look at positives - Milne has, generally, been back to fitness, Megwa had a great debut and we aren't chucking too many soft goals away/I dont think we're weak defensively. Roberts has been great, few clean sheets for him and well merited MotM today. Great to see Graham score in the league again, think he vented a bit of frustration out when he scored too, was visibly relieved/overjoyed.

O'Reilly and Ashcroft with Muirhead/McBeth filling in for injury/suspension should be fine for centre back pairing tbh (hope Ashcroft only went off as a precaution). Milne and Megwa are fine as full backs, its... everything else thats a bit of a headache. e.g. Turner was poor today, Robinson isnt fully fit by the looks of it either. We dont look confident enough to play out and progress through midfield, but at the same time we arent getting much joy trying to pick up scraps from hoofball either, Falkirk were picking up most of the 2nd balls today comfortably.

McKay and Lawless being out has hit us, Lawless especially, so perhaps its all been a bit square pegs in round holes from Doolan thus far. Theres got to be a starting eleven that can consistently play better than we have been, surely.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

The big positive has obviously been the defence, and Doolan is right to talk about a balance between solid defence and a solid attack being the key to success but unfortunately we have not this season (at any point really) shown a solid attack and the weekly 'if we just click' stuff post-match is a bit repetitive and tiresome. He's correct in his assessment today about confidence though, it is the best and worst thing in football IMO especially at our level where teams are much of a muchness. Bottom line is the start to the season hasn't been at all good enough both in results and performances. Hopefully Doolan turns it around but each week I'm less confident of his ability to do that. I think only getting 2 points out of 6 so far in the triple-header at home is also quite disappointing although I note we have a decent home unbeaten record going. 

I said before the Livi game, we needed four points minimum from the next two games, or I’d want Doolan out. Two points is nowhere near good enough, and the performances haven’t improved. I can’t see any justification from the board to stick with him if we lose at home to Airdrie next week. 

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

I said before the Livi game, we needed four points minimum from the next two games, or I’d want Doolan out. Two points is nowhere near good enough, and the performances haven’t improved. I can’t see any justification from the board to stick with him if we lose at home to Airdrie next week. 

The only justification I can see is that Lawless is injured as are all his replacements.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

The only justification I can see is that Lawless is injured as are all his replacements.

Unfortunately I don’t think the Lawless injury can anywhere near completely describe what a dire run of performances we have put in. Every team has injuries- Falkirk have more than us and key players injured too.  Something like five yesterday alone -,guys like Ethan Ross etc who have been on fire for them.  Ayr United have a number of injuries too. Plus we have had a bigger budget than these 2.  

Unfotunately there’s no guarantee that when Lawless is able to return he will be the same brilliant standard as before his injury although it will be a boost to have him back. 

9 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Unfortunately I don’t think the Lawless injury can anywhere near completely describe what a dire run of performances we have put in. Every team has injuries- Falkirk have more than us and key players injured too.  Something like five yesterday alone -,guys like Ethan Ross etc who have been on fire for them.  Ayr United have a number of injuries too. Plus we have had a bigger budget than these 2.  

Unfotunately there’s no guarantee that when Lawless is able to return he will be the same brilliant standard as before his injury although it will be a boost to have him back. 

This. It just isn't happening gor Doolan. And if we are waiting for Lawless to improve our fortunes, what does that say about the squad he has at his disposal?

Time is up. We need fresh thinking.

7 minutes ago, third lanark said:

What I am saying is that Lawless, Mackay and Ablade being injured is the only justification that I think the Board can have for not moving Doolan on if we don’t beat Airdrie. However, I do think that if Lawless had been fit, we would probably have not had the dire run we have had. Whether he can do it when he comes back is another question altogether. 
I think you must mean someone other than Ethan Ross being injured for Falkirk, as he scored.

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

This. It just isn't happening gor Doolan. And if we are waiting for Lawless to improve our fortunes, what does that say about the squad he has at his disposal?

Time is up. We need fresh thinking.

The thing is, I can easily see the board justifying keeping Doolan on board. I don’t think he has had anything like a full squad to pick from in the whole of the 1st quarter. I  am just hoping that that is our duff quarter done for the season. Probably need to be winning 17 or 18 points per quarter to get back in contention.

3 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

The justification that I can see where the Board will stick with him, is that how can we afford to sack him, bearing in mind the Board’s projected losses.

I want Kris to succeed, but will the Board accept that 2 wins out of 9 and 10 points from 27 is acceptable with the  squad they’ve allowed him to assemble? If they don’t where’s the money coming from if he is replaced? 

A decline in Jags fans attending Firhill ( due to recent performances) would just exasperate this concern.

Not losing to the three form teams in the league recently has certainly helped his cause. The biggest thing for me was the accies defeat and the 0-0 against Morton on the first day.

Win the next 2 and things might start to look brighter but we all know it’s not as easy as that and sadly I think his time will be up before November.

Part of me is thinking it’s all scripted for the big documentary and we will go on and skoosh the league.

7 minutes ago, Maine said:

Not losing to the three form teams in the league recently has certainly helped his cause. The biggest thing for me was the accies defeat and the 0-0 against Morton on the first day.

Win the next 2 and things might start to look brighter but we all know it’s not as easy as that and sadly I think his time will be up before November.

Part of me is thinking it’s all scripted for the big documentary and we will go on and skoosh the league.

I think we need to look beyond results, unfortunately. This season hasn't been some hard luck story where we're playing well but just not taking our chances or having small things go against us. We have no discernible style of play, we create f**k all and we have a bunch of players playing well below the level we know they're capable of.

Positive results against Airdrie and Queen's Park would just be papering over the cracks, really. Unless they are accompanied by some kind of sign that we've really turned a corner and look like a real football team again.