The Partick Thistle thread

The women’s team deserve a chance to play at Firhill, it’ll hopefully encourage a few along to see the women’s team first hand for the first time*, and it’ll maybe get a couple of people invested in Thistle for the first time who turn into regular fans of both sides. Not really seeing a downside. 

*I say that as someone who’s never been to a women’s game, largely as I live in Edinburgh and the travel costs to come through both days are too much for me.

On 23/10/2023 at 19:49, chattyman said:

Brilliant idea, let's wreck the firhill surface for the first team all in aid of ticking boxes yawn!

I'm sure there are dark corners of the web for kunts like you to gather and howl at the moon as one about the oppression of the white man.

But kindly f**k off from this thread, this forum and this club. Thistle nor Pie and Bovril need this sort of sexist shite.

20 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Getting a PTWFC match staged at Firhill has been on the agenda for a few seasons now, we're actually one of the few SWPL1 sides that play their matches away from the main club stadium not to have switched a game(s) in recent seasons.

Rangers, Celtic, Hibs (we played Hibs at Easter Road a couple of seasons back), Hearts (we played Hearts at Tynecastle too pre Covid), Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United have all switched games in recent seasons. 

For a whole host of reasons it hasn't been possible until now. You need to fit round the men's team schedule for example and you also want to make sure that you pick the right type of fixture. 

It's all about showcasing the women's team to a wider audience, and it's a real thrill to finally get this scheduled. 

The progress on the pitch is fairly well documented. From playing essentially little mare than recreational, park football to the topflight, and top six, in less than 10 years is a remarkable journey. The professioinalism of players and coaching staff is fantastic. Training three nights a week, it's semi-pro football in all but salary. 

The progress off the pitch has been fantastic too. From being watched by little more than family and friends and attendances numbered in dozens rather than hundreds there has grown a vibrant, passionate support at Petershill Park. I've not met anyone yet that hasn't come along to one of our games and not enjoyed it. It's different, but the thrill of winning is just the same. 

I think the girls deserve the opportunity to showcase what they are about at Firhill. Ticket 'sales' have been brilliant in the less than 24 hours since the annoucment. I don't think it is in doubt that this game will attract a record attendance for the women's team, it's just a case of by how much the record will be smashed by. 

It's Free. It should be a cracking game too. Why not come along and see what it's all about for yourself?

No doubt they deserve a game at Firhill. I am just not sure that November is the time to play it. 

43 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

No doubt they deserve a game at Firhill. I am just not sure that November is the time to play it. 

We only have one scheduled home game in November and a potential cup game at the end of the month. When would be better?

My cousin is the stadium announcer for the quines' team so he's absolutely thrilled to bits.

I personally hope they play in slippers as I have zero faith in the integrity of our pitch though. As @John MacLean said above, the support for that team is fantastic (apologies for my wee cousin and his megaphone 😂) so it should be a brilliant occasion. Great idea to make it free.

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

We only have one scheduled home game in November and a potential cup game at the end of the month. When would be better?

Sometime when the pitch gets a chance to recover. From November to February the grass isn’t growing. Anytime outwith those months would be my suggestion.

Just now, jagsfan57 said:

Sometime when the pitch gets a chance to recover. From November to February the grass isn’t growing. Anytime outwith those months would be my suggestion.

Three games in a month on our relayed surface shouldnt be a concern, imo.

One of my best pals from school is a groundsman at a Premiership club and he said that the women's games have very little impact on the pitch. It's apparently similar to a youth team game rather than a first team, and the surface requires a lot less maintenance compared to after a men's first team game.

Always thought that was quite interesting, but never really had anyone to share it with. So this seems like the perfect time and place.

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

One of my best pals from school is a groundsman at a Premiership club and he said that the women's games have very little impact on the pitch. It's apparently similar to a youth team game rather than a first team, and the surface requires a lot less maintenance compared to after a men's first team game.

Always thought that was quite interesting, but never really had anyone to share it with. So this seems like the perfect time and place.

Get the women to aerate in between the mens games brilliant idea.

The team are doing well again this season and competing for a consecutive top six finish. They’re playing an Accies side who haven’t won a game. Seems like a great time to play at Firhill whilst there’s a hype and what should be a comfortable win.

I see they have exceeded the crowd of the previous game already, though doesn’t guarantee that on the day. Fair play!

40 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

You guys and this topic is truly why football in Scotland is Fucked. FFS GET A GRIP. 

15 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Get the women to aerate in between the mens games brilliant idea.

13 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Saturdays are for football ? Get the game on. I think you belong going to EPL matches.

Genuinely, what on earth are you on about? 

Great to see the tickets are doing well, and will be a record crowd. The Women (and Brian) have been doing fantastically well representing the club over the past few years. 

Find it strange any Thistle fan would actually be upset over this, find it even more strange that an Annan Athletic fan would be on here greetin’ about it, but there you go. 

On 24/10/2023 at 11:19, oneteaminglasgow said:

*I say that as someone who’s never been to a women’s game, largely as I live in Edinburgh and the travel costs to come through both days are too much for me.

they would be playing Spartans, Hibs and Hearts away from home this season.

Firhill hosted the Scottish Women's Cup Final about 6 years ago.