The Partick Thistle thread

Does the domestic loan window stay open for another month for lower league clubs or is that just the summer window? 

Half expected us to make a Jason Banton / Antonio German style signing today of a winger from England. Probably not now though. 

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Hmm, could (still) really use a winger and a solid holding midfielder.

Think McBeth is the latter, yes it's a big jump from the 6th tier but if we weren't planning to use him a fair bit this season I'm sure we'd have put him out on loan. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Does the domestic loan window stay open for another month for lower league clubs or is that just the summer window? 

Half expected us to make a Jason Banton / Antonio German style signing today of a winger from England. Probably not now though. 

Think McBeth is the latter, yes it's a big jump from the 6th tier but if we weren't planning to use him a fair bit this season I'm sure we'd have put him out on loan. 

Yes we can get a loan or loan out till end of February 

I wonder if the plan is just for Zander to cover the wide areas. I did expect us to sign some low key winger to replace Wes McDonald. Hopefully neither Fitzpatrick or Lawless get injured. Guessing James Lyon could still go out on loan.

13 minutes ago, Mike the Magyar said:

Doolan’s subs: shades of the play offs in Dingwall. Same mistakes at the same time in the game. 

Literally the opposite IMO. In Dingwall we made 2 of the 6 subs available to us in 120 minutes as either he didn't trust the guys on the bench (Dowds, Smith etc) or in ET he was wanting to keep the penalty takers on the pitch, and guys were out on their feet.

Today we subbed off Graham and Lawless at 2-0 and their replacements were probably our worst two players and the subs after that ended up with loads of folk out of position. We took off all our penalty takers (Graham, Muirhead, Lawless) and then didn't make it to penalties anyway.

He got it wrong in both games, that's for sure.

Edited by Fuctifano

Also think today showed we should have signed another winger. The loan market is still open but slim pickings. Maybe Fraser Murray at Killie? He's got GMS, Greg Stewart, Armstrong, and Kennedy ahead of him. He's not brilliant but got to be better than an out of position Ngwenya or Diack there?

The substitutions of Graham and Lawless seemed a bit odd at the time (but you don’t really question stuff like that when you’re 2 nil up), in hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision, at least Doolan acknowledges that. Agree re the need for another winger to cover for Fitzpatrick and Lawless. Can’t fault the team’s effort today but didn’t make it any less gutting, especially after that really good first half showing, good feel about Firhill for most of the game too. 

30 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Literally the opposite IMO. In Dingwall we made 2 of the 6 subs available to us in 120 minutes as either he didn't trust the guys on the bench (Dowds, Smith etc) or in ET he was wanting to keep the penalty takers on the pitch, and guys were out on their feet.

Today we subbed off Graham and Lawless at 2-0 and their replacements were probably our worst two players and the subs after that ended up with loads of folk out of position. We took off all our penalty takers (Graham, Muirhead, Lawless) and then didn't make it to penalties anyway.

He got it wrong in both games, that's for sure.

I won’t disagree but at what time of the game did he use his subs in relation to how we were playing and wasn’t it recognised that we collapsed afterwards? I thought at the time that they were needless/panic subs. 

Or is my memory already deceiving me? 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

The substitutions of Graham and Lawless seemed a bit odd at the time (but you don’t really question stuff like that when you’re 2 nil up), in hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision, at least Doolan acknowledges that. Agree re the need for another winger to cover for Fitzpatrick and Lawless. Can’t fault the team’s effort today but didn’t make it any less gutting, especially after that really good first half showing, good feel about Firhill for most of the game too. 

Those subs were actually getting made at 1-0, they were getting ready to go before Fitzpatrick scored.

Maybe one for the Thistle Archive & idk if its too hard to pull, plus it was a cup game - how often have we gone at least a goal up in a game over the last decade and not seen it out to draw/lose vs. how often have we gone at least a goal down and turned it around to draw/win? Feels like the former happens an awfy lot more than the latter.

County playoffs, yesterday, the two 90+5 debacles against Rangers in the same season that i thought i was over but no, still got footballing PTSD from it, losing 2-1 to Dundee/Hamilton back to back, losing 4-3 away to Motherwell from 3-2 up...

Conversely the most memorable comeback coming to mind is the Christie Elliot Airdrie game after we'd already (edit; more or less) won the league.

Edit: 4-3 Raith game this season we lost, too.

Had a wee google and seen this, think i mind the game, another previous shitshow against County.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17456066.steven-anderson-accuses-partick-thistle-showing-soft-touch/

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

9 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Maybe one for the Thistle Archive & idk if its too hard to pull, plus it was a cup game - how often have we gone at least a goal up in a game over the last decade and not seen it out to draw/lose vs. how often have we gone at least a goal down and turned it around to draw/win? Feels like the former happens an awfy lot more than the latter.

County playoffs, yesterday, the two 90+5 debacles against Rangers in the same season that i thought i was over but no, still got footballing PTSD from it, losing 2-1 to Dundee/Hamilton back to back, losing 4-3 away to Motherwell from 3-2 up...

Conversely the most memorable comeback coming to mind is the Christie Elliot Airdrie game after we'd already won the league.

Edit: 4-3 Raith game this season we lost, too.

We hadn't already won the league when we came back to beat Airdrie 2-1. Are you maybe thinking of the last home game of that season, when we came back from 3-1 down against Dunfermline to draw 3-3 to put them in the play off place (and they were ultimately relegated).

Edited by Jgs

7 minutes ago, Jgs said:

We hadn't already won the league when we came back to beat Airdrie 2-1. Are you maybe thinking of the last game of that season, when we came back from 3-1 down against Dunfermline to draw 3-3 to put them in the play off place on the final day (and they were ultimately relegated).

Nope, had it in my head we were already champions by the Airdrie game. Do remember that 3-3 though, that was cracking tbf.

Going to go and read up on our last few games that season as a palatte cleanser.

Edit: ahh, the Airdrie game was the one right after James Craigen Day, thats why. Felt like the league was won after that but aye, wasnt sealed til we beat Falkirk and iirc Morton fell apart completely for their last few games after we beat them.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely