The Partick Thistle thread

38 minutes ago, Maine said:

The only criticism I have of Doolan is his refusal to substitute Brian Graham, he can barely handle 60 minutes on a normal day let alone 23 degrees.

I can understand the frustration with no big hitter in the championship this season but I don’t quite understand the calls for McCabe at Airdrie, he’s also a young manager who makes mistakes and frankly can’t even get the better of Ayr, even last season when they were bang average.

Mind Doolan has only done about two seasons in management. Give it a rest, he will make mistakes and has shown that he can learn from them and turn things around.

Edited to add: Did anyone hear that big negative guy in the John Lambie who was spluttering and shouting as soon as we went 1 up.

Chalmers controlled a ball perfectly out of the sky and still got berated. 

While everything you say is pretty spot on, there’s probably a concern for me that this isn’t the level Doolan should be learning from mistakes.

its a pivotal season for the club both on and off pitch. If we goose this, we are probably in deep sh1t if the financial statement is to be believed. In terms of missing out on prize money and increased future revenue.

I am not really an advocate for letting Doolan go but how far deep into this do we get before things take a turn for the better?

I got the impression yesterday that we were watching a team devoid of strong leadership, with nothing to respond to. Doolan mentioned after the game that we lost our shape. Okay, so how did you mitigate that at the time? The answer is nothing.

Everything about him screams that he is too soft for the job. 

I don’t see how or why Graham would be the magic answer to all of this, he’s part of the senior leadership in this squad as it is and clearly not doing a good job of it considering some of the disclipine and professional issues we have going on right in front of our eyes. For example Robinson not even bothering to go for the ball but instead deciding to try and break a players leg. And he’s another one who is supposed to be a leader.  

As several others have said already, we have been slow, ponderous and absolutely predictable in every game I've been to this season. It's like watching the team in Archie's relegation season.

Like most thistle fans, I want doolan to be successful but with every passing week he seems less likely to change the pattern of playing or results. On paper we should be doing so much better, so for me, he has to the end of the first 1/4 and if no improvement we have to make a change before we become a relegation candidate. 

And please directors, not Graham. New blood please if it comes to it.

We’re a different team without Robinson. We’ve got no one else that links the midfield with Graham, and is generally a nuisance, like him. Having Bannigan and Turner in midfield only works if there’s energy in front of them. It’s frustrating that he’s made of glass. 

8 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The only mitigation I would offer for Chalmers is that he’s had a centre half and a guy playing his first couple of games of proper football behind him. Wasiri, as much as he tried his best, didn’t offer him a great deal of support.

Even with that though, he’s been largely poor. 

Chalmers played all of last season with either Elicha Ahui (arguably the worst right back Ayr have had) or Nick McAllister (arguably the second worst right back Ayr have had). 

I exaggerate of course but he had no support last season and quite often did something positive in a game. That all stopped after Brown came in and realised he was nowhere near suited to how he wanted his team to play. I suspect we didn’t really make an outstanding offer to him in the summer as we knew Jay Henderson was coming in. It’s worked out quite well for us so far. 

4 hours ago, Maine said:

Edited to add: Did anyone hear that big negative guy in the John Lambie who was spluttering and shouting as soon as we went 1 up. 

He was dreadful. Repeatedly screaming about Alloa being part time.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

He had an amazing meltdown just before half-time when we were 1-0 up. Screaming at Doolan to ‘motivate the players’.

17 hours ago, Nightmare said:

That's clearly not the difference maker it was in the past.

Most part-time teams these days are very fit, able to more than compete for a full ninety minutes. Certainly we (Alloa) are and have been for quite a while now.

Also, part-time sides are well aware of the importance of shape and are organised

Clearly there are still advantages to being full time, but they depend e.g. on how effectively the extra training/preparation time is used.

In any case being full-time isn't the clear advantage over part-time it used to be.

29 minutes ago, printer said:

Most part-time teams these days are very fit, able to more than compete for a full ninety minutes. Certainly we (Alloa) are and have been for quite a while now.

Also, part-time sides are well aware of the importance of shape and are organised

Clearly there are still advantages to being full time, but they depend e.g. on how effectively the extra training/preparation time is used.

In any case being full-time isn't the clear advantage over part-time it used to be.

It certainly wasn’t a difference in this game for sure with Alloa being far far fitter than we were and seemingly more motivated 

On 09/09/2024 at 13:33, printer said:

Indeed, Arbroath schooled us a few times in the past three seasons or so

On 08/09/2024 at 20:04, Nightmare said:

He does have a point to be fair, we have been pretty poor this season, 1 win against a poor Queens Park in the league, now gubbed at home by Alloa,  I am dreading Anton Dowds banging a hat trick in on Saturday.

32 minutes ago, Jim Hughes said:

He does have a point to be fair, we have been pretty poor this season, 1 win against a poor Queens Park in the league, now gubbed at home by Alloa,  I am dreading Anton Dowds banging a hat trick in on Saturday.

He was screaming into the abyss even when we were winning.

Just because the team deserves criticised at this point, doesn’t mean that this howling goon was right in either the content of what he was saying or the context in which he said it.

13 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Just because the team deserves criticised at this point, doesn’t mean that this howling goon was right in either the content of what he was saying or the context in which he said it.

Howling Goon ? If he did make some valid points, and just said things quietly then Doolan and the players would never hear him. Should we just e-mail our concerns ?

Edited by Jim Hughes

13 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Could just be the Swally talking....it happens sometimes at Fitba. 

4 hours ago, Jim Hughes said:

Howling Goon ? If he did make some valid points, and just said things quietly then Doolan and the players would never hear him. Should we just e-mail our concerns ?

He'd have been as well sending an email, tbh, because screaming mindlessly at a manager from 75 yards away is a complete waste of time and effort; 1) because he's never going to hear you anyway, and 2) even if he did, he's not suddenly going to think "oh yeah, I didn't even realise Alloa are part-time, let me re-evaluate my entire gameplan."

We were shite on Saturday. We've been poor for a lot of the season. Neither of those points are debatable. But embarrassing yourself by getting so red in the face that you're close to a coronary over a Challenge Cup game is a pointless endeavour.

After getting cup games moved to early kick offs in the past I'd have thought they might have made it even an hour earlier as other than people who live near Firhill or are going to the pub you'll miss at least some of the Scotland game if you're wanting to see both.

I'll be in Zagreb so it makes no real difference to me other than it's losing a game on the season ticket as I'd have made the midweek game.

Mmm. I'm surprised they didn't bring forward the kickoff to say 1pm or even 2pm.

We also seem to have a fair amount of Scotland fans who travel to support the national team.

I'm probably just moaning for the sake of it, as bottom line we should have a better attendance than a Tuesday later in the month. Might even do a hospitality package although the news article seems to be bigging up the Aitken Suite.

Even removing the Thistle and Falkirk fans who won't make it because they're out at the game in Croatia, we'll probably still see a comfortably higher attendance on the Saturday than we would have if the game was on the Tuesday night, so I think it's probably a good decision from the club.

Fully agree that they probably should have made the kickoff earlier so that people can make it home or to wherever they're watching the Scotland game. Giving people about 10 minutes means unless you're watching it in one of the nearby pubs, you'll miss some of the game.