The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Here's a few words for those Thistle posters out there who are on the verge of hanging themselves after reading the last few pages of soul-destroying negativity:
Bannigan may well get fit again and show himself as one of the best midfielders in the division. It's a possibility.

Quitongo might stay fit long enough to for us to see one of the best attacking talents in the division. It's a possibility.

Scobbie may turn out to be exactly what we need to steady the defence. It's a possibility.

Coolibaly may well escape from the Cairo prison cell in which he is currently having the soles of his feet beaten by the guards in time to bang in twenty goals by Christmas. It's a possibility.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is likely but surely it's worth considering before posting something else designed to suck all the joy out of the lives of your fellow Thistle fans?

Sorry Walter, those of us who bought season tickets were conned.

I think you're being a bit melodramatic. I bought a season ticket too. I wasn't conned, I took a punt like I do every year hoping that it will be worthwhile. Being disappointed isn't the same as being conned.

11 minutes ago, Walter said:
23 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

I think you're being a bit melodramatic. I bought a season ticket too. I wasn't conned, I took a punt like I do every year hoping that it will be worthwhile. Being disappointed isn't the same as being conned.

The signs were all there last season, if not before. We can still look forward to the outpourings of adulation and songs for the club's favourite manager as he takes us to the playoffs - against Alloa Athletic, Raith Rovers, etc.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Here's a few words for those Thistle posters out there who are on the verge of hanging themselves after reading the last few pages of soul-destroying negativity:
Bannigan may well get fit again and show himself as one of the best midfielders in the division. It's a possibility.

Quitongo might stay fit long enough to for us to see one of the best attacking talents in the division. It's a possibility.

Scobbie may turn out to be exactly what we need to steady the defence. It's a possibility.

Coolibaly may well escape from the Cairo prison cell in which he is currently having the soles of his feet beaten by the guards in time to bang in twenty goals by Christmas. It's a possibility.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is likely but surely it's worth considering before posting something else designed to suck all the joy out of the lives of your fellow Thistle fans?

Could you not volunteer to write the club's official announcements? At least we'd get a laugh.

For anyone saying not to be negative at what point would you say negativity is acceptable?

I'd argue being shite for 18 months followed by a shambles of a window where the striker we signed isn't eligible to play, we're still giving deals to Bannigan in hope of him being fit 2 and a half years after he first suffered it and relying on a kid from Dundee and Tam Scobbie to shore up our defence is pretty much the exact time where negativity is warranted.

Even a win today would just be papering over the cracks of some major problems at Firhill.

Great to see Banzo back doing simple things that haven't been getting done since he's been out.

Decent second half and we looked very comfortable towards the end which is a pleasant change.

7 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Great to see Banzo back doing simple things that haven't been getting done since he's been out.

Decent second half and we looked very comfortable towards the end which is a pleasant change.

It was almost a reverse of most of our performances for about 3 years now. Instead of starting strongly and ending up completely under the cosh, we grew into the game and were under absolutely no threat whatsoever at the end. Pleasing.

Keown and McGinty a surprisingly strong partnership, Ntambwe bossing c***s about, Slater and Bannigan tidy as f**k in the middle, Erskine with another goal. There are still worries with this squad, but that was a very decent performance today.

Gutted for Doolan, though. But for sheer incompetence, he'd have broken his goalless run.

I thought that McGinty had an excellent game yesterday, Ntambwe  probably could have been booked for any of his first six fouls but seemed to up his pace and confidence as the game went on. I thought that he had an excellent debut considering that he had not had a lot of game time.

I wonder if he realised that the massive round of applause when he went off was more for Banzo coming on?  

23 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I thought that McGinty had an excellent game yesterday, Ntambwe  probably could have been booked for any of his first six fouls but seemed to up his pace and confidence as the game went on. I thought that he had an excellent debut considering that he had not had a lot of game time.

I wonder if he realised that the massive round of applause when he went off was more for Banzo coming on?  

To be fair I think there was a fair bit of applause for Brice as well - I stood up and was applauding both as I thought he had a very impressive debut

33 minutes ago, third lanark said:

To be fair I think there was a fair bit of applause for Brice as well - I stood up and was applauding both as I thought he had a very impressive debut

It was only half the applause that Erskine got when he went off. :lol:

Wonder what the delay was to get Melbourne on?

1 hour ago, Doolan9 said:

Anybody have any inside news or ideas on coulibaly at all ,positive or negative? Any info would be appreciated emoji1303.png

As copied from my post in the match thread

Don't shoot the messenger if this doesn't happen, but got told after the match yesterday, from a good source, that the club are hopeful that the Coulibaly situation MIGHT  be resolved next week and if so, he will be in the squad for the East Fife game. Time will tell, but if we get clearance what a gigantic boost that will be!

Yesterday was a pleasant surprise.  If Ntambwe can play the enforcer rule, if Bannigan can stay fit and actually string a good run of games together, and if McGinty is indeed much better than he had first seemed, then we're looking not too bad despite the slow summer and all the squad building concerns.  Still need a right back, but impossible not to be happy with yesterday (especially as the comedy disallowance didn't come back to haunt us!).

We should, of course, be given a 2-0 win and Doolan's goal recorded as a goal in retrospect ;-)

Edited by VictorOnopko